The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 31, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #4,802 of 7,725
TCM: All the comparisons that exist I put in the FAQ as I find them. There are none with the SB yet. If it's just the basic SB though, I'd imagine the Compass would be considerably better because of the higher quality components used, at the very least.

Those of you having your Compass shipped by DHL, when it arrives in your country, check that you don't get a "Clearance Delay" message. If you do, contact DHL locally straight away, unless you want it to sit there for weeks. I don't believe such problems exist with EMS.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #4,805 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraNice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did it, did the dirty deeds and paid the money.
Does he send you an email confirming your purchase?

Both times I ordered were the same. After communicating with Cherry, I sent the money via paypal, and then didn't hear back from her. I sent her an email to confirm, and she got back to me right away that the money had been received. So drop her a line if you're unsure.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #4,807 of 7,725
Quote:

I did it, did the dirty deeds and paid the money.
Does he send you an email confirming your purchase?

The reason you don't get a confirmation of PayPal payment is because :

Audio GD receives many payment through PayPal in a day, and since PayPal address can be different from the email address you use for normal communications, they are not sure who has made the payment, please follow up the PayPal payment with another email to Audio GD, stating that you made the payment of (whatever amount), following which you will receive a payment confirmation from Audio GD.

Well it already seems you got the confirmation, still I'll keep this as general information.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #4,808 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TCM: All the comparisons that exist I put in the FAQ as I find them. There are none with the SB yet. If it's just the basic SB though, I'd imagine the Compass would be considerably better because of the higher quality components used, at the very least.

Thanks Currawong, I just tried to tempt somebody to speak up if they hadn't already
smily_headphones1.gif
. What attracts me about the Compass (among other things) is the dac/headamp all-in-on possibility. I want a compact solution with my Squeezebox and this looks really nice.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #4,809 of 7,725
Gah. Well, I'm a DAC noob and I broke down and ordered one of these. After enough poking around the price just seemed too right and it has all the features I need. Ordered yesterday, they told me it will ship on April 10th.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #4,811 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just about to order one. So I'm guessing I just order by emailing to the address on the Audio GD website?

Yes, give them your complete order (including extra cables or opamps you might want) with the address (including phone number) it should be sent to. Then they can give you the quote for the complete amount due and you can transfer that by Paypal.

Mar 31, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #4,812 of 7,725
Quote:

*double*

How come everything i use Quick Reply, it posts twice?!

Quick reply uses AJAX (javascript) which can be flakey.

By the way, if anyone sees any comparisons between the Compass and any other device in threads other than this one, please let me know, and I'll link them.
beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #4,813 of 7,725
Its nice to see how far it has come in just a few months.
From Currawong's idea to audio-gd rolling out the final product.
The amount of attention generated, contribution to the design and finally purchases from the head-fi community was very impressive.

Doing our part in stimulating the economy.
beerchug.gif

Hope Kingwa starts shipping the next batch soon. I am looking forward to listening to it over the Easter long weekend.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #4,814 of 7,725
With all effort make by Currawong and others here in this forum. I'm now waiting for a new BALANCED HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER by Kingwa. I've bought some OPAmp from Audio GD, he's really a nice guy to deal with, so do Cherry also, they are both responsive and always try their best to solve a single problem.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #4,815 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all effort make by Currawong and others here in this forum. I'm now waiting for a new BALANCED HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER by Kingwa. I've bought some OPAmp from Audio GD, he's really a nice guy to deal with, so do Cherry also, they are both responsive and always try their best to solve a single problem.

This is quite funny. I asked Kingwa about whether the C2C would work balanced, and he replied he could put two of them in a big box to work balanced. Before I knew it, he said he'd completed the design and was wondering how many inputs it should have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back