The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #226 of 1,921
DSNUTs  how is the CKM500 compared to the GR07? Or did I miss that post my friend?

May 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #227 of 1,921
I hope mine ship soon. Im listening to my dual driver Brookstones (ddm2), and i like them, but im excited to hear these AT's. This will be my first purchase of anything from AT.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #228 of 1,921
Quote:
DSNUTs  how is the CKM500 compared to the GR07? Or did I miss that post my friend?

A/Bing the GR07 and the CKM500. .The very first difference is the staging and depth of music. Overall sound on the CKM500 is wider and deeper..The GR07 does have a flatter sound vs the CKM500 especially the mids.. The biggest difference is the 2 are the mids. The mids on the CKM500 is fuller, richer sounding and has more depth. The mids on the GR07 is flat sounding vs the CKM500s and while accurate and almost a dry sound vs the CKM500.  I would say clarity is about equal. The bass end is more fuller as well on the CKM500 but these are by no means a bass heavy earphone..

If the sound of the GR07 represent the neutral 50 the CKM500  are a 60 for all of the sound.. But the funny thing is I find the highs to be about equal. The Gr07 leaning a bit sharper especially with the spike it has vs a more rounded and deeper sounding highs on the CKM500.  So the highs are clean minus a tiny spike in the upper mid lower high registers on the GR07. The GR07 almost have a r type sound compared to a more even balanced lusher sound on the CKM500. So with that lovely detailed extended clean highs you get the full lush mids to go with it with a slight boost in the bass area.  With the GR07 there is more emphasis on the detailed end of the treble and not as much fullness in the mids and bass end. the GR07 represents more of an accurate sound as it is a monitor after all, the CKM500 represent what happens when you tweek that monitor type sound with a touch of more musicality while maintaining that same level of detail and proficiency.

These sound like a more musical version of the GR07 or even a EX600 for that matter but not so far off where it starts to sound like a Monster earphone not even close. Again the CKM500 while not completely neutral. To me they are neutral enough to sound right for all types of music.  I don't know if the CKM500 would be a clear upgrade in sound over the GR07 but hows about a wider stage a touch deeper cleaner highs, more fuller richer mids ,more depth sounding with no spikes and a notch fuller bass end to boot over them..

May 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #229 of 1,921
Quote:

A/Bing the GR07 and the CKM500. .The very first difference is the staging and depth of music. Overall sound on the CKM500 is wider and deeper..The GR07 does have a flatter sound vs the CKM500 especially the mids.. The biggest difference is the 2 are the mids. The mids on the CKM500 is fuller, richer sounding and has more depth. The mids on the GR07 is flat sounding vs the CKM500s and while accurate and almost a dry sound vs the CKM500.  I would say clarity is about equal. The bass end is more fuller as well on the CKM500 but these are by no means a bass heavy earphone..

If the sound of the GR07 represent the neutral 50 the CKM500  are a 60 for all of the sound.. But the funny thing is I find the highs to be about equal. The Gr07 leaning a bit sharper especially with the spike it has vs a more rounded and deeper sounding highs on the CKM500.  So the highs are clean minus a tiny spike in the upper mid lower high registers on the GR07. The GR07 almost have a r type sound compared to a more even balanced lusher sound on the CKM500. So with that lovely detailed extended clean highs you get the full lush mids to go with it with a slight boost in the bass area.  With the GR07 there is more emphasis on the detailed end of the treble and not as much fullness in the mids and bass end. the GR07 represents more of an accurate sound as it is a monitor after all, the CKM500 represent what happens when you tweek that monitor type sound with a touch of more musicality while maintaining that same level of detail and proficiency.

These sound like a more musical version of the GR07 or even a EX600 for that matter but not so far off where it starts to sound like a Monster earphone not even close. Again the CKM500 while not completely neutral. To me they are neutral enough to sound right for all types of music.  I don't know if the CKM500 would be a clear upgrade in sound over the GR07 but hows about a wider stage a touch deeper cleaner highs, more fuller richer mids ,more depth sounding with no spikes and a notch fuller bass end to boot over them..

Thank you Dsnuts. I've been in meetings all day and I am just seeing this response now, but I ordered the CKM500 late last night before I read this. Now I'm glad I did. I've trust your judgment on bang-for-the-buck IEMs, and this seems to be one for the price. On the flip side, the AF78 is opening up nicely (dual DD/BA earphone from Audiofly). I will be working on a full review starting this weekend.

Also, When they come out next month, try the Audiofly AF45. It's like a 11 mm dynamic for about $60 MSRP. The bass and mids are mind-blowing for the price range - with very nice highs too. Very nice deep bass, but not too deep, but the clarity is very good for a dynamic driver in that price category. Thanks again. Happy listening! 
beerchug.gif

May 17, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #230 of 1,921
Oh wow. You trying another one of my suggestions. Nice. Will do in deed. I am excited for all the new stuff coming out. It seems many manufacturers are stepping up their game. I look forward to your review on the AF78. Will try out an Audiofly AF45. So many nice earphones coming out at of late. But I am confident these for the price are worthy of headfi and our members.

These CKM500s represent a new direction for AT and I am glad this is one company that learns from mistakes in the past and keeps on reaching for better sound. It is clearly evident with these earphones. I look forward to your take on these eric..You will understand what I mean by a more exciting version of the neutral sound..These immediately impressed me on first listen and have been my go to earphones ever since..Oh and you gotta love the color selection. Now that I look at the previous pics of the colors. I think I like the looks of the silvers the best. Those golds are interesting too. Lol!. What color you end up getting. ?

