The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #256 of 1,921
Quote:
Hi, could anyone comment on these earphones compared to the JVC FXT90?

How is the comfort and fit of these?

I'm just kidding but I regret coming into this thread.
I got the fischer audio silver bullets last year in June, I got the UE TF10s during the Amazon black friday sale, and then I got the Yamaha EPH100s in December.
All 3 of them are working perfectly and yet here I am looking to get a 4th pair of earphones in a year!

That's pretty good. I go though 4 earphones in a week sometimes. Lol!. Ericp10 has the FXT90s and he will get his CKM500 soon so keep tabs on the thread I am curious to know how these stack up to them as well.

May 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #257 of 1,921
What turned me away from the FXT90s was reading that it had a "weird fit"?

The TF10s are great but it's difficult to get a good seal. I do manage after some fiddling around but I get really annoyed when someone speaks to me while I'm listening to them and I have to go through the hassle of getting a good fit all over again.

So comfort and fit are first on my priority list :D

May 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #258 of 1,921
Even though these have a bigger than normal 12.5mm driver. The housing is actually smaller diameter wise than most dish driver housing. Not only that but they made it so everything on the housing is smooth and curved so when you put these in your ears these are very comfy. I have normal sized ears and these fit perfectly and is actually more comfortable than their older CKM50 which had the same sized drivers. The diameter is much smaller than the size of your average ear bud actually.. Unless your ears are abnormally small I wouldn't worry about fit for these.

May 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #259 of 1,921
Just got home and my CKM500i's are here. So far all i can say is that i hope that the sound changes quite a bit with break in. They sound bass heavy and muffled to me and ive never used the term muffled before. So far im not impressed at all..... Hopefully they loosen up quickly. They basically sound the same as my SA6's and my dual driver Brookstones, except not as clear as either. They look legit and everything, maybe my hopes were just set to high?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

May 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #260 of 1,921
Quote:
Just got home and my CKM500i's are here. So far all i can say is that i hope that the sound changes quite a bit with break in. They sound bass heavy and muffled to me and ive never used the term muffled before. So far im not impressed at all..... Hopefully they loosen up quickly. They basically sound the same as my SA6's and my dual driver Brookstones, except not as clear as either. They look legit and everything, maybe my hopes were just set to high?

That sounds strange to me. Muffled has nothing to do with how these sound. Not even close..These are as clear as day on first listen. OR they should be. Hmm. I am sure they will clear up for you. There is no way all these guys that just got them are gonna love these as much as I do if they come even remotely muffled.

My pair on first listen was pristine sounding on first listen with plenty of sparkle and a crazy high end sound. Oh wait. are you using them on your phone? I wonder if the controls are messing up the sound for you. That kinda sounds like an issue I had with my Isurus at one point. Came out sounding like I was under water because the Mic.. Try those earphones on something else. 

May 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #261 of 1,921
Quote:

Is a CKM500i different than the standard CKM500? 

May 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #263 of 1,921
I mean the highs are there... The mids and bass just sound congested and not all that clear. To me the word neutral does not come to mind at all. They definitely sound bass heavy and they need to clear up quite a bit. Vocals also seem a but distant. Ive sampled quite a few different songs, mostly progressive rock like porcupine tree, andromeda, and opeth, i even threw a little dubstep in there.

They are super comfy though. Im definitely going to give them a fair chance. I know people in the CKS77 thread were saying that the CKS's were changing quite a bit with break in, maybe these will change a but for me too. I also think some of my issue is with the huge sound stage. They definitely sound wide and deep, maybe that will take some getting used to.

Also, there are some songs that sound pretty magical on these and some that just sound kind of messy. Blackwater Park by Opeth sounded pretty damn nice.

May 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #264 of 1,921
Quote:
I mean the highs are there... The mids and bass just sound congested and not all that clear. To me the word neutral does not come to mind at all. They definitely sound bass heavy and they need to clear up quite a bit. Vocals also seem a but distant. Ive sampled quite a few different songs, mostly progressive rock like porcupine tree, andromeda, and opeth, i even threw a little dubstep in there.
They are super comfy though.

Don't know what to tell you Jason. Your the first to say such things. I have so many earphones on me and these have nothing to do with what your saying at all..These have nothing to do with muddy at all on my pair. Believe me I would not suggest such an earphone.

May 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #265 of 1,921
Oh i believe you.... I will let them break in and see what happens. Il keep listening and keep giving feedback.

Maybe my allergies are messing my hearing up a bit too. Im not giving up yet.

May 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #266 of 1,921
They seem to be slowly clearing up..... They are also very sensitive and seem to sound better at low volume.

May 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #267 of 1,921
My CKM500 will be in the office waiting for me tomorrow. So I can't wait! I better take some nice tips with me (I rarely like the house tips).

May 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #268 of 1,921
Ive changed my mind already. Been listening for about an hour and a half now and they seem to sound much better already. Not sure if they were jet lagged from the flight from Japan or if i was just playing them to loudly and feeling overloaded with detail. I am listening to them at a way lower volume setting on my iPhone and they sound great. Sorry for my initial bad judgement, i spoke just a little to soon. Ive been sampling some old Metallica like Master of Puppets and the black album and it sound magical. It sounds very spacious, very detailed, and very very extended on the top end. Ive never heard top end like this on any headphone. Ive heard speakers sound this extended and detailed up top but never have i heard this from in ear headphones. I can now hear the slightly fun neutral sound youve all been hearing, and i expect the sound will still clear up even further with time.

May 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #269 of 1,921
Lol. I was gonna say . There is just no way these sound muddy..If anything these have some of the cleanest sound I have ever heard in a earphone.. Glad they are starting to sound right for you Jason. Oh yea agreed Metallica sounds awesome on these.. You will hear just how versatile these are for all types of music..Look forward to see what you have to say after some solid use/ burn time. They get better and better.

@ericp10. You know I have to say the tips on these are ATs version of the hybrid standard silicone design. These are so comfy with stock tips. Don't know if other tips are needed but let us know how they sound for you. I am excited to hear your take on a proper new AT earphone..

May 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #270 of 1,921
Sorry dsnuts. I definitely wasnt trying to make you out to be a liar or anything. Hope you didnt take it that way. They definitely sounded congested at first, but i think it was just a combination of them needing to loosen up a tad and me trying to play them at the same volume setting that i play all my other less sensitive iems at. They definitely are more sensitive than anything else ive ever plugged into my iPhone 4. Id usually play my brookstones and my SA6's at about 2/3 of max and these only need to be played at about 1/2 of max. They are definitely a very sensitive iem.

They are definitely sounding very clear now. They are definitely a tad more fun than neutral but still neutral enough. They sound very Etymotic-like but with more bass and way better soundstage. Just what i was looking for.

Also build quality and comfort are very nice. They have a nice thick cable, and have a very slim right angle plug. Ive been looking for a headphone with a small plug like this cause ive always been worried about my headphone jack. Itll be nice not to have to worry about putting stress on my iPhone's headphone jack. As for comfort, ive been wearing them for about 2-21/2 hours now and i dont even feel them in my ears. The housing is sort of big but not big enough to hurt or cause any discomfort. The stock tips that came on them are the perfect size for me and also seem comfortable enough.

One more thing, i got the "i" version to go with my iPhone and also because i didnt like the idea of a short cord plus an extension. The "i" version is just a standard 1.2M length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back