The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #346 of 1,921
I can imagine having custom tips. It'll be like a custom! but after experimenting with various tips, ive settled for the sennheiser cx980 tips. The pink bore ones which make the bass even more punchy and increases comfort. If what you guys are hearing from stock tips sound good already, what more with better tips!

May 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #347 of 1,921
Quote:

deadhorse.gif
...lol

Well, let me say this real quick, Dsnuts was on the MONEY!!! when he stated these IEMs are very refined. I would say refined and pushing toward wonderful lushness. I wouldn't say the soundstage is so wide (it's not small either), but I would say it has some amazing depth. Like you can hear where the musicians are while playing their instruments behind the singers. The vocals are some of the most lush and detailed vocals I've heard for an IEM under $200 (and forget about under $100). The vocals are also pushing toward analytical - as close as a dynamic driver can without sounding super cold and sterile. It's weird, but there's a nice touch of warmth with the vocals although there are rich details revealed in the singing. And I am typing this before I get any really good burn-in (AND I BELIEVE IN BURN-IN!!). I wonder what these IEMs will reveal after 100 hours?

Okay, very nice (I mean quite nice) details and micro-details in the guitars, bass and higher register instruments. Piano is forward in the mids, but not too forward. Vocals seem to be in front of the instrumentation. Very nice instrument separation, but not on the level of the W4 (which I think is the best universal for instrument separation, although the ASG-1 is not too far behind). But for a $72 IEM I can't think of anything that beats it in that price range (or a $100 more). And it's not like the CKM500 is miles and miles behind the W4.

I am really not trying to hype these up too much, but I am amazed. I was skeptical on what Dsnuts was saying, although he hasn't been off the mark really on anything he talked about that I've tried. The sound is so rich that I keep looking at my receipt and thinking I paid much more for these. I'm getting all of this from listening to Radiohead, Queen, the Clark Sisters (gospel music), and Led Zep. I am almost too giddy to think what these will sound like with jazz. That's coming up next though.

Treble is not harsh or too bright, but quite extended on cymbal crashes. Bass can really hit the sub-bass level and is really solid and punchy, but doesn't necessarily stay there when not needed, and it's not overabundant bass like in the terrific JVC FX700.

Criticisms? Well, the only thing I can think of is it would be nice if it had a bit of a wider soundstage, but this is not to say the soundstage is small (say like the SM3). 

I hear details going from front to back of the stage more so than in width of the stage or tallness of the stage sound (like the IE8 and ASG-1 respectively). It's just amazing when I think that I have spent two or three times more on other IEMs than what the CKM500 cost, yet the CKM500 blow many of those IEMs away. But to be fair, the CKM500 - again - is not blowing away any universal like the W4, ASG-1, or EX1000. But it's closer than anyone would have ever imagined. It does surpass, however (in my opinion), the EX600, SM2, and the FXT-90 (especially in lushness and refinement). The FXT-90 may have the CKM500 beat in edginess of guitars and with a bit wider soundstage (plus those dual drivers give the JVC a unique layered sound). The FXT-90 is also much more warmer than the CKM500.

GR07? Hmm? I don't know yet other than the CKM500 is more refined than the GR07. The GR07 probably has a wider soundstage - at this point without burn-in - and deeper sub-bass (maybe, but I'm not so quite sure about that yet). If it has more Sub-bas it is not beating the CKM500 by much. The GR07 has harsher highs. The TF10 doesn't touch the CKM500 at all in my opinion. And the Sony XBA-4 doesn't beat this ATH in refinement and detailed sound (actually the XBA-4's vocal are too cold and analytical for my liking, but not as richly detailed). The ATH is clearly beating the GR07, FXT-90, EX600 in instrument separation.

I have never really been a fan of the ATH sound (I tolerate it in the M-50 and I have a couple of ATH IEMs that I never listen to and I'm about to give to my nephew as h.s. graduation gifts). These CKM500s are a different story. But even with these initial impressions, I am still trying to figure these IEMs out. One other thought: the CKM500 loves to be amped. I'm listening to it right now connected to the my Fiio E9 desk amp and using the E10 as the DAC. Superb!! Ask a question and I'll try to give an answer, but I'm still in submersion mode with these earphones. Vocals are outstanding!! I feel that the sound of the CKM500 is closer to the sound of the EX1000 in REFINEMENT than the Sony's little sister, the EX600. And the best thing about that statement is that the CKM500 doesn't have the harsh piercing highs that both of those Sonys possess.  Okay, back to listening. Tone of guitar notes is just wonderful, but I haven't had a chance to really grasp what this IEM can do with strings yet.

Hi ericp10, I see that you have the RE262 like I. The Re262 are my most favorite iem because i love listening to female vocal singers and the Re262 does them justice, and i was wondering how the CKM500 compares to it in your opinion. 