May 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #231 of 1,921
Quote:
Oh wow. You trying another one of my suggestions. Nice. Will do in deed. I am excited for all the new stuff coming out. It seems many manufacturers are stepping up their game. I look forward to your review on the AF78. Will try out an Audiofly AF45. So many nice earphones coming out at of late. But I am confident these for the price are worthy of headfi and our members.

These CKM500s represent a new direction for AT and I am glad this is one company that learns from mistakes in the past and keeps on reaching for better sound. It is clearly evident with these earphones. I look forward to your take on these eric..You will understand what I mean by a more exciting version of the neutral sound..These immediately impressed me on first listen and have been my go to earphones ever since..Oh and you gotta love the color selection. Now that I look at the previous pics of the colors. I think I like the looks of the silvers the best. Those golds are interesting too. Lol!. What color you end up getting. ?

Too many great earphones coming to quickly!
Thanks for the ABing from above. Makes me want to pull the trigger on these just to compare them with my own ears. From owning some higher end earphones, I have to admit, from the hobbyist point of view, the excitement in this field is coming from the below $100 price range. It's really amazing the sound that a few years ago one would have to spend twice as much to get.

May 17, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #232 of 1,921
Quote:

Too many great earphones coming to quickly!
Thanks for the ABing from above. Makes me want to pull the trigger on these just to compare them with my own ears. From owning some higher end earphones, I have to admit, from the hobbyist point of view, the excitement in this field is coming from the below $100 price range. It's really amazing the sound that a few years ago one would have to spend twice as much to get.

Your right. The money for sound these CKM500 represent is exactly this. A year ago this sound cannot be had for this price at all. Considering these have a better overall sound than the previous CKM99 which was and still is $180 earphone.

May 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #233 of 1,921
Quote:
. What color you end up getting. ?

Silver... And thanks again for your words. I have to get this up soon. And I owe a review on a couple of ThinkSound products. Writing for a couple of jazz publications have taken me away a bit from writing on the technology needed to make this music sound its best. I have resigned myself that I'm never going to be an owner of just one or two IEMs. I like (and in some cases love) a variety of sound signatures. I'm even beginning to appreciate some aspects of the Sony XBA-4 (although admittedly it has taken me quite a bit of time to warm up to its sound signature). And I thought I would hate the W4 (with all of the talk of how neutral it is), but it has become one of my favorite universals - if not my favorite tied with the ASG-1.  Oh well, I'm ready for a custom dynamic and to see what is new with 1964 EARS. I want a couple of more customs and the Vsonic hybrid, then hopefully I can stop (yeah right)...

May 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #234 of 1,921
Thankfully my cheaper stuff has kept me on my feet so far as spending too much. Though I like trying out a lot of different ones with different sound signatures myself..I am not quite ready for customs but I can see how the sound journey all leads to something that is the ultimate sound for all of us.

In the mean while enjoy something that will surprise you. I am very confident these are not going to disappoint. They sound too good and have no weakness in any part of the sound not to like. If anything they will certainly will grow on you as they have for me..As great as the highs are on these earphones. I think the mids is what separates these from all the previous CKM earphones. It is something new from AT. They are masters of sound but always had the old V shape sound signature.. Not on these. I will most certainly get the CKM700 when that releases this year. Looking forward to see how those will improve upon these CKM500s.

May 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #235 of 1,921
Took the plunge, bought the gold ckm500's. As I really enjoy both the CKM99's and the CKS77's, as they are on rotation for listening with different musical spins, I will be eagerly looking forward to these.

May 17, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #236 of 1,921
Yea i cant wait for mine to arrive. I chose the ems shipping so hopefully ill see them next week sometime.

May 17, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #237 of 1,921
Enjoy your newest..Oh and I know you all will burn these in but most AT earphones don't need too much burn in to fully enjoy including these. I would give them a good 50 but enjoy how these just sound right on everything. Look forward to all you guy's take on some new AT stuff. Happy listening fellas.

May 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #238 of 1,921
I dont break headphones in.... I just listen to them. I wont be leaving them going when they are not in my ears. The only headphones ive ever left going when i wasnt listening was the Klipsch S4's... I was told they would smooth out in time, so i tried breaking them in to make sure i liked them before the return period was over. In the end i still returned them.

Im really interested to hear something supposedly more neutral. At least i hope they are more neutral than the SA6's and the dual driver Brookstones. Ive tried the Etymotic hf3's and they lacked bass and werent comfortable. Hopefully they are just as good in the mid range and top end but have just a tad more bass and are more comfortable.

May 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #239 of 1,921
Ya I am sure AT preburns these earphones as a part of their manufacturing process so even on open box these should have a very similar sound to my 200 plus hours burned/used pair. My pair should be a bit smoother sounding but besides that these should show you shorty after un boxing them close to their full sound. Like I mentioned they impressed me almost immediately when I tried them for the first time. 

May 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #240 of 1,921
Quote:

The bass on the CKM500 is fuller because it blooms (you noticed a boost too?) in certain regions and doesn't have the sub-bass the GR07 has. Maybe for me unobtrusive bass exists more in sub-bass and I could do with a flatter bass region so it isn't as noticeable. In some musical genres (Classical!) it really collides and doesn't work very well. Just listen to a solo cello or how a timpani gets lost in orchestral works. CKM500 excel awesomely with jazz and acoustic music! The deeper/wider/spacious soundstage, upfront mids, and treble extension of the CKM500 are some pros which separate it from the GR07.

Tonally it nearly has the same clarity except presents it with an edgy sound. The "sound" isn't quite the same, perhaps it comes down to a housing difference; there's another level of refinement the GR07 is able to present without distortion. I think the GR07 is even a bit warmer - the CKM500 sure is neutral!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back