The ATH-AD900 Thread
Jan 1, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #573 of 668
AD900's are still far and away my favourite headphone. Currently own Alessandro MS Pro and Shure SRH940 as well, while both great headphones the ad900 just works for me. Comfort is a big deciding factor, love the wing design of the AT's. I find the other phones I've tried much more uncomfortable and much more fatiguing. Love the bass on the ad900, it's there if you want to hear it but it's the perfect amount for what I listen to (mainly metal). Prefer the guitars even to the Alessandro's.

Looking to sell my pro's and 940's, anything else I should try from the AT range? Didn't like the AD2000, poor comfort too. Was thinking the w1000x as a closed alternative.

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #574 of 668

Quote:
Mess with the positioning of them, they're more prone to being worn "wrong" than the Ad700.

Yeah, that was the problem.

I had the headband rotated towards the back of my head and that was making them sound thin.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #575 of 668
After a day with them on right I still find the peak at 5khz too much, using an EQ and bringing it down 2dB makes them a lot better.
But I don't want to use an EQ all the time, anyone know of a mod that would tame the peak?

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #576 of 668

Quote:
After a day with them on right I still find the peak at 5khz too much, using an EQ and bringing it down 2dB makes them a lot better.
But I don't want to use an EQ all the time, anyone know of a mod that would tame the peak?

You want to take the headphone apart instead of changing 2dB on your eq?

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #577 of 668
confused_face_2.gif

I feel the same about that statement.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #578 of 668
Never mind.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #579 of 668
Yeah, I can not use foobar all the time. 
Other software does not have the same EQ as foobar and the ipod touch I own also does not have an EQ that can do what I need it to do.

Quote:
You want to take the headphone apart instead of changing 2dB on your eq?

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #580 of 668
Has anyone recabled their headphones?

I'm looking into these as my next pair but am put off by their 10ft cable. Looking to get a 3-4ft. recable and was curious to see what type of cable would suit their sound the best.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #581 of 668
i got these headphones and for gaming with an astro mixamp and music mainly on my laptop and android phone. for gaming they are the best thing i have ever experienced, i actually forget i am wearing headphones they are so comfortable and the sound stage is truely amazing the only gripe i have is explosions are kinda flat due to lows being so light.

i thought about picking up a zo2 for them to punch up the low end a bit, but on my android phone using voodoo control any tiny amount of bass boost gets me a clicking in the right driver, it was hard to tell that i was actually hearing it until i ran a frequency sweep, and its clear that its only the one driver between around 50-60hz that clicks like crazy in the right driver only.

i have only had these for a few weeks and the vendor on amazon has offered me a full refund, not just a replacement pair. being that i am new to audiophile headphone market, i have, as some stated "looked elsewhere" for something with more lows, but is there anything else out there with an amazing directional sound stage where i can pinpoint in game action, but has a little more low end.

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #582 of 668
I wonder if some debris got into the voice coil gap and causing problems when the driver moves further during low frequency excursion? Not much you can do about it other than get another pair. I too have an Android phone (Samsung Epic 4G) rooted with custom kernel with VooDoo Sound and have been thinking about the AD900s. Have you used any other headphones or Grados you could compare to the AD900? How are they out of your phone compared to your computer?

Quote:
i got these headphones and for gaming with an astro mixamp and music mainly on my laptop and android phone. for gaming they are the best thing i have ever experienced, i actually forget i am wearing headphones they are so comfortable and the sound stage is truely amazing the only gripe i have is explosions are kinda flat due to lows being so light.

i thought about picking up a zo2 for them to punch up the low end a bit, but on my android phone using voodoo control any tiny amount of bass boost gets me a clicking in the right driver, it was hard to tell that i was actually hearing it until i ran a frequency sweep, and its clear that its only the one driver between around 50-60hz that clicks like crazy in the right driver only.

i have only had these for a few weeks and the vendor on amazon has offered me a full refund, not just a replacement pair. being that i am new to audiophile headphone market, i have, as some stated "looked elsewhere" for something with more lows, but is there anything else out there with an amazing directional sound stage where i can pinpoint in game action, but has a little more low end.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #583 of 668
the only other thing i have used on the phone is some earbuds and some old bose triports (please dont hate me) i used to think they sounded ok, after hearing the ad900s i can only say they might be ok to use as hearing protection as long as they are not plugged into anything, since that for sure will hurt your ears.

i looked into grados before i bought the ad900s and they dont have the huge sound stage that the ad700/900 have that gamers love so much. i am using these for probably 70% gaming and 30% music/movies to keep peace in the house when the better half doesnt want to hear it.

the sound on my computer(macbook pro running windows7) doesnt sound different at all from my phone (also an epic 4g), being 32 ohm they are like everyone says easy to drive and sound great without an amp.

edit: i have been playing with the sound a bit and they sound fairly good on my macbook, minus the one driver clicking listing to some remixes on youtube just using windows bass boost. compared to the pc the phone sounds flat like it needs an amp :/

i am now looking into the dt860 but have my concerns about there comfort and sound. if the 32 ohm drive like the ad900s i might be able to pony up an extra $100 i was going to spend on a zo2 putting me into some dt880s or i may just keep them since i love the way the mids/highs are on these.

<tangent>
a friend of mine who is far better off in his wallet than i am has a full home theater of B&W CM series speakers, when he 1st got them i helped him set everything up, its driven by an onkyo 5008 and i was absolutely blown away by the quality and the sound stage that these silly yellow coned speakers made. ideally i want to find some headphones that do this, without having to carry around an amp. the AD900s are close, they have the same feel with the large sound stage and warm mids but the serious lack of low end limits them. The b&w sub is like nothing I have heard before, very tight and has a nice punch to it, watching 007 when a machine gun is firing you feel every round flying out of the automatic, so when people talk about the bass on the ad900 is “tight” and “fast” and this and that i wonder if they seriously believe it. I guess the best way I could describe the bass output on the ad900 would be like having a really nice home theater sub, but not in a room inside a house…. Have it setup outside in a flat field and then stand 50 yards away from it. just like the ad900s its playing all the sounds they should, but the sound is very distant.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #584 of 668
I've been lurking on Head-Fi for a while and I just picked up a pair of AD900s.

I have to say, however, that the comfort just doesn't match the AD700s, which are the most god-damn comfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn in my entire life. They clamp far tighter and they're much more picky when it comes to head positioning. Is there anyway to do the foam mod on the AD900s without affecting the sound with the stock velour pads? Even when I wear them "properly" the comfort still leaves a lot to be desired.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #585 of 668
got my return from the ad900s and i picked up a set of DT990s 32 ohm IMO the sound stage is as good and the lows make it that much better. i couldnt be happier ditching the ad900s for something that has fuller sound without an eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back