The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 21, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #4,411 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know why Cherry asked for my phone number after ordering one?

She thinks you're Hot! Also Chicks dig guys who are into DACs.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #4,412 of 7,725
Boomer....yeah it's a tough decision, the Auzen Prelude card is very good as a transport and darn good as gaming card (if that is your preference). I haven't had any trouble with it's native ASIO driver. Sounds almost as good as the Vanguard CDM12 Pro, almost
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #4,413 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes sense, it's a size and weight thing. A lot of Chinese companies have a custom shipping box for each product that is designed for max protection in the smallest package. So they probably don't have twofer boxes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably have to scale up a bit more, so that they can get a bigger box for it, I've heard people save on shipping when they ordered 10. You're prob stuck with 2 same boxes for now.

You guys are right. I guess I was confused because of something Kingwa had said in an email about shipping for some of the heavier gear. Cherry has already got back to me to explain that it starts to matter at 21kg.

Since I got all grumpy about it here, I also should add that she was very nice, and offered to send both of them at $50 each, since that was the price of shipping when I made my initial order a week ago.

Awesome. I'll have two compasses coming.

Mar 21, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #4,414 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily my Dad never caught me. He brought back a bunch of the Coolest stuff I had ever seen from Viet Nam!

Never thought he was Cool at all, but in retrospect, that was pretty sharp for 1969-1970. Still Have the Sansui Receiver....

Very interesting, a blast from the past for sure. Same here, my parents Sansui w/ some pretty stout Jensen speakers was the first rig I ever abused...errr, I mean enjoyed...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 11:36 AM Post #4,415 of 7,725
Well, I just bit the bullet. Bought the compass plus a Moon/Sun module to mess around with, with the ones I like least probably ending up in the "for sale" forum soon. $366 with shipping. I am incredibly curious how this is going to compare to my current PC setup (modded x-fi + meta42 amp)!

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #4,416 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know why Cherry asked for my phone number after ordering one?

They may need to provide your phone number to EMS/DHL, along with your address, for shipping.

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #4,417 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I just bit the bullet. Bought the compass plus a Moon/Sun module to mess around with, with the ones I like least probably ending up in the "for sale" forum soon. !

Welcome to the club !..
smily_headphones1.gif
well I thought the same about the OPAs when I bought them, but somehow each one of them have their own typical sound signatures, and although I have the Earth on the Compass now, I keep reaching out for either the SUN or Moon on some particular music.. so its always handy.. IMHO.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #4,418 of 7,725
Hi every one.
This is my first post on Head-Fi, even though i have been sneak reading this fora forever, and i love it.

I just jumped on the Compass bandwagon with Moon, Earth and Sun. It's going to connect my PC to my Headphones and to my Amp, Speaker and Sub set-up.

I'm planning to build a AC Filter Silk 220 from the lampizator site made by Lukasz Fikus.
The Silk is feed by a big fat power cord, and Shielded power cords to the gear.
The only thing missing are good quality power plugs, i haven't been able to find any good ones, can someone help out in this? I live in Denmark so like the Kingwa number 3 plug.

Kingwa seems as a very nice chap. I asked him when mine will ship and he told me that so many have pre ordered that it is going to be beginning of April.
And also he said that he is going to stay at the 258$ forever as i understood it.
Quote:

I must said thanks all customers and all input at Head Fi forum to help me improve on the Compass.
In China, far-back book teach us : The friends give me a little water, while the friends need and I have ability, must a lot times to return.
So I thinking delay the initial promotional price end time.
Kingwa

Thank you.
L3000.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #4,419 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by marz.dk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And also he said that he is going to stay at the 258$ forever as i understood it.

No, he just said he might prolong the promotional period from the current promotional end date of May 31st. I don't think he should though
tongue.gif
I think we're the ones who should be grateful to him for making such a fine headphone dac/amp.

Since Monday I've been switching between the hdam's and LME49860NA, and I always preferred the hdam's, but the LME49860's do sound very neutral and with good detail. But the LME49860's sound flat and 2-d and bad bass definition, which detracts quite a bit from the realism of the music.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #4,420 of 7,725
marz.dk: Welcome. What you've passed on is very cool. Kingwa's enthusiasm for audio and sharing the enjoyment of listening to music is just wonderful.

haloxt: I tried 2x OP27E in the Compass, for fun, since my local electronics store had them. The result was absolutely beautiful mids. Not as clear as any of the HDAMs though.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #4,423 of 7,725
The compass is headed to a small headphone meet of about 20++ people in Singapore. Going to leave it running in overnight before I bring it down.

Have about 100 (+100 at kingwa) hours on it already, not much time for much more, let's see how it performs! Some other DACs will be there...

the zero, the DAC Magic, Lite DAC-Ah and the DIY Y1 DAC.

Hopefully I'll get some impressions from it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #4,424 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The compass is headed to a small headphone meet of about 20++ people in Singapore. Going to leave it running in overnight before I bring it down.

Have about 100 (+100 at kingwa) hours on it already, not much time for much more, let's see how it performs! Some other DACs will be there...

the zero, the DAC Magic, Lite DAC-Ah and the DIY Y1 DAC.

Hopefully I'll get some impressions from it
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers.. which hdam are you using for the meet?

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #4,425 of 7,725
Wow, Peete 400+ hours burning time for the Compass its amazing.

Halo do you think the LME49860NA will open up a bit after some burn in...like become more 3D.

I got my HD650 they were kept for a week at UK customs and they charged me £40 (greedy b££££££s...lol) it could have been more but its all good I went to peek it up myself.
I am using Burninwave Generator to burn them in...thanks somebody here recommended it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back