The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Nov 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,571 of 7,138
I'm considering purchase of an LCD-2 pair but all the talk of headbands and comfort has me a bit concerned. I have a fairly large head and have had problems with headband adjustment range - for example the AKG K701s are just too small for me. I haven't had a problem with either Senns or Beyerdynamic phones though.

Is the LCD 2 likely to be a problem for me?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #3,572 of 7,138
Quote:
How is the bass impact of the LCD-2 for electronica?  Is it more or less than the HD600/HD650?

It is pretty good, but if you listen to fast or complex mixed electronic tracks, the LCD-2 shows slightly of it's weakness of being bit slow and slightly congested sounding. Having electronica as one of my main genre's I listen to and owning both the HD600 and LCD2 (and have already listened to the HD650 and rev.2 lost count of times), the bass on the LCD2 is more than the HD600/HD650, it goes down deeper and slightly more rumble (sub-bass). The HD600/650 sound more neutral to my ear's in terms of the bass department.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #3,573 of 7,138
Quote:
I'm considering purchase of an LCD-2 pair but all the talk of headbands and comfort has me a bit concerned. I have a fairly large head and have had problems with headband adjustment range - for example the AKG K701s are just too small for me. I haven't had a problem with either Senns or Beyerdynamic phones though.

It shouldn't but if it does, Audeze offer's free? longer post for the headband adjuster?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #3,574 of 7,138
Quote:
It is pretty good, but if you listen to fast or complex mixed electronic tracks, the LCD-2 shows slightly of it's weakness of being bit slow and slightly congested sounding. Having electronica as one of my main genre's I listen to and owning both the HD600 and LCD2 (and have already listened to the HD650 and rev.2 lost count of times), the bass on the LCD2 is more than the HD600/HD650, it goes down deeper and slightly more rumble (sub-bass). The HD600/650 sound more neutral to my ear's in terms of the bass department.

Would you be able to comment on how they sound with female vocals compared to the HD600?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,575 of 7,138
Quote:

Would you be able to comment on how they sound with female vocals compared to the HD600?

Both are equally good, but I would say the LCD2's may have a bit more texture and detail to it. What else is good about the LCD2 is that you can run it efficiently and still have a decent sounding sound out of it. The HD600's to me are bit more pronounced but slightly more harder to drive. It's sort of hard to describe without hearing it for yourself. The HD600's are lot more warmer than the two though and for jazz and classical the HD600 just does it perfect with my Crack, the LCD2 on the other hand plays back everything well regardless of genre.

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #3,577 of 7,138
Quote:
I got the longer posts, and the do help a lot. But they were not free. They cost 30 dollars.

Well, I guess I can live with that. ORDERED 
smily_headphones1.gif

Still, why not just make the posts long to begin with?

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #3,579 of 7,138
Quote:

I have a large head as well (or at least lower than average ears) and with the longer posts, I have no comfort issues with the LCD-2.  In fact, for me the only phones more comfortable are the HD800's.  The K701's didn't even come close to covering my ears, luckily I thought they sounded awful so it didn't matter.  It seems like Sennheiser typically has the most adjustment range.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #3,580 of 7,138
How is the clarity and liveliness of the LCD-2 at moderate to low volumes?  What I mean is do they need to be cranked in order to sound lively and snappy or do they still have a nice solid presentation at lower volumes.  The one thing I don't like about the HD600 is that it kind of goes flat at lower volumes and I end of having to crank them quite a bit to get that snappiness and energy which ends up making my ears fatigued much quicker.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3,581 of 7,138
^ I don't make a habit of it but I have been surprised to find they do sound good at low to moderate volumes. Other than the obvious loss of low-level information once it falls below audibility, the overall character of tracks seems largely unchanged.

YMMV of course., e.g. this might be genre-dependent, along with the usual provisos of differences between and within listeners' attentional focus, brain-decoding etc etc.

Nov 27, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #3,582 of 7,138
Thanks for everyone's help in answering my questions, now the hardest part is deciding on the rosewood vs the bamboo.
biggrin.gif
  I'm really torn since the rosewood looks so classy but people are saying the bamboo is much stronger.  UGH!!

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #3,583 of 7,138
Quote:
How is the clarity and liveliness of the LCD-2 at moderate to low volumes?  What I mean is do they need to be cranked in order to sound lively and snappy or do they still have a nice solid presentation at lower volumes.  The one thing I don't like about the HD600 is that it kind of goes flat at lower volumes and I end of having to crank them quite a bit to get that snappiness and energy which ends up making my ears fatigued much quicker.

I'd say that this is what the LCD2's excel at, there isn't a great lot of change with low level listening. I think Tyll appreciated this too on his review. I listen at low to sometimes moderate volume and I don't hear much difference if any, in regards to dynamics and speed etc. My HE500's on the other hand defo benefit from a little more volume.   

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #3,584 of 7,138
Quote:

In my setup the LCD-2s are better at low volumes than the HD600s, but they do still seem to exhibit some improvement so I have to resist the call of the volume knob.

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help in answering my questions, now the hardest part is deciding on the rosewood vs the bamboo.
biggrin.gif
  I'm really torn since the rosewood looks so classy but people are saying the bamboo is much stronger.  UGH!!

If you like the look of the rosewood then get that. As long as you're at all careful with them they'll be fine. The only real point of failure before was at the connectors and that's been addressed for a while now.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #3,585 of 7,138
Hi guys, i would like to share a little mod on my LCD-2 rev.1

I've replaced the thin cable between the mini xlr connectors and the drivers with a OCC 7N Copper

Unfortunately i cannot talk yet about change in sound because i'm restoring my Beta 22.

Anyone know what kind of cable is the stock cable?

This is the stock cable....

And this is the mod.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back