The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #1,246 of 7,138
Just finished my second night of A/Bing the Rev1 and Rev2, this time at lower "normal" levels.  Level matched to 74dB white noise for the interested.

Not surprising looking over my notes the stand outs are that the Rev1 can sound overly dark at lower volume and the Rev2 comes into its own.  The added heat and clarity of the Rev2 works at low volume but can become shouty and thin to me when turned up.  The Rev1 on the other hand I can always turn up to bring up the buried instruments and its not offensive.

If I listened at levels higher than 80dB on a regular basis, this would be a no contest.  But I usually listen at low volume so its a crap shoot.  If the Rev2 stays, the SilverDragon has to go though.  I prefer copper with it.  Also I'd either get a foam headband or swap the leather for my Rev1 foam because its just that much longer and a better fit to my head.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #1,248 of 7,138
I'm pretty sure he used the pink noise to calibrate the volume.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #1,251 of 7,138
Pink noise is pink, white noise is white! 
bigsmile_face.gif

On another note, does anyone else share the idea that the LCD2 requires a lot of power to sound their best???

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #1,252 of 7,138
First doh, it was white noise not pink.  Second pink noise tapers down the higher the frequency.  So where white would be 74dB at 20-20KHz, pink would be 74dB at 20Hz and (not the real number) 54dB at 20KHz for instance.

And Monkey is right, I have seen people here listen to pink or white noise when auditioning headphones.  These two nights of A/B used music, varied genres, to compare the two.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #1,253 of 7,138
Originally Posted by Solude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If the Rev2 stays, the SilverDragon has to go though.  I prefer copper with it.

Can you explain what you mean? I chose copper because I heard silver was bright and I don't like treble...much.

Chose the Q and never tried the Silver Dragon. Care to say what you didn't like about it? Is it good with the Rev. 1?

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #1,254 of 7,138

Quote:
Pink noise is pink, white noise is white! 
bigsmile_face.gif

On another note, does anyone else share the idea that the LCD2 requires a lot of power to sound their best???

I had experienced this before. I am using AudioGD NFB-10SE. My friend set to high gain and turn the volume up to 20 and played it about 15 minutes and listened to LCD2r2 (cause he likes to listen music in very very loud condition). 

Normally, i am listening through the said amp @ high gain @ volume 4 ~ 5 only. After what my friend did, i listen to the LCD2r2 again and i felt that the sound quality was changed, its performance was improved!

Everything was extended, vocal sounds more life and every instrumentation's bass feel more strong, more power (like you set your car gear to Neutral and you push the accelerator pedal).

This is what i feel, and it is more enjoyable. 
L3000.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #1,255 of 7,138
I find the Silver Dragon to have less bloom than the stock copper cord.  Almost a compressed quality with a crystaline treble.  The stock copper is fuller down low and more rounded up top.  Rev2, copper.  Rev1, silver.  As for amps, I don't subscribe to the max power affecting sound quality... in a positive way.  The fact is that the Rev2 although less efficient than the Rev1 still requires less than 1mW to reach 90dB.  I listen at 74dB most of the time, so even less power.  There will never be a time where the LCD-2 is putting out 90dB and using more than 1mW.  Reserves are nice, but lets be reasonable here.  That said, amps wise for me the Dynalo for the Rev1, Beta22 for Rev2.

Also the new Schiit balanced amp just looks /drool but 5W into LCD-2, that puppy better be dead silent :wink:

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #1,256 of 7,138
I had the Lyr with the LCD-2 and it was not silent for me :O(. Quite a loud hum - I am hoping the Statements don't have the same problem.

I have no idea regarding my listening levels. I should really have a noise meter to see. I have a feeling to listen quite loudly...

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,257 of 7,138
I find the Silver Dragon to have less bloom than the stock copper cord.  Almost a compressed quality with a crystaline treble.  The stock copper is fuller down low and more rounded up top.  Rev2, copper.  Rev1, silver.  As for amps, I don't subscribe to the max power affecting sound quality in a positive way just because it has massive reserves.  That said, Rev1 paired to a Dynalo, Rev2 to a Beta22.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #1,258 of 7,138
Thanks.  I was thinking about getting one of those.  I think Jude uses one with his LCD3 but not sure.

Quote:
I find the Silver Dragon to have less bloom than the stock copper cord.  Almost a compressed quality with a crystaline treble.  The stock copper is fuller down low and more rounded up top.  Rev2, copper.  Rev1, silver.  As for amps, I don't subscribe to the max power affecting sound quality in a positive way just because it has massive reserves.  That said, Rev1 paired to a Dynalo, Rev2 to a Beta22.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,259 of 7,138
Apr 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #1,260 of 7,138

Users who are viewing this thread

Back