The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #301 of 1,921
Quote:

Looks like the price is steadily increasing via the eBay link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ckm500&_sacat=0&_odkw=ckm500&LH_ItemCondition=3&_osacat=0&_from=R40

The seller we've all been buying from, ace_of_bicycle2004, is now starting at $84

Btw, to reiterate, these headphones are not suited for Classical, you will be sorely disappointed. Best genres: acoustic, jazz quintet/quartets (no funk or electro...I prefer the more well balanced smooth sound of the GR07 since albums like Bitches Brew or Pangaea/Agharta can be fatiguing with how mid-centric/edgy the CKM500 are), pop and hip-hop

I paid more than that with shipping last week, total was $86. Bought the Gold's. 

May 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #302 of 1,921
Total price including shipping via EMS (3-7 days) is $77 to the UK, so should be a little cheaper for the US (a few dollars less...I suspect). So, I've placed an order....I'll let you know how quickly, etc...

May 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #303 of 1,921
Quote:
Okay, this is going to be very short and sweet, because to be honest I haven't had enough time with the CKM500 to give it a good "initial first impressions" review. 

Let me say this, Of the the two or three ATH IEMs and headphones I've heard, I always found the mids to be a bit weak for my taste and somewhat recessed. Not so with these. I have to agree with Dsnuts that the CKM500 probably has the best mids I've heard in an ATH product.

Agree with the sentiment about the AT mids. No AT product I've had or heard has ever had a real seductive midrange. Dry, clean, and detailed maybe but none that have held me. I no longer own the CKS77LTD cause the mids were quite inferior to HPM-78 and ASG-1 which also do great bass but throw in some sweet mids as well. Toss in my Cresyn phones that also have great midrange performance and the AT was a bit uninspired and lacking emotion compared to all of them. The GR07 was also even though more refined than the CKS77 in the midrange. Good to hear some reports of that changing at least in the latest CKM.

May 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #304 of 1,921
Quote:

Agree with the sentiment about the AT mids. No AT product I've had or heard has ever had a real seductive midrange. Dry, clean, and detailed maybe but none that have held me. I no longer own the CKS77LTD cause the mids were quite inferior to HPM-78 and ASG-1 which also do great bass but throw in some sweet mids as well. Toss in my Cresyn phones that also have great midrange performance and the AT was a bit uninspired and lacking emotion compared to all of them. The GR07 was also even though more refined than the CKS77 in the midrange. Good to hear some reports of that changing at least in the latest CKM.

I agree, jant71...

Thanks Dsnuts again for the recommendation!! 
beerchug.gif

May 22, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #306 of 1,921
Quote:
I agree, jant71...

Thanks Dsnuts again for the recommendation!! 
beerchug.gif

Oh yea so far it is 100% satisfaction. Thats a new record for me on anything. Lol!. But these are easy to like..Notice these actually have no glaring flaws in the sound? That seems to be more difficult than easy for headphone manufacturers. I only recommend the best for my friends at headfi..I had a feeling these would be more to your liking. Look forward to your take on them.
Quote:
Damn, that's your fault again Dave. First is HTF600S, now is this. I have placed order in CDJapan for one in blue and now waiting to get them.

Hey good to see you again.. Let us know how they turned out for you. I think you are the first from the states that ordered from them. Your gonna love these.. Yes it is my fault. Lol.

May 22, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #308 of 1,921
Quote:
Hey good to see you again.. Let us know how they turned out for you. I think you are the first from the states that ordered from them. Your gonna love these.. Yes it is my fault. Lol.

Actually, I'm not from the states, I'm from Germany.
I hope it will turn out a gem like HTF 600. I dont want to buy one more headphones, but since HTF600S requires some power, I think this will be good. I will keep updating.

May 22, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #309 of 1,921
Quote:
What other tips have you guys been using? The stock tips are too bulky and stiff on the CKM500.

Sony Hybrids work and are much softer. And I guarantee Eric will have a few suggestions. Lol! He is good like that. Give him some time and I am sure we will get some tips suggestions from him. 

Just tried the Monster Gel tips too. Works perfect. Tried my Complys I had from my TF10s. While it is the ultimate in comfort. Because of the wax guard it masks some of the highs. But then I just tried some complys without wax guard. Perfect. In fact. This is interesting. It almost gives more of an airy sound.. I am surprised.
Quote:
Actually, I'm not from the states, I'm from Germany.
I hope it will turn out a gem like HTF 600. I dont want to buy one more headphones, but since HTF600S requires some power, I think this will be good. I will keep updating.

Why did I think you were in the US. Happy listening and let us know what you think when you get them.

May 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #310 of 1,921
Quote:
Total price including shipping via EMS (3-7 days) is $77 to the UK, so should be a little cheaper for the US (a few dollars less...I suspect). So, I've placed an order....I'll let you know how quickly, etc...

Just took the plunge as well.  Lets see if that's not $73 lost to the Ether.

May 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #311 of 1,921
Thanks for the recommendation Dsnuts.  This is the only CKM model that has interested me and price seems right.  Just ordered the mic model for $91.99 with shipping from ace of bicycle.  Looking forward to hearing them.  Last earphone from AT I've heard was CK10 and I truly loved them.  I realize this is whole different SQ all together but one I'm definitely interested in.  

May 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #312 of 1,921
Quote:

A fellow Plunger...for want of a term...I did some searches on CDjapan and there are a number of reviews, as per usual from great to bad, so no different from any other company, but they seem real which is the main thing. Let's see who gets them 1st...most likely you...everything I get from the far east, seems to go at a pace where Marco Polo would of beat them!

May 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #313 of 1,921
Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation Dsnuts.  This is the only CKM model that has interested me and price seems right.  Just ordered the mic model for $91.99 with shipping from ace of bicycle.  Looking forward to hearing them.  Last earphone from AT I've heard was CK10 and I truly loved them.  I realize this is whole different SQ all together but one I'm definitely interested in.  

I see. You guys wait till eric gives the thumbs up to order. I see how it is. Don't trust the nuts? Gotta see if the man approves?..

Joking fellas. These are awesome and I now completely know why they sell these for less than $100. They want us to collect them different colors. Look forward to everyone's take on these..

May 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #314 of 1,921
Quote:

I see. You guys wait till eric gives the thumbs up to order. I see how it is. Don't trust the nuts? Gotta see if the man approves?..

Joking fellas. These are awesome and I now completely know why they sell these for less than $100. They want us to collect them different colors. Look forward to everyone's take on these..

They would have taken the plunge quicker if I stated I hated them. Trust, my word is not valued here...LOL... (well most of the time)...
smile_phones.gif

May 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #315 of 1,921
LOL....I must admit chaps...I'd decided to go ahead and get these about a week ago....so nuts your words are not wasted in vain and eric your input is very welcomed...it's just that I'm as tight as a nun's chuff when it comes to spending m' money...also with so much tripe and gloom on the TV these days...it's far more enjoyable reading reviews, searching products, etc..or have we turned into sad old f*rts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back