The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,262 of 7,138
Looks like about half the weight if this is right.

Most of the weight is in the magnets and the metal driver frame that holds them in place so I don't think it will be a whole lot lighter overall.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #1,264 of 7,138
Quote:
First, it's not straight bamboo, it's a composite, which I don't see represented on that chart.
Second, I'm not sure you factored in what percentage of the weight of the overall phone is in the rings.
Third, Caribbean Rosewood isn't on the chart - Bolivia is in South America.

1) I don't think it's likely there's enough of the epoxy/resin that holds the bamboo pieces together to have much effect on its density.
2) I think the second line should make it clear I was only talking about the weight of the wooden ring being "about half".
3) The two species of rosewood that are listed both have similar density so its a good bet the Caribbean is similar too.

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #1,265 of 7,138
1) From a surfboard site that sells bamboo composite boards: (obviously not every composite is the same but according to them this is the stated goal of bamboo composites:
A composite is a synergistic mixture of different materials bound together that make the combination better than the individual parts. Composites are usually stronger, lighter, more weather-resistant or all of the above. If you are lucky, a composite will be cheaper than what it replaces. " 
That might not be the application with headphones - point is they do mix the materials together to make it lighter (or possibly heavier in some cases.)
2) That's why I wasn't sure - I left the possibility open that you were just discussing the rings
3) That's certainly possible, but two regions (Bolivia, East Indian) is not enough of a sampling to extrapolate from in my book.

This is really a pointless argument.  It comes more down to what assumptions you're comfortable making - obviously we have a difference of opinion on that.  I'm supposed to call Sankar in the next couple days to discuss LCD-3 pad options, I might as well ask him while I have him on the line.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #1,266 of 7,138
Quote:
1) From a surfboard site that sells bamboo composite boards: (obviously not every composite is the same but according to them this is the stated goal of bamboo composites:
A composite is a synergistic mixture of different materials bound together that make the combination better than the individual parts. Composites are usually stronger, lighter, more weather-resistant or all of the above. If you are lucky, a composite will be cheaper than what it replaces. "

It depends on what you count a a separate material.  Fiberglass and carbon fiber are often called composites but they usually only contain fibers of one material plus the epoxy resin.

The pictures show that the majority of the ring appear to be bamboo.  There could be something else inside but it doesn't fit the "green and renewable" vibe I was getting.

Apr 6, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #1,268 of 7,138
LCD-2 r4 will be plastic. And they'll assure us that it's because of the better acoustics, not the price.
And LCD-2 r5 will be plastic, more expensive and made in Asia. Also because of the better materials and atmospheric conditions, not the price.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #1,269 of 7,138
LCD-2 r6 will just be the drivers glued to your ears; the sound's purest that way I'm told. They'll offer to professionally glue them for you, just for a small service fee 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
LCD-2 r4 will be plastic. And they'll assure us that it's because of the better acoustics, not the price.
And LCD-2 r5 will be plastic, more expensive and made in Asia. Also because of the better materials and atmospheric conditions, not the price.

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #1,272 of 7,138

Quote:

DuPont has some lots engineering plastics, also custom colors.
biggrin.gif

How about individual custom machined aluminum or carbon-fiber earcups? Audeze may think about this.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #1,273 of 7,138
That will only spur a debate about which kind of glue is better...............
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
LCD-2 r6 will just be the drivers glued to your ears; the sound's purest that way I'm told. They'll offer to professionally glue them for you, just for a small service fee 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back