The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 21, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #271 of 1,921
Hey Dsnuts, 

I'm having difficulty deciding between these and the ATH CKS77. To give you an idea, I listen to a wide variety of music but if I were to narrow it down
I'd say I listen to Rap/Hip-hop (Ranging from beat oriented stuff like Kanye West to more vocal/instrumental like Frank Ocean), Alternative Rock (Two Door Cinema Club & the like),
Electro (Avicii & the like), as well as some Orchestral Scores. Out of all of those though, Rap/Hip-hop takes up a larger chunk of my music collection. I already own the
ATH WS55 but want something more portable hence one of these in-ears. In terms of the sound, I think the WS55's are pretty good, but I find that a lot of songs sound quiet
and I have to turn up the volume (is this what people refer to as a muffled sound?) as a result the headphones leak noise and I can hear them pretty clearly if someone else wears them.

So between the CKM500 and CKS77 which one do you think would suit me the best and doesn't leak as much sound as I want to use them in public transit and such? I was originally
going to get the CKS77 as I do like bass, but after reading some impressions of the CKM500 it seems like a good choice too. Argh, so hard to choose...

May 21, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #272 of 1,921
Go for the CKS77. For what you listen to and wanting a very efficient earphone the CKS77 is exactly what your looking for. These are worth owning too but you need bass emphasis. The CKS77 sound like a full on 2.1 sound presentation in your ears with one of the most full and engaging sounds for any earphone to date.. Without a doubt get them. These CKM500 sound good for bassy music but I would be telling you a lie if I said the CKM500 are better for bassy music than the CKS77.

Now I don't know if you have been reading that thread but there is a dealer on ebay which offers a factory rejected CKS77 for $52. I ended up with a bad pair but am now going to get a replacement. For the most part the dealer is pleasant to deal with and will resolve any issues that come up but to be completely honest. I would spend the money and go for a new boxed version. Completely worth the $100 spent on them and there will be no mystery if you are getting a good pair or not.

May 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #273 of 1,921
In my opinion the CKM500's have plenty of bass to satisfy most people, they in no way lack any bass. Unless you are a bass head id get the CKM500.

There still seems to be plenty of bass for electronic music like chillout, ambient, dubstep, glitch, trance and all the rest. There is bass and its really good bass. Punchy and still extends deep too.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

May 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #274 of 1,921
Is there much difference between the sound isolation/leakage between the two, I know you mentioned that these have air vents so does that result in more sound leaking out? And are both of them well suited to use in a train/subway once the music is playing? I'm not looking for a noise cancelling headphone, just good enough that I can comfortably hear my music without having people beside me hearing it as well lol.

May 21, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #275 of 1,921
Quote:
Is there much difference between the sound isolation/leakage between the two, I know you mentioned that these have air vents so does that result in more sound leaking out? And are both of them well suited to use in a train/subway once the music is playing? I'm not looking for a noise cancelling headphone, just good enough that I can comfortably hear my music without having people beside me hearing it as well lol.

The CKS77 will not leak any sound. You will blow out your eardrums with bass before that happens. Lol!

The CKS77 isolates better than the CKM500. The CKM500 has the air vents.. The CKS77 does not. Once you got your music going on. It will be you and your music. 

May 21, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #279 of 1,921
my ckm500 has reached the customs, hopefully I'll get them either tomorrow or Wed. I'm extremely excited, haven't been this excited about headphones since getting my HD800 haha.

May 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #280 of 1,921
Quote:
I would go for the CKM500 for your variety of music. It's much better than the CKS77 and are in no way bass shy.

Sure you guys would consider these CKM500s to be superior in sound quality over anything bass heavy. For someone that listens to bassy music. Hiphop et al. I will guarontee he would prefer the CKS77 over these. Plus he wanted something that doesnt leak out too much sound. The CKM500 will leak more sound than the CKS77.

I know you didn't like the CKS77 much Sweden but I am willing to bet, you don't listen to Hip hop much either. There are guys on the CKS77 thread that would consider these CKM500s as a downgrade. Coolfool79 owns the headphone version of these CKS77s and myself being a fan of all music. I can tell you for hiphop fans. It don't get any better than the CKS77.

Hiphop on the CKM500 is excellent sure but not quite like the hard hitting sub woofer like presentation on the CKS77. Plus the full sound on them will do very well with the rest of what he listens to.. People like their bass with bassy music. Like treble guys love their treble for classical and jazz.

May 22, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #281 of 1,921
Well I am excited for all you guys just getting these or have just gotten them.. I am very confident in the sound these represent and just how much work AT did to ensure some of the best sound for the price. Now that I think about it these earphones a year ago could have easily sold for double and we would have raved about their sound. Happy listening everyone and I look forward to everyones take on what represents one of the best bang for buck earphones out there for the sound quality alone.

May 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #282 of 1,921
Quote:
Well I am excited for all you guys just getting these or have just gotten them.. I am very confident in the sound these represent and just how much work AT did to ensure some of the best sound for the price. Now that I think about it these earphones a year ago could have easily sold for double and we would have raved about their sound. Happy listening everyone and I look forward to everyones take on what represents one of the best bang for buck earphones out there for the sound quality alone.

So far my winners are the original Xcape at the $50 mark and the B2 at $100.  I think I'll give the ckm500 a shot until I can hear a IE800.  Anywhere with a better deal than the seller on Ebay?

May 22, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #283 of 1,921
That $72 plus shipping deal seems to be the only deal.. I have no idea why AT hasn't relesed these awesome earphones world wide. I have no idea what AT is doing to be honest. I think they are testing these out in Asia to see if people will bite on them first..I had a friend buy one from Japan and send it to me but that ended up costing about the same as this ebay deal so I would just go that rout.

May 22, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #284 of 1,921
Quote:

Sure you guys would consider these CKM500s to be superior in sound quality over anything bass heavy. For someone that listens to bassy music. Hiphop et al. I will guarontee he would prefer the CKS77 over these. Plus he wanted something that doesnt leak out too much sound. The CKM500 will leak more sound than the CKS77.

I know you didn't like the CKS77 much Sweden but I am willing to bet, you don't listen to Hip hop much either. There are guys on the CKS77 thread that would consider these CKM500s as a downgrade. Coolfool79 owns the headphone version of these CKS77s and myself being a fan of all music. I can tell you for hiphop fans. It don't get any better than the CKS77.

Hiphop on the CKM500 is excellent sure but not quite like the hard hitting sub woofer like presentation on the CKS77. Plus the full sound on them will do very well with the rest of what he listens to.. People like their bass with bassy music. Like treble guys love their treble for classical and jazz.

You are wrong here. I actually found the CKS77 to be an excelent in-ear for hip hop and house, but I find the CKM500 to be better with rock and classical and a much better all-rounder.

May 22, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #285 of 1,921
Quote:
 You are wrong here. I actually found the CKS77 to be an excelent in-ear for hip hop and house, but I find the CKM500 to be better with rock and classical and a much better all-rounder.

I completely agree with you.  He listens to mostly hiphop. with the occasional alternative rock and some orchestral.. I think if he listen to mostly rock and classical then we are talking CKM500 but he mostly listens to hiphop. So in this case I would say CKS77.

while the CKM500 is more versatile and definitely has the better sound quality..The CKS77 actually is also very versatile and can do rock and orchestral just fine. Some might actually enjoy that presentation more so. .But again I think the CKS77 matches his needs better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back