The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Mar 21, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #4,397 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is normal as the USB bus controller in the computer(via the XP/Vista) is trying to interface with the Compass USB section.

Peete.

Any idea how to turn it off? The system keeps recognising it and failing...

and looks like I should try to get a good onboard soundcard to skip the USB.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #4,398 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are using Vista, go to Control Panel>System>Advanced system settings(upper left corner)>Hardware tab>Windows Update Driver Settings>select "Never check for drivers when I connect a device."

Then again I heard of another problem like yours which has no solution or something
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #4,399 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll bet that was confusing!!

Nevermind all that.

Pre-amp and gain are not switched around. It's as it should be. I just looked at pictures of the the new back panel with labels and saw that I had read it improperly the first time. My unit has pre-amp labelled as Audio-GD and gain labelled as Compass so it was easy to get the two mixed up in my head.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #4,400 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by direcow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That isn't right. You need to associate the Compass device (USB device) in the control panel pop-up when you plug it in as an audio type device.....I can't remember the exact procedure but it stems from the initial use of the item you can tick off a box on the page that pops up (always use/open this device with - blah blah blah etc). So each time you start up the comp the USB controller sees the device as an audio USB SC and configures the proper driver for it through the O/S HAL interface. HAL is hardware abstraction layer ...geek speak for heart of the operating system and how it handles hardware via software drivers, anyway I'm sure I left out a billion words in that explanation....it all makes my head explode if I think too much about such things....(pooof....tiny wisp of smoke followed by a 1/4 watt flash)
biggrin.gif

As always I could be wrong and may be in this case. Hopefully someone who uses USB full time could help a little further.

Peete.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #4,401 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by renegade732 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nevermind all that.

Pre-amp and gain are not switched around. It's as it should be. I just looked at pictures of the the new back panel with labels and saw that I had read it improperly the first time. My unit has pre-amp labelled as Audio-GD and gain labelled as Compass so it was easy to get the two mixed up in my head.

Doh...slaps head......
bigsmile_face.gif

Peete.

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #4,402 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive hit the 97 hour mark of burn in. I honestly havent heard much change since the 48 hour mark. I think at the most it continued its tapered progression of refinement of the lower end to a nice balanced point. The trebles continued their increased presence to the current balanced state. All of this is, as stated before, with the Soft 2 setting (so as to burn all parts of the Compass). Im really quite curious what Neutral or Bright would sound like since its current state sounds neutral and balanced to me. Unless the Compass plateaus its burn in for a while and then starts another sharp burst of change down the road, I believe I may have hit the burned in state.

If this is the case, I am thinking that some modification is in order, I really want to play with the different HDAMs and jumper settings. The soundstage has slightly increased since its first day but nothing significant as far as I have been able to decipher, which is why I want to hear the soundstage of the Moon =O

If any of the original 18 have any insight into this possible burn in plateau that indicate that I shouldnt modify yet, please let me know =D

Give it time is my advice...you are well short of min time needed (400 hours ). Even if your unit had 100 hours (plus current 97) at Audio-gd that's still 203 hrs short of fully burned in ( HDAM and Compass ).

You have to have patience with Audio-gd gear. Just keep listening for now and resist the urge to monkey with the settings until it's time to do so.

Peete.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #4,403 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, having multiple devices connected to the same USB hub all sharing resources may not be ideal, neither is having a dac hooked up through an external usb hub. If you need to use more USB devices than just a dac, you could connect them to other ports (eSATA or firewire for external hard drives, or even put them in a NAS), or possibly install a second USB card to connect extra usb devices.

My experiment with an external ac powered usb hub was a dud, the latency was horrible for audio, keyboards, digital tablet,etc.

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #4,404 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It certainly seems like you've tried everything I would have tried. Maybe some further digging at the HP support site may uncover a user initiated solution as a last resort.

I have no issues with any of the digital outs with my desktop in terms of "glitches" using a Asus Max Formula, 2 gig DDR 2, Quad core P4, Auzen Prelude SC (used as transport) XP Pro SP3. I'll see what I can find with your mobo....it might be a south bridge driver causing a prob or it could be third party support...who knows for sure....and it could be Vista in this case...too many variables to narrow anything down although your due diligence thus far in trying to narrow down a possible cause is noteworthy and commendable.

Peete.

Thanks for the help, had to take a break from it for a while. I am looking at possible 2d video being the problem, at this point I am half in the bag of building a desktop, been trying to hold off, don't need something else to obsess over right now.

You happy with the Auzen SC?

Back to the Compass... With my limited experience in this realm I am very impressed with the Compass, I have been swapping out HDAMs, and playing with the modes and really cool how dramatic the changes are in sound. I'm not too worried about the burn in at the moment, I'm going to let a good friend of mine baby sit my Compass while I'm on a trip for about a week, I figure its the least I could do since it was his idea that I check it out in the first place
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #4,405 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by B00MERS00NER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experiment with an external ac powered usb hub was a dud, the latency was horrible for audio, keyboards, digital tablet,etc.

yeah, people should connect the compass directly to the onboard usb ports, and use the external ones for other things, even if it is plugged in directly to the mobo.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #4,406 of 7,725
Hey, has anyone ordered more than one Compass at a go? I asked Cherry about it, and she told me that there isn't a discount on the shipping. $54 shipping for one, $108 for two, according to the current price on their site. Does that seem right?

EDIT: playing around with the DHL rate inquiry page linked on Audio-gd, it doesn't seem like what she's telling me is right, unless it has something to do with the deal they have negotiated with DHL.

2nd EDIT: After careful examination of Cherry's email, I realize that she's talking about two separate shipments. So, back to the original question: has anyone been given a shipping quote for two Compass in one box? Should be lower for one 10.4 kg shipment than two 5.2 kg packages.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #4,407 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, has anyone ordered more than one Compass at a go? I asked Cherry about it, and she told me that there isn't a discount on the shipping. $54 shipping for one, $108 for two, according to the current price on their site. Does that seem right?

Makes sense, it's a size and weight thing. A lot of Chinese companies have a custom shipping box for each product that is designed for max protection in the smallest package. So they probably don't have twofer boxes.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #4,410 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by edselfordfong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT: playing around with the DHL rate inquiry page linked on Audio-gd, it doesn't seem like what she's telling me is right, unless it has something to do with the deal they have negotiated with DHL.

You probably have to scale up a bit more, so that they can get a bigger box for it, I've heard people save on shipping when they ordered 10. You're prob stuck with 2 same boxes for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back