The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,171 of 1,921
Quote:

I greatly prefer my M50 over my TF10... How does the CKM500's sound signature compare to that of the M50?

Not too dissimilar, both have a slight U shape, more so the M50.  M50 U is from a recessed upper mid, CKM500 U is from a recessed lower mid.  500 has cleaner treble, M50 has cleaner bass.  

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #1,172 of 1,921
Quote:
I wasn't using the Meel tips. Just the TF10 blue tips and the custom tips. listening to the CKM500 with the custom tips now. Not bad but cuts the bass some for me (although the CKM500 has too much bass anyway that can get muddy sometimes).

I agree that the CKM500 can have muddy bass, burn in has done away with much of that for me though, along with tightening the bass/sub bass.  Also, I cut the mid bass at 125hz by -4db, the same as I did with the mid bass hump on the W4R, with the same result, muddy bass is diminished, and that creates more clarity with the vocals, personal taste applied, a recommended EQ setting used by others that have the W4R!

I really admire your comments and impressions, I don't have your writing skills and admittedly have a problem with expressing my thoughts without my feet getting stuck in my mouth, LOL.  Glad to have you as a trusted, gifted contributor on Head-fi!

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,173 of 1,921
Quote:
I wasn't using the Meel tips. Just the TF10 blue tips and the custom tips. listening to the CKM500 with the custom tips now. Not bad but cuts the bass some for me (although the CKM500 has too much bass anyway that can get muddy sometimes).

What color are your custom tips?  I have white, preferred by Dale and me....I also have black (two pair).....Dale admits that their quality is quit below the white and clear both in comfort and sound!

The white are flexible, comfortable and soft in comparison to the black, which are very firm with a different hole size!  They do sound different enough to tell the difference!

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #1,174 of 1,921
Only knew there was clear. So that's what I have.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #1,175 of 1,921
Quote:
Only knew there was clear. So that's what I have.

Well, I guess nothing is perfect....another variable due to the silicone formula!  Dale stated he was very pleased with how the white turned out, the black custom tips hurt my ears and don't get used, hard to insert as well!  Done with the OT!

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #1,176 of 1,921
Not too dissimilar, both have a slight U shape, more so the M50.  M50 U is from a recessed upper mid, CKM500 U is from a recessed lower mid.  500 has cleaner treble, M50 has cleaner bass.  

I actually sniffing around on some old threads on this site, and found one about house sounds, not sute if you remember. You said the M50's V-shape wasn't actually a V-shape, but moreso a powerful upper bass. Does the same go for the CKM500?

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #1,177 of 1,921
Hi guys, I'm quite new to the world of audio, and I'm wondering between the CKM500 and the JXD80s. The only other pair of IEMs I've ever had were ATs, but I'm not sure of the model. I bought those based off a recommendation from my sister who has done her research (she basically told me, "Just get Audio Technica, you can't really go wrong with their IEMs. And stay away from Skull Candy!"). I believe she owns a pair of ATH CK7s if anyone's wondering. But in the last 3 days I've done a lot of reading on these forums and wow. I learned quite a lot about IEMs in general, maintenance, and the importance of tips... I never knew these things had such depth to them haha 
tongue.gif

I'm leaning towards the CKM500s since they are a lot cheaper ($59 from cdjapan not including shipping) than the JXD80s ($110 on ebay I think), so I was wondering, for a person who isn't too picky with subtle differences in sound style, should I stay with the CKM500s? I listen to all kinds of music (alt. rock, classical, hip hop, rap, house, techno, trance...) and I remember reading AT's are usually great all-around IEMs. My friend's currently pushing me to get CKM500 cause he really wants a pair too (after I showed him Dsnuts's review) and we might be able to save a bit on shipping if we buy them together. It doesn't help either that the CKM500 gold looks freakin' gorgeous and the jxd80s are downright beautiful. I try not to include aesthetics into my decision, but I can't really help it when they're both really nice looking, which is why I haven't really considered other IEMs 
biggrin.gif

Now I'm reading about DAC/Amps. I never knew these things existed too! I always thought that anything that had an audio jack playing the same music would differ in sound quality based on only the speakers/phones. I'm looking into the portable DAC-Amp-combo, but I don't know if I really need them. I think it'd be worth it to get one though, cause I'd use it with my desktop, laptop, car, and my android phone. Should I invest in one?

Reading about IEMs and everything is surprisingly fascinating. I can see why you guys have it as a hobby :)

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #1,179 of 1,921
Regarding the ear tips... the longer I listen to with bigger bore hole tips, I notice that actually the sound become disintegrated. Yes it seems cleaner, yes it seems wider, but disintegrated... when I switch back to the original tip, I "feel" that the sound become integrated again...

So, I supposed, at least for my ear, the original tip produce a better sounding... If I want to shelf down the bass, I use equalization... playing with the tips seems did not work well for me...

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #1,180 of 1,921
Hi guys, I'm quite new to the world of audio, and I'm wondering between the CKM500 and the JXD80s. The only other pair of IEMs I've ever had were ATs, but I'm not sure of the model. I bought those based off a recommendation from my sister who has done her research (she basically told me, "Just get Audio Technica, you can't really go wrong with their IEMs. And stay away from Skull Candy!"). I believe she owns a pair of ATH CK7s if anyone's wondering. But in the last 3 days I've done a lot of reading on these forums and wow. I learned quite a lot about IEMs in general, maintenance, and the importance of tips... I never knew these things had such depth to them haha :p .