May 22, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #348 of 1,921
Oh, man. Here I go, ordering these. :frowning2: :)

May 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #349 of 1,921
Quote:
Hi ericp10, I see that you have the RE262 like I. The Re262 are my most favorite iem because i love listening to female vocal singers and the Re262 does them justice, and i was wondering how the CKM500 compares to it in your opinion. 

Hello phantopersona. The comparison is a bit difficult because the Re262 is a more mid-focused IEM than the CKM500. The refinement of the ATH is encompassed throughout its entire sound spectrum. I would have to A/B the more extensively, but the based on memory the CKM500 has far more detail than the RE262 (and I like the RE262 a lot). But the RE262 is almost bass-anemic compared to the CKM500... And I know you didn't ask me all of the above, but I wanted to be some things in context before answering your question.

So, I think the CKM500 renders female vocals with more detail and richness. I'm listening to the female lead singer of Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band, and I think there is a richness in her voice through the CKM500 that's not in the RE262. But to be totally fair I would need to A/B them, which I may be able to do this weekend.

May 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #350 of 1,921
They sound like these iems would be in good company with my RE262 from your impressions. So they are more detailed without be sibilant?I await your A/B comparing the 2!
popcorn.gif
. Also let's hope we both get our Scosche iems XD 
wink_face.gif

May 23, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #351 of 1,921
Quote:
They sound like these iems would be in good company with my RE262 from your impressions. So they are more detailed without be sibilant?I await your A/B comparing the 2!
popcorn.gif
. Also let's hope we both get our Scosche iems XD 
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

May 23, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #352 of 1,921
They sound like these iems would be in good company with my RE262 from your impressions. So they are more detailed without be sibilant?I await your A/B comparing the 2!:popcorn: . Also let's hope we both get our Scosche iems XD :wink_face:

And as I'm dumped from the Scosche sweepstakes, I find myself here. This will be fun when the ckm500 show up.

May 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #353 of 1,921
Quote:
If you have some custom tips it makes the sound even more special. I have my Aurisonics' custom silicon tips on the CKM500 and I'm in audio heaven. The clarity and details are ... I really don't have any words right now.... Back to listening... I can't believe it, really...

eriicp10, are you wearing these over ear?

May 23, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #354 of 1,921
Quote:
 eriicp10, are you wearing these over ear?

Hello cute. No, I tried but I think based on the design you can't wear them over ear. But the fit so snug that I don't think you will need to wear them like that. There's no chin slider either, but I don't you will need that. Great earphones.

May 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #355 of 1,921
Quote:

Hello cute. No, I tried but I think based on the design you can't wear them over ear. But the fit so snug that I don't think you will need to wear them like that. There's no chin slider either, but I don't you will need that. Great earphones.

Thanks, can't wait to see if the female vocals sound as good a they do on the Audio Technica headphones in my sig, in comparison!

May 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #357 of 1,921
Quote:
It's a very reasonable price.  $74 shipped by EMS from cdjapan

Argh. CDJapan's site is not sending the automatic email for verification. Yes, I checked both regular box and the spam box. Maybe they are not shipping to the US? In the meantime, I am sending some cash to my PayPal account as a backup, but that takes days for them to transfer into it.  
blink.gif

May 23, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #358 of 1,921
Quote:

Argh. CDJapan's site is not sending the automatic email for verification. Yes, I checked both regular box and the spam box. Maybe they are not shipping to the US? In the meantime, I am sending some cash to my PayPal account as a backup, but that takes days for them to transfer into it.  
blink.gif

That's strange. I got the confirmation seconds after I ordered.

May 23, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #359 of 1,921
Quote:
Hey, Eric I know you went a bit into it but would you mind doing a direct A/B against the FXT90s? 

Also, does anyone have a picture of the ckm500 in their ear? 

Hello. A buddy of mine keeps holding my FXT90 hostage, but I'll try to get them back tonight or tomorrow and do a more extensive A/B test on both IEMs. What I stated yesterday was mostly by memory (snatched my FXT90 from him briefly), but I can tell you that the JVC is nowhere close in refinement and lushness of sound. This is not to say that the FXT90 isn't a wonderful earphone and does some nice things in its own way. 

May 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #360 of 1,921
Oh boy!  I can't beleive I'm considering getting these.  I'm super happy with my CKS77's, but from the description of these, I keep thinking "I have to try these!"  I just switched from Winamp to Poweramp on my phone for playback, and I'm liking the better sound of Poweramp, but I keep coming back to this thread, looking for someone to go "Meh, these aren't that great.", and it never happens.  It's just person after person praising the full sound and wonderful dynamics of these.  "Damn you Head-fi, for slowly killing my wallet!"
devil_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back