The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Nov 27, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #3,586 of 7,138
Quote:
I have a large head as well (or at least lower than average ears) and with the longer posts, I have no comfort issues with the LCD-2.  In fact, for me the only phones more comfortable are the HD800's.  The K701's didn't even come close to covering my ears, luckily I thought they sounded awful so it didn't matter.  It seems like Sennheiser typically has the most adjustment range.

Yes, my pair came today, and I'll need the longer posts for long term comfort. The clamping pressure is a bit high but I'm confident it's manageable with some "adjustments". 

I have a pair of Revel Studio 2's that are my reference, and these are not far off. That is no small accomplishment. Hopefully with some tweaking / break-in I'll be to get them even closer.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #3,588 of 7,138
Headphone.com
MoonAudio
HeadAmp
to name a few

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #3,590 of 7,138
Quote:
Hi guys, i would like to share a little mod on my LCD-2 rev.1

I've replaced the thin cable between the mini xlr connectors and the drivers with a OCC 7N Copper

Unfortunately i cannot talk yet about change in sound because i'm restoring my Beta 22.

Anyone know what kind of cable is the stock cable?

This is the stock cable....

And this is the mod.....

I replied back to the other thread you posted the same pictures on while ago. You are the 3rd person that I know from these board's that has done this mod (other than myself and another ex-member). The cable used is standard teflon insulated SPC (cheap stuff you can get from navships).

Judging from the 2nd picture you did not solder the end's properly/partially soldered, you need to remove the leftover cable bit's from the 4-pin mini XLR jack and have it directly soldered to there, it is fairly difficult to get it right and you must have a very long and fine tipped soldering iron to do it. As for sound improvement, doubt you will hear any at all, not even subtle amounts. I used Piccolino for mine because my aftermarket cable is Piccolino so yeh. You just voided your warranty for zero improvements. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #3,591 of 7,138
Quote:
Headphone.com
MoonAudio
HeadAmp
to name a few

I just sold out of the LCD-2, but more are on the way.  i've also decided to stock both the Bamboo & Rosewood after some requests, along with the 4-pin balanced cable.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 28, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #3,592 of 7,138
Quote:

I replied back to the other thread you posted the same pictures on while ago. You are the 3rd person that I know from these board's that has done this mod (other than myself and another ex-member). The cable used is standard teflon insulated SPC (cheap stuff you can get from navships).

Judging from the 2nd picture you did not solder the end's properly/partially soldered, you need to remove the leftover cable bit's from the 4-pin mini XLR jack and have it directly soldered to there, it is fairly difficult to get it right and you must have a very long and fine tipped soldering iron to do it. As for sound improvement, doubt you will hear any at all, not even subtle amounts. I used Piccolino for mine because my aftermarket cable is Piccolino so yeh. You just voided your warranty for zero improvements. 
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the advice....i will solder it properly 
wink_face.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #3,597 of 7,138
I recently upgraded my LCD-2.2s to the LCD-3 earpads and personally, I'm not enjoying the change in sound.  It moved the music back from the ear making it sound distant, plus it seems to have added a veil to the instruments, along with toning down the bass impact significantly.  It does sound more like my LCD-3s, but I am under the impression that the LCD-3s driver is accommodating for those audio changes and is designed to respond accordingly to make it enjoyable.  

On the LCD-2.2s, however, the sound is not enjoyable.  I had high hopes for the LCD-3 ear pads because on the actual LCD-3s they feel marvelous in comparison.  However, on the LCD-2s, the sound just isn't what it used to be.  I guess the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I will be swapping out the ear pads for the LCD-2 vegan option and seeing how that works out.

The installation itself was quite easy.  Once you get passed the first PSA install, the other one is a breeze.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #3,598 of 7,138
Quote:
Not trying to be flamebait, but can someone elaborate on why they would buy something other than the stock LCD-2 cable? I've found with most cables, as long as they're not microphonic or heavy it's not an issue. Who are we kidding, the headphones are heavy and most of the slack in the cable is resting on my lap or the floor. Just curious if anyone noticed anything inherently wrong with the stock cable. I find it interesting that Audeze actually has a lot of technical specs (which I don't understand - but looks impressive) which is more than what I can find from a lot of 3rd party cable retailers.

IMO cable does NOT make a difference, it's been A/B'd numerous times (Feel free to research the term "Audiophoolery"). If they are for egronomic reasons,looks or bragging rights, then maybe its worth it. Unless you are going from from some extremely fine cable I highly doubt you will hear anything different. Save the money and take the old lady out for a meal and a few drinks, the rewards are much better.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #3,599 of 7,138
Quote:
Hi, just bought LCD2 (rev.2) and Schiit Lyr (JJ tubes). Great sound and everything!...apart from one thing - I would like the soundstage to be more spacious, to have more air.
The thing is especially apparent to me when listening to soundtracks like Dark Knight, Tron, Inception or some 'spacious' electronic music.

Is there a way to "increase" the soundstage of the LCD2s?

Different tubes for Lyr?
Appropriate DAC? Which one? (At the moment my temporary source is just an iPod 5G classic, but it was used as a source also for my other headphones (e.g. Audio-Technica W5000) and I didn't notice any contraction of the soundstage)

Kick the tubes and go SS, something with decent power and a output impedance below 1 ohm. You won't regret it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3,600 of 7,138
Quote:
IMO cable does NOT make a difference, it's been A/B'd numerous times (Feel free to research the term "Audiophoolery"). If they are for egronomic reasons,looks or bragging rights, then maybe its worth it. Unless you are going from from some extremely fine cable I highly doubt you will hear anything different. Save the money and take the old lady out for a meal and a few drinks, the rewards are much better.

What if you're single? Take yourself out for a meal and a few drinks maybe?
tongue_smile.gif

Any audiophile that can't hear the subtle differences that a good and not so good cable brings isn't any cleverer or not an "Audiophool" ... They just don't have good enough hearing. And should IMO maybe not spend that much money on audio equipment at all. Instead, they should perhaps take a leaf out of your book and eat and drink themselves into obesity and alcoholism instead.
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back