The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Mar 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,216 of 7,138
Guys, now seriously, I had had previously stated that the "no other expensive buy would be set for the next 2-3 years". But 

1. I didn't say anything about a 150-300$ amp :D

2. I bet you all know how it is to look at gear, and just say to yourselves ... "I need something MORE" :D

Currently considering E17+HE400+Fischer F-002W ==> a few hundred euros less, closed cans for when my gf is in the room, etc
E17+LCD2 ==> road open for further upgrade

I still have time to decide. :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #1,219 of 7,138

Quote:
This is what I would've chosen. My friend says HE400 is actually very good.
Trapping yourself so it's harder to upgrade may be a wiser choice. :wink:

It's fantastic for the price, but lacks of the refinement in the mids that LCD2's or HE500's hold. Also extension is not as good (though, again, great for its price). However it holds the significant advantage of being very easily driven relative to higher up planar magnetic cans.

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,220 of 7,138
Well, it's not unreasonable to expect a lower performance from a lower costing headphone. :) We all make sacrifices. 
I think he posted that he prefers warmth, hence my suggestion, ATH-W1000X.
Quote:
It's fantastic for the price, but lacks of the refinement in the mids that LCD2's or HE500's hold. Also extension is not as good (though, again, great for its price). However it holds the significant advantage of being very easily driven relative to higher up planar magnetic cans.

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,221 of 7,138
The LCD2 is one of the best headphones ever made, and I always tell people that regardless of how fail your setup is, get good headphones as a priority.  They will sound better out of even a Fiio DAP than my HE400s out of a $5000 desktop rig.  You can upgrade your system later, and LCD2 aren't that hard to drive although they do improve significantly with better gear.  

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #1,222 of 7,138

Quote:
Currently considering E17+HE400+Fischer F-002W ==> a few hundred euros less, closed cans for when my gf is in the room, etc
E17+LCD2 ==> road open for further upgrade

I still have time to decide. :)

I'd wait with the audezes. They make new revision every 6-7 months. You can make the latest model if you wait untill you're ready with the money for the amp :)

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #1,223 of 7,138

Quote:
The LCD2 is one of the best headphones ever made, and I always tell people that regardless of how fail your setup is, get good headphones as a priority.  They will sound better out of even a Fiio DAP than my HE400s out of a $5000 desktop rig.  You can upgrade your system later, and LCD2 aren't that hard to drive although they do improve significantly with better gear.  

I agree with what you advocate, but that's just a bit of a stretch there. Sure HE400's are a whole level below LCD2's in terms of refinement, but when well-ampped they are still a force to be reckoned with.

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #1,224 of 7,138
Having such a hobby is already lurking like a specter around me. I was like "sure, than maybe it's better to get the best of the best, and then I won't throw money at another 3-4-5-6-7 headphones". And imediately after that, "hey, LCD's are great, sure, but now I'm dead curious so hear the warm signature of the HE400, I bet it's fun, and hey, the Fischers with the wooden cups, how cool would that be in that price range, huh?".

I just stoped ... lost the air out of my lungs, and said to myself "Ooooohhhhh myyyyyyy Goooooooooood?!?!?!?!?!?!      IT STARTED TO TURN ME !!!"

On a different level, my B-Day is at the end of April, so HELL NO, I won't go past the first week of May with my patience for headphones. :) Thank God I need to be out of town for a week and a half, otherwise I would've tormented myself up to the point of going nuts.

Ordered the E17 last night, I should receive it on Tuesday, or something like that. From digimania, Belgium. Very nice person on the phone, even opened a box to tell me what bundle it comes with. So yesterday they had quite a few in stock from what she told me, 129 euros + 10 euros transport in the Western Europe.

Seriously ... sound drives people mad... MAD, I tell you! 

Have a nice Sunday!

p.s. now wanting again to get the LCD-2's, btw. :D

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #1,225 of 7,138
How would the LCD-2s (Rev 1 and Rev 2) sounds on a FiiO E10? I'm in the middle of selling everything I don't use and is worth money (Including my beloved $350 keyboard, you will be missed) to buy these things and finally get myself into mid/high end audio.
Unfortunately all I have is a FiiO E10, I absolutely love it but I'm unsure on if it'll be suitable for an LCD-2, power wise, ofcourse higher end amplifiers will sound better but from what I've seen on Head-Fi so far, a lot of the differences are exaggerated profoundly!

In short, will the FiiO E10 be powerful enough to run the LCD-2 without sibilance or cutting in/out, from my short time with the HE-6s the FiiO E10 actually ran it smoothly without any cutting, however quite a few of my sources had sibilance, unsure on if this was the FiiO E10 or the sources themselves.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,226 of 7,138
Should also add selling things you don't own. *********...

Quote:
How would the LCD-2s (Rev 1 and Rev 2) sounds on a FiiO E10? I'm in the middle of selling everything I don't use and is worth money (Including my beloved $350 keyboard, you will be missed) to buy these things and finally get myself into mid/high end audio.
Unfortunately all I have is a FiiO E10, I absolutely love it but I'm unsure on if it'll be suitable for an LCD-2, power wise, ofcourse higher end amplifiers will sound better but from what I've seen on Head-Fi so far, a lot of the differences are exaggerated profoundly!

In short, will the FiiO E10 be powerful enough to run the LCD-2 without sibilance or cutting in/out, from my short time with the HE-6s the FiiO E10 actually ran it smoothly without any cutting, however quite a few of my sources had sibilance, unsure on if this was the FiiO E10 or the sources themselves.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #1,227 of 7,138

Quote:
Should also add selling things you don't own. *********...

We've been over this already, I sold it after HiFiMAN gave me their go ahead (almost two weeks after in-fact in-case they changed their mind) which is a lot more than what most people would have done, this no longer needs to be discussed.
I've had a long and interesting conversation with HiFiMAN and many of their representatives and they do great business and I'll continue to buy their products as they're a fantastic company, owning to their mistake and just letting me keep their flagship headphone is something not a lot of companies can say they've done and just goes to show that their customer service is very important to them.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #1,228 of 7,138
The Fiio drives the AKG 272 very, very nicely. I do not think the LCD-2 should be any different, although I've never tried since I've equipped my wife with the E10/272 at her office far away from my LCDs. 

The "cutting in/out" is probably the USB-connection, not an amping problem. 

Rev.1 is easier to driver than the rev.2 I think the rev.1 is very nice. It has a less agressive treble, if that is of any concern for you. 
Quote:

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #1,229 of 7,138

Quote:
The Fiio drives the AKG 272 very, very nicely. I do not think the LCD-2 should be any different, although I've never tried since I've equipped my wife with the E10/272 at her office far away from my LCDs. 

The "cutting in/out" is probably the USB-connection, not an amping problem. 

Rev.1 is easier to driver than the rev.2 I think the rev.1 is very nice. It has a less agressive treble, if that is of any concern for you. 

I see, thankyou very much for the reply, I'm looking towards the LCD-2 Rev.1 simply because it's cheaper by around $100-150 and I've heard it's a little easier to drive.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back