I'm leaning towards the CKM500s since they are a lot cheaper ($59 from cdjapan not including shipping) than the JXD80s ($110 on ebay I think), so I was wondering, for a person who isn't too picky with subtle differences in sound style, should I stay with the CKM500s? I listen to all kinds of music (alt. rock, classical, hip hop, rap, house, techno, trance...) and I remember reading AT's are usually great all-around IEMs. My friend's currently pushing me to get CKM500 cause he really wants a pair too (after I showed him Dsnuts's review) and we might be able to save a bit on shipping if we buy them together. It doesn't help either that the CKM500 gold looks freakin' gorgeous and the jxd80s are downright beautiful. I try not to include aesthetics into my decision, but I can't really help it when they're both really nice looking, which is why I haven't really considered other IEMs :D .

Now I'm reading about DAC/Amps. I never knew these things existed too! I always thought that anything that had an audio jack playing the same music would differ in sound quality based on only the speakers/phones. I'm looking into the portable DAC-Amp-combo, but I don't know if I really need them. I think it'd be worth it to get one though, cause I'd use it with my desktop, laptop, car, and my android phone. Should I invest in one?

Reading about IEMs and everything is surprisingly fascinating. I can see why you guys have it as a hobby :)

I love my FXD80 but based off your music tastes and not being really familiar with the differences in sound I would save your money and get the AT's.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,181 of 1,921
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm quite new to the world of audio, and I'm wondering between the CKM500 and the JXD80s. The only other pair of IEMs I've ever had were ATs, but I'm not sure of the model. I bought those based off a recommendation from my sister who has done her research (she basically told me, "Just get Audio Technica, you can't really go wrong with their IEMs. And stay away from Skull Candy!"). I believe she owns a pair of ATH CK7s if anyone's wondering. But in the last 3 days I've done a lot of reading on these forums and wow. I learned quite a lot about IEMs in general, maintenance, and the importance of tips... I never knew these things had such depth to them haha 
tongue.gif

I'm leaning towards the CKM500s since they are a lot cheaper ($59 from cdjapan not including shipping) than the JXD80s ($110 on ebay I think), so I was wondering, for a person who isn't too picky with subtle differences in sound style, should I stay with the CKM500s? I listen to all kinds of music (alt. rock, classical, hip hop, rap, house, techno, trance...) and I remember reading AT's are usually great all-around IEMs. My friend's currently pushing me to get CKM500 cause he really wants a pair too (after I showed him Dsnuts's review) and we might be able to save a bit on shipping if we buy them together. It doesn't help either that the CKM500 gold looks freakin' gorgeous and the jxd80s are downright beautiful. I try not to include aesthetics into my decision, but I can't really help it when they're both really nice looking, which is why I haven't really considered other IEMs 
biggrin.gif

The most important update are the earphones. And also usually iems are not that much affected by an amp so keeping it light and portable is great and easy since they are easily drived by a decent mp3player, iphone or smartphone.. Later one and after researching you can jumb on the amp-dac and other components wagon.

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,183 of 1,921
The difference is. One is special the other isn't. The CK500 are ATs version of the cheapo consumer oriented earphones that never seem to sell all that well. I have a pair of CK303s while they are ok for normal use. I would skip these and go directly to a CKM300 or a CKM500 for not much more. These are ATs version of Panasonic cheapo earphones. AKA HJE120- HJE350 and such.  The type you see at airports. Cheap but good enough earphones. There is going to be a new version of these by the way the new CK505. These might be a bit more interesting. New housing design. Might have to try these out.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,184 of 1,921
Quote:
CKM500 is a quite nice IEM. I've been A/Bing it against ASG-1.2 tonight. Unfortunately it can't compete with the ASG-1.2 (although the ASG-1.2 is a good $100 to $150 more). CKM500 has more forward highs and that's about it. Details, weight, depth and 3-Dism is just amazing in the ASG-1.2. But I did the CKM500 quite a bit.

Cute, I tried the custom tips one time on the ckm500 and it cut the bass significantly to my ears, but I will try it out again.

Just got my second pair of CKM500 gold....listening to these and my black pair with over 300hrs, the bass is significantly different.  The gold pair bass is boomy, muddy, loose, all over the place, no control or tightness at all.  If I had to listen to them like this, I would not be keeping them.  Mids and highs not bad, but the highs at this point are overdone compared to the black pair with 300hrs burn in.  This proves to me that burn in makes a significant difference with the CKM500, just as Dsnuts says.  I am gonna run some extreme burn in with the Dr. Chesky Binural album (bass, drums, pipe organ, some of the dynamic music tracks) on the gold pair, probably at least 200hrs, and do a comparison again, will report back when complete!

Just listening to "Robbie Robertson" "Fallen Angel" on the gold pair, what an abomination through these out of box....they sound like $58 earphones!

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #1,185 of 1,921
Hm maybe I should have held on to my ckm500s longer. I wasnt going to say anything but I was a bit appalled at the amount of attention these were getting. FOTM to the extreme? To me they had mediocre sound. Not bad but not great either. Told myself I was going to swear off anymore dsnut recommendations.. lol. But maybe I should have let them burn in a whole lot more. Oh well.
Quote:

Just got my second pair of CKM500 gold....listening to these and my black pair with over 300hrs, the bass is significantly different.  The gold pair bass is boomy, muddy, loose, all over the place, no control or tightness at all.  If I had to listen to them like this, I would not be keeping them.  Mids and highs not bad, but the highs at this point are overdone compared to the black pair with 300hrs burn in.  This proves to me that burn in makes a significant difference with the CKM500, just as Dsnuts says.  I am gonna run some extreme burn in with the Dr. Chesky Binural album (bass, drums, pipe organ, some of the dynamic music tracks) on the gold pair, probably at least 200hrs, and do a comparison again, will report back when complete!

Just listening to "Robbie Robertson" "Fallen Angel" on the gold pair, what an abomination through these out of box....they sound like $58 earphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back