The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jun 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,141 of 1,921
so I downloaded a few tracks from that binaural album jude's been talking about lately http://www.head-fi.org/t/613278/a-sensational-fantastic-and-simply-amazing-new-binaural-album-by-chesky

I tried them with the CKM500 and OH MY GOD.

such a big, roomy sound. I had never noticed how big the soundstage really is; I had just assumed it sounded big because of the thickness of the bass.
but really, give "Pamafunk" a listen and you'll realize how good the soundstage and imaging really are.

tried them against my beloved Yamaha EPH-100, and they sounded really small and claustrophobic in comparison.

I also realized I like the treble on these more than the EPH-100.
Loving it more and more every day.

Edit:

I just want to make it clear that I in no way intended to endorse the actual recordings.. I was talking about the headphone. The tracks on that album were useful tools for testing the capabilities of the CKM500 though

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,142 of 1,921
Have the CKM500 in my ears today and I'M LOVING THEM! I have to admit that no one great sounding IEM can satisfy me. I need variety. Although I do believe I will spend much of my listening times with the Aurisonics prototype (when it comes out), the new 1964 EARS V6 (when it comes out), the W4, AF56 and a couple of JVCs.And add the CKM500 to the list.

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,143 of 1,921
Quote:
so I downloaded a few tracks from that binaural album jude's been talking about lately http://www.head-fi.org/t/613278/a-sensational-fantastic-and-simply-amazing-new-binaural-album-by-chesky

I tried them with the CKM500 and OH MY GOD.

such a big, roomy sound. I had never noticed how big the soundstage really is; I had just assumed it sounded big because of the thickness of the bass.
but really, give "Pamafunk" a listen and you'll realize how good the soundstage and imaging really are.

I have that album as well, in fact used a lot of it for burn in on my CKM500.  This binural recording has the effect that "crossfeed" does, same type of technology.  I use Audiophile settings in my jRiver Mediacenter 16 application on my computer, "crossfeed standard" will give the same effect.  You can Google "crossfeed" to find out more.....it really enhances the sound on headphones.  Some amplifiers have the "crossfeed" feature available as well!

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,144 of 1,921
Quote:
Have the CKM500 in my ears today and I'M LOVING THEM! I have to admit that no one great sounding IEM can satisfy me. I need variety. Although I do believe I will spend much of my listening times with the Aurisonics prototype (when it comes out), the new 1964 EARS V6 (when it comes out), the W4, AF56 and a couple of JVCs.And add the CKM500 to the list.

The Meelec DF tips and the Aurisonics Custom Tips should satisfy your tastes on the CKM500!
The Meelec DF tips sound a little leaner, but the Aurisonics custom tips offer rich thick sound coming out of the CKM500, bass tightens up, rich tones in the mids, sparkly highs!

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #1,146 of 1,921
Quote:
Hey Cute,

Your custom tips - are they made just for the CKM500 or are the semi generic on the outside?

Better yet can you snap shot and post please, that would be fantastic!

Wormwood

I have used them on at least six other IEM's!  You can see them at Aurisonics.com.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,147 of 1,921
do the CKM500s really sound as good with super isolating tips? It seems to me that the tips need just a bit of air to open up the sound.. I tried complys, and then the small stock tips (S, not XS). it was like a huge difference.

btw these have become my favourite IEM at the time being

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #1,148 of 1,921
do the CKM500s really sound as good with super isolating tips? It seems to me that the tips need just a bit of air to open up the sound.. I tried complys, and then the small stock tips (S, not XS). it was like a huge difference.

btw these have become my favourite IEM at the time

These are a vented design, so they are already vented on the outside. Shouldnt matter what tips you use. Different tips will give a different sound but thats not the reason why.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #1,150 of 1,921
Quote:
Question: Will UE tips work on these?

I actually have my large TF10 blue tips on my CKM500 today. nice sound and cuts down on the bass being too much (although there is still plenty of bass in the this IEM).

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #1,152 of 1,921
Quote:
I actually have my large TF10 blue tips on my CKM500 today. nice sound and cuts down on the bass being too much (although there is still plenty of bass in the this IEM).

Wow, I had the opposite happen to me.....the bass with the TF10 blue tips made these basshead IEM's for me, compared to the Meelec tips and my custom tips!  I must have wierd ears.
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #1,153 of 1,921
Quote:

Wow, I had the opposite happen to me.....the bass with the TF10 blue tips made these basshead IEM's for me, compared to the Meelec tips and my custom tips!  I must have wierd ears.
confused_face_2.gif

You are strange, my friend. You should hear EXACTLY like me! lol 
beerchug.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #1,154 of 1,921
Quote:
That's a relief. That's exactly the sound signature I was looking for. I'm really going for bass quality over quantity... How does the CKM500 compare to the TF10?

Funny, the TF10 sound bass-lite (relatively) to my ears now when comparing to the CKM500 and the ASG-1.2. I can't really give much more details than that, because I rarely listen to the TF10 now. I think I might have them made into customs though.

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,155 of 1,921
Quote:

Funny, the TF10 sound bass-lite (relatively) to my ears now when comparing to the CKM500 and the ASG-1.2. I can't really give much more details than that, because I rarely listen to the TF10 now. I think I might have them made into customs though.

Same. I wonder if that's what messed up my impressions of the fxt90...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back