The ATH-AD900 Thread
Dec 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #559 of 668
Thinking about picking these up as my next headphones.

I've read some threads where people have compared the sound signature towards the Grados (bright/forward) sound. Can anyone confirm?

I love the Grado sound but the comfort of Grados can become an issue with me personally. If I can get a similar sound with the comfort that everyone says these has then they might be a good buy.

Also what kind of amps pair well with the AD900's?

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #560 of 668
One thing that I don't get about Audio Technicas is how few of their 3D wing models have wishbones/yokes on the ear cups.  The A700 and A900 do, and they make them much more comfortable (versus say an AD700), so I don't understand why they all aren't fitted with them.  

Quote:
Does anyone have disassembly pictures of the A900?  I'm currently taking mine apart to try and repair them but I can't seem the get the wire the runs to the other side.

You mean you can't find it?  The audio signal might be run to the other side by way of the two metal hoops.  I know AKG uses this method.  

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #561 of 668

Quote:
Thinking about picking these up as my next headphones.

I've read some threads where people have compared the sound signature towards the Grados (bright/forward) sound. Can anyone confirm?

I love the Grado sound but the comfort of Grados can become an issue with me personally. If I can get a similar sound with the comfort that everyone says these has then they might be a good buy.

Also what kind of amps pair well with the AD900's?

They sound like an sr225i, but with much better separation and soundstage.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #562 of 668
Some appreciation thread, I'm now far less convinced than i was a couple of hours ago that these are the next phones for me. Treble is a concern as i'm really not a fan and i'm surprised to hear people say they are so aggressive. Current hp is the DT440 and they are aggressive enough for me and are great for rock. Was really after something more laidback and warm.

Will probably now go with the HD598 as its been described as a cross between a Senn and AT can. Best of both worlds??? Was really hoping for a comparison somewhere in this thread but didnt see it if its there. I listen to most styles of music but DO NOT listen to hip hop or dance and about the heaviest band i listen to is Mastodon. Would it be possible for someone who has heard both to give me comparison?

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #563 of 668

Quote:
Some appreciation thread, I'm now far less convinced than i was a couple of hours ago that these are the next phones for me. Treble is a concern as i'm really not a fan and i'm surprised to hear people say they are so aggressive. Current hp is the DT440 and they are aggressive enough for me and are great for rock. Was really after something more laidback and warm.

Will probably now go with the HD598 as its been described as a cross between a Senn and AT can. Best of both worlds??? Was really hoping for a comparison somewhere in this thread but didnt see it if its there. I listen to most styles of music but DO NOT listen to hip hop or dance and about the heaviest band i listen to is Mastodon. Would it be possible for someone who has heard both to give me comparison?

I really like the DT440. Better soundstage than the MS-1, better bass impact/extension and midrange than the AD700, and better treble than the HD555. They really don't get enough support around here. My only issue is the comfort isn't the greatest. From what I read the HD598 will probably have slightly larger soundstage and slightly less bass impact.  Treble will be laid back in comparison but that might be what your looking for.  Just don't expect it to necessarily sound better since it will be more of a sidegrade than an upgrade.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #564 of 668

Quote:

The AD900 has a good amount of treble, but the mids are its highlight.  The treble wasn't as piercing as Beyer 'phones for me

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #565 of 668
I really like the DT440. Better soundstage than the MS-1, better bass impact/extension and midrange than the AD700, and better treble than the HD555. They really don't get enough support around Nhere. My only issue is the comfort isn't the greatest. From what I read the HD598 will probably have slightly larger soundstage and slightly less bass impact.  Treble will be laid back in comparison but that might be what your looking for.  Just don't expect it to necessarily sound better since it will be more of a sidegrade than an upgrade.

Nice summary, really enjoy them. Just looking for something a bit better in some ares and slightly different. The DT250 is another option, how do you find it?

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #566 of 668
Am I the only one that hates the AD900 compared to the AD700?

They sound a lot thiner and I have to wear them with the back of the pads sitting on my ears to get any bass at all.

They also are very sibilant vs the AD700. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #567 of 668

Quote:
Nice summary, really enjoy them. Just looking for something a bit better in some ares and slightly different. The DT250 is another option, how do you find it?

DT250 has less soundstage and treble and a little more bass. They have a sound that doesn't instantly wow (there a bit laid back and smooth but not boring) but grows on you over time. They sound good with just about anything like the DT440.  The DT440 and 250 are my 2 favorite headphones.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #568 of 668
Is your AD900 fully burnt in yet?

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #569 of 668

Quote:
Am I the only one that hates the AD900 compared to the AD700?

They sound a lot thiner and I have to wear them with the back of the pads sitting on my ears to get any bass at all.

They also are very sibilant vs the AD700. 

Mess with the positioning of them, they're more prone to being worn "wrong" than the Ad700.

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #570 of 668
So I think I'm getting hit by upgