The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 22, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #286 of 1,921
Well, it's here in my office (this might be the quickest service from Japan yet! Although they are much faster than ordering from China, usually). Will give them a quick listen in a few minutes. 

May 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #287 of 1,921
Well, it's here in my office (this might be the quickest service from Japan yet! Although they are much faster than ordering from China, usually). Will give them a quick listen in a few minutes. 

Mine shipped on saturday from japan, i got them monday morning. Extremely quick EMS shipping.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

May 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #288 of 1,921
Okay, this is going to be very short and sweet, because to be honest I haven't had enough time with the CKM500 to give it a good "initial first impressions" review. 

Let me say this, Of the the two or three ATH IEMs and headphones I've heard, I always found the mids to be a bit weak for my taste and somewhat recessed. Not so with these. I have to agree with Dsnuts that the CKM500 probably has the best mids I've heard in an ATH product. Now, when initially listening I was like, "where is the bass?" Then I thought that perhaps I don't have a deep enough insert, so I pushed them into the ear canal little bit more and POW! Nice bass! It's not overwhelming, but it's there and it's not light. I can only imagine what burn-in will do for these.

The vocals are really really clear. I used Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House" and Elvis Costello's "In the Darkest Place" (his collaboration album with Burt Bacharach) as reference music (oh, and a little bit of Dr. Buzzard's Savannah Band).

So, that's about it for right now. I'm not disappointed at all based on that first brief listening, but it's too early to say these sound like this, or are better than that. I can say, however, I'm more impressed with the CKM500 right out of the gate than I was with the Audiofly AF78 dual driver dynamic/BA IEM. I hope to have that full review by this weekend. So you are on point once again, Mr. Dsnuts...LOL. Kudos!

May 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #289 of 1,921
Quote:
Okay, this is going to be very short and sweet, because to be honest I haven't had enough time with the CKM500 to give it a good "initial first impressions" review. 

Let me say this, Of the the two or three ATH IEMs and headphones I've heard, I always found the mids to be a bit weak for my taste and somewhat recessed. Not so with these. I have to agree with Dsnuts that the CKM500 probably has the best mids I've heard in an ATH product. Now, when initially listening I was like, "where is the bass?" Then I thought that perhaps I don't have a deep enough insert, so I pushed them into the ear canal little bit more and POW! Nice bass! It's not overwhelming, but it's there and it's not light. I can only imagine what burn-in will do for these.

The vocals are really really clear. I used Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House" and Elvis Costello's "In the Darkest Place" (his collaboration album with Burt Bacharach) as reference music (oh, and a little bit of Dr. Buzzard's Savannah Band).

So, that's about it for right now. I'm not disappointed at all based on that first brief listening, but it's too early to say these sound like this, or are better than that. I can say, however, I'm more impressed with the CKM500 right out of the gate than I was with the Audiofly AF78 dual driver dynamic/BA IEM. I hope to have that full review by this weekend. So you are on point once again, Mr. Dsnuts...LOL. Kudos!

Getting the early thumbs up from you my friend is all I need to hear.. You are gonna love how these sound the more you use them. The MIDs eric are just unreal on here. Not to mention the lovely refined highs with crazy depth.. I am sure these will grow on you. Great first take my friend..You enjoy ATs newest and now you can understand why these got the thread from me. Happy listening my friend.
ksc75smile.gif

May 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #291 of 1,921
May 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #293 of 1,921
Quote:
That is a fantastic deal if it is legit. That is how much the Japanese shell out for these earphones believe it or not.

Might be worth a try.

What I thought, hence my question...I'm sick and tired of 'rip off Britain' prices, so always take time to search, but I've had zero dealings with this outfit, so was hoping someone on here may of...(he says with much hope...).

May 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #294 of 1,921
Aha . My theory was right. So why are these new Japanese earphones so cheap? Because they want you to collect them. Pokemon like!

audio-technica/Inner Ear Headphone/ATH-CKM500 BL Blue

Accessory
Unnecessary vibration has been reduced. Rich sound is created by the new shaped brass ground ring st...

Collectible | Released 2012/04/13 | 4743Yen(59.00 USD)

audio-technica/Inner Ear Headphone/ATH-CKM500 GD Gold

Accessory
Unnecessary vibration has been reduced. Rich sound is created by the new shaped brass ground ring st...

audio-technica/Inner Ear Headphone/ATH-CKM500 RD Red

Accessory

audio-technica/Inner Ear Headphone/ATH-CKM500 SV Silver

Accessory

audio-technica/Inner Ear Headphone/ATH-CKM500 WH White

Accessory

audio-technica/Inner Ear Headphone/ATH-CKM500 BK Black

Accessory

Your Recent Searches

Notice it says. COLLECTABLE.. Lol!!

May 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #295 of 1,921
Quote:

The bass on the CKM500 is fuller because it blooms (you noticed a boost too?) in certain regions and doesn't have the sub-bass the GR07 has. Maybe for me unobtrusive bass exists more in sub-bass and I could do with a flatter bass region so it isn't as noticeable. In some musical genres (Classical!) it really collides and doesn't work very well. Just listen to a solo cello or how a timpani gets lost in orchestral works. CKM500 excel awesomely with jazz and acoustic music! The deeper/wider/spacious soundstage, upfront mids, and treble extension of the CKM500 are some pros which separate it from the GR07.

Tonally it nearly has the same clarity except presents it with an edgy sound. The "sound" isn't quite the same, perhaps it comes down to a housing difference; there's another level of refinement the GR07 is able to present without distortion. I think the GR07 is even a bit warmer - the CKM500 sure is neutral!

Looks like the price is steadily increasing via the eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ckm500&_sacat=0&_odkw=ckm500&LH_ItemCondition=3&_osacat=0&_from=R40

The seller we've all been buying from, ace_of_bicycle2004, is now starting at $84

Btw, to reiterate, these headphones are not suited for Classical, you will be sorely disappointed. Best genres: acoustic, jazz quintet/quartets (no funk or electro...I prefer the more well balanced smooth sound of the GR07 since albums like Bitches Brew or Pangaea/Agharta can be fatiguing with how mid-centric/edgy the CKM500 are), pop and hip-hop

May 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #296 of 1,921
Quote:
What I thought, hence my question...I'm sick and tired of 'rip off Britain' prices, so always take time to search, but I've had zero dealings with this outfit, so was hoping someone on here may of...(he says with much hope...).

Well the thing is. I am 100% sure there is no fakes for these. Now it will be a matter of shipping more than anything but honestly I think it is worth taking a chance. I would google that company and see what buyers are saying about them first but if there is nothing negative. I would try it out. The risk is about the same as getting one from ebay really if you think about it. I know you are taking a chance but if that works out. It would all have been worth it. That site is from Japan and I would trust stuff coming out of Japan more than lets say China. There is no way a Japanese company that advertises those will have fake ones they will throw in it's place.

May 22, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #298 of 1,921
Thanks....they are even cheaper on Amazon JP...$56...but I think their shipping costs will be a lot more for good ol' blighty...so I may take a punt with CDJapan...and as you say...they are to new for fakes, now I've seen this price on Amazon Japan, we know the price is a credible one...So I'm going in chaps. 
ph34r.gif

May 22, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #299 of 1,921
Why would they be bad for classical? They dont seem edgy to me.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

May 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #300 of 1,921
Quote:
Thanks....they are even cheaper on Amazon JP...$56...but I think their shipping costs will be a lot more for good ol' blighty...so I may take a punt with CDJapan...and as you say...they are to new for fakes, now I've seen this price on Amazon Japan, we know the price is a credible one...So I'm going in chaps. 
ph34r.gif

That's the spirit..Keep us updated on how that will go for you. You might have just paved the way for our EU friends to try these out. Actually at that price that might be a good way for everyone to get them. I suppose it will all depend on shipping...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back