The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #1,231 of 7,138
After borrowing the HD800s and HE-500s for three weeks, I just posted some thoughts in the HD800 appreciation thread.  Some of you may find it of interest.  To keep a long story short though, I still prefer the LCD-2s given what they bring to the table compared to the HD800.  I didn't find the HE-500 in the same conversation as the other two, though it was excellent in it's own right.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,232 of 7,138
For the price compared to the other two the 500 should be in the conversation. Is it on the same level as the lcd2 and the hd800, not quite, does the price make up for it, yes.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #1,233 of 7,138
Sure, if you're talking value that's a different matter, recently they have been $500 used and hard to argue there.  However I have a hard time forgetting they were once $900 and *tried* to compete with LCD-2s and HD800s.  

(To elaborate on why I didn't find them on the same level sonically: they had some great tonal balance, like modern day HD600s, but they did not have the extension of the HD800s or LCD-2s.  There was a problem with linearity in the bass, it wasn't well defined.  The presentation was completely intimate and lacked any spatial depth or stage.  It didn't leverage spatial details my source was resolving.  It def. had great separation and was very engaging otherwise.)

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,234 of 7,138
I never thought they were on the same level as the lcd2. That is why back before the price decrease I had suggested that they should lower the price so they will have a nice niche market. I personally didnt think the stage or depth was bad. I actually though it was better than the lcd2, but the positioning of instruments and spacing wasnt as defined as the lcd2. The bass while having a hump in it was still pretty good. Not as tight as the lcd2 but not as loose as a d7000. I heard they have different pads now? Maybe that makes the difference?

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #1,235 of 7,138
Quote:
I never thought they were on the same level as the lcd2. That is why back before the price decrease I had suggested that they should lower the price so they will have a nice niche market. I personally didnt think the stage or depth was bad. I actually though it was better than the lcd2, but the positioning of instruments and spacing wasnt as defined as the lcd2. The bass while having a hump in it was still pretty good. Not as tight as the lcd2 but not as loose as a d7000. I heard they have different pads now? Maybe that makes the difference?

The pair I had was using Beyer pads.  Could be the difference, although according to the owner there wasn't much difference to the pads from stock aside from comfort.  On my system there was no stage to speak of, it was just a brick wall of details, albiet well separated details.  "Lack of positioning" sounds about right.  Could just be we're saying the same thing but using different words.  Positioning of instruments and space between them falls under the "staging" umbrella to me.  Agree on the bass being looser than LCD-2 and tighter than the D7K.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #1,240 of 7,138
I just saw series shots of the Bamboo version and I don't like the look.  I was thinking the Bamboo would look more like a veneer layering.  I much prefer mine!

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #1,241 of 7,138
Any LCD2 owners here have tried the Labkable custom cables? If so, are they worth the $400 asking price for a balanced XLR 1.2meter long cable?? From what I've read so far which is not much is that its one of the best aftermarket custom cables out there 'apparantly', sure I can make my own, but I don't have any thick gauge (only 24awg) of pure silver lying around and buying some will add up the cost. I also read that the LCD2 benefits from a thicker gauge wire if I do go the DIY route which substantially allows the large amounts of current to flow nice and freely due to it being an Ortho...

Any other input on this will be greatly appreciated...

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,244 of 7,138
Compare in what sense?  I'm not sure there are any that can equal every aspect of the LCD-2s merits and presentation.  But the Earsonics SM3s are the closest universals I've heard.  They have a similar tonal balance, good separation, tonal weight and plenty of bass detail.  They are similarly slightly shelved in the upper registers, but are less so than the LCD-2s.  Not bad for about $235 used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back