The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #331 of 1,921
Horns are ridiculous coming out of the CKM500!! Dsnuts, so what is metal used on the housing of the CKM500, brass? I'm a bit confused. I don't think it's Aluminum or Titanium. Is it?

May 22, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #332 of 1,921
The tonality on the highs and details in sound point to aluminum. Crisp detail and very distinctive imagery again aluminum..The closest older earphone to these was the CKM77s but these are so much more refined to them and those used aluminum. Cheaper material used but it is all about the sound tuning.

Lol! Eric you seem more impressed with these than I was. I would have never imagined..Truth be told I was blown away too. The thought process for this thread flowed immediately after hearing them for the first time.

The exciting version of the neutral sound? Kinda fitting description no? I wonder what Joker would think if he heard these. Lol!!

May 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #333 of 1,921
I am highly impressed. But see I found something on Audio-Technica's website referring to brass with the CKM500. Unfortunately, it only translated part of the text, so I can't really make out what is brass in these the shell or something inside, but they are using some brass with these earphones somewhere.

May 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #334 of 1,921
Yes, Dsnut, I still can't believe the sound for price. Although they have a different sound signature, these are approaching EX1000 refinement to my ears without burn-in.. I am truly amazed!! GR07 still has the most natural drums I'ver heard in a universal (next to the ASG-1), but but the refinement and cohesiveness of the drums in the CKM500 is wonderful!! Nice timbre indeed!!...

May 22, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #335 of 1,921
I bet they are using a aluminum housing with a brass ring. That would make sense. If you look at the box they have a main part of the housing which could be aluminum with a solid brass ring for a stabilizer in there. I don't know what they did exactly but they got the sound going on. On these. Another thing that these have is the way the driver is mounted to throw out 100% of the driver sound. Something they did on the old CKM50 earphones. So that is another reason why these have a big sound vs your average earphones. These guys learn from past tech and if it works they add more and more and 3 generations of CKM earphones later we get these.

May 22, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #336 of 1,921
Quote:
 Another thing that these have is the way the driver is mounted to throw out 100% of the driver sound. Something they did on the old CKM50 earphones. So that is another reason why these have a big sound vs your average earphones. 

??? Explain further please?

May 22, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #337 of 1,921
This is a tech AT came up with on the older CKM50s. The way traditional drivers are mounted to the housing. There are points that overlap on the edges of the driver. AT developed a method to mount the driver so 100% of the driver is throwing out the sound. Basically nothing is blocking the drivers.. Here take a look at the old CKM50 box. They used this on the CKM500 as well. AT seem to be proud of this little enhancement as they use it on every single CKM earphone since. So basically even though these use a bigger than average 12.5 mm driver. The sound they put out is more like a 13.5mm driver resulting in a bigger sound. Sorry for the fuzzy pic

May 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #338 of 1,921
^^^ OH? Okay, cool!! Thank you for the information, sir.

May 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #339 of 1,921
Well Eric I am glad you are enjoying these. These do represent a whole lot of AT know how for not that much and I wrote on the first page these might become very popular and I stand by this statement. What not to like. These just throw out a fantastic sound. An easy to listen to high end sound for not much money. I have to take off for home now but for all the guys that was considering getting something new. Get these..You will all be pleasantly surprised what you guys are getting for your hard earned cash.

May 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #341 of 1,921
Quote:
By Ericp10's impressions, these seem like an entry level top-tier sound for the less than the price of the Klipsch S4. Ridiculous.

I won't call them top tier yet until they break in really well, but they are knocking on the door hard, eke2k6, screaming for a seat with the big boys. I will say, however, that these clearly sit at the top of the mid-tier. I really can't think of a mid-tear IEM that beats them overall in sound and comfort. Thanks again for everything, Dsnuts. You get mad "props" from me....

May 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #343 of 1,921
Nice impressions guys and welcome to the club for those who just bought :) your in for a treat. Im currently listening to these through my c421>lod>nano 6g combination and honestly i cannot ask for more. The ckm500 imo, surpasses (in terms of overall music enjoyment) my ex600, gr07, ckm77, dba02 and to the extent of my full size cans. The overall cohesiveness is just staggering for the price. From top to mids to bottom, i am 100% satisfied. Indeed a very clean and smooth sound for under $100. I would dare say the value of the sound is around $200-250. A job well done for dsnuts for discovering this gem. Now awaiting the ckm700 LOL

May 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #345 of 1,921
If you have some custom tips it makes the sound even more special. I have my Aurisonics' custom silicon tips on the CKM500 and I'm in audio heaven. The clarity and details are ... I really don't have any words right now.... Back to listening... I can't believe it, really...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back