The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 29, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,201 of 1,921
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the tips in the second link. I have a set of the balanced bi-flange tips and i have the same kit thats in your second link but in black. I have actually been using the short medium size bi-flange tips for the last week. I dont hear any difference between the balanced and the short bi-flange tips. You should try them all before you decide that the balanced tips are the best. I just find the short bi-flange tips more comfortable since they have a shallower insertion.

Quote:
There is one pair of tips that come in multiple sizes that are the same as the first link you just posted. I see it at the very right, and i'm using the tips that are in the first link that came in my kit, and I agree with you on the sound it creates. I want to try other tips though to hear if there is a difference, for me the bass got better, I could actually hear the bass unlike the ckm500 stock tips. I guess I wasn't getting a good seal, now that I have it the bass is definately strong and tight. The Mids have improved a bit, the highs I couldn't tell except a bit more crispier maybe. THe stoundstage did get a decent improvement. 

You guys are right but out of the ten pairs, only three or four pairs work well for me and the sound is just as good or close to it with some differences.  So the rest will never get used.  I think for people who know which size works, Meelec. will sell them for cheaper cost with the sizes requested.  

They will do custom orders, they just did one for me, but unfortunately they messed it up. I called them and they are sending me the tips i want though, so they are fixing it.

When u buy a big assortment u need to assume that only a few of them will actually fit your ears, but you need to have multiple tips in front of you to be able to decide what fits and what doesn't. At least tips are cheap.

I do like the sound of the balanced tips, im trying them again right now. When i tried them before they were only comfy for about an hour or so. The shorter bi-flange tips seem to be comfortable for a couple hours. Maybe ill get used to one or the other, im going to try the balanced tips for a few days again to see if i can get used to them. Without trying them back to back on the same song i cant make out any obvious differences in sound between the balanced tips and the short bi-flanges. I dont even notice the balances tips giving any better isolation, if anything the short bi-flanges may actually give better isolation, but again, id need to use them back to back to really compare.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,205 of 1,921
Thank you very much, Dsnuts. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
The difference is. One is special the other isn't. The CK500 are ATs version of the cheapo consumer oriented earphones that never seem to sell all that well. I have a pair of CK303s while they are ok for normal use. I would skip these and go directly to a CKM300 or a CKM500 for not much more. These are ATs version of Panasonic cheapo earphones. AKA HJE120- HJE350 and such.  The type you see at airports. Cheap but good enough earphones. There is going to be a new version of these by the way the new CK505. These might be a bit more interesting. New housing design. Might have to try these out.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,207 of 1,921
Man, I got hosed on my 80's. $140.00 shipped with EMS. eBay. Next time, I'll be sure not to peruse the forum after having alcohol. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #1,209 of 1,921
Just got my pair via EMS. I gotta say, I'm not too impressed coming directly out of a three-hour listening session with my M50. I'm going to burn these in... Who knows, maybe I'll like these over my TF10s. I can definitely say I'm going to be using a bass reducer EQ.

Burning them in now. How many hours do you guys recommend?

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #1,210 of 1,921
Quote:
Just got my pair via EMS. I gotta say, I'm not too impressed coming directly out of a three-hour listening session with my M50. I'm going to burn these in... Who knows, maybe I'll like these over my TF10s. I can definitely say I'm going to be using a bass reducer EQ.

Burning them in now. How many hours do you guys recommend?

Instead of using a bass reducer EQ, put a smaller tip.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #1,213 of 1,921
i just ordered the CKM500s based on all your postive ravings!  hope they are as good as you say,
cause youve created an audio monster in my head!  i almost had bought a used CKM99
for thrice the price, so the economy of the CKM500s with energetic improved performance 
is quite a statement!!!  cant wait to try them out with my Ray Samuels Predator and Emmaline amps
im usually listening to my Audio Technica big phones, the 1000s cherry wood ones through custom
monsoon dac, ps audio headphone amp and music fidelity tube buffer, so im jazzed to try tdk iems
now!  hurry up Hong Kong mail!  drbluenew mexico
ps thanks to everyone in this threat for their interesting insights, updates and enthusiasm, its what
makes head-fi such a great site!

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,214 of 1,921
You guys that just got these. Congrats on your purchase..It is interesting that you brought up the CKM99s I was listening to them last night. While I still feel the CKM500 is an improvement over them the CKM99 is a fantastic sounding earphone. I think if you guys see a good used one or see them on liquidation which will happen for $100 they are completely worth it. But for the asking price even now it is sad that those will not get the audience they deserve as these CKM500 represent such a superior value for the cost. Oh well on ward and upward.

I heard that the new flagship the CKM1000 is not too far off from the CKM99s in sound. IT doesn't surprise me as it seems the same exact driver is being used.

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #1,215 of 1,921
For me, these are the first IEM's where I can actually hear every word of the songs clearly.....they articulate vocals very well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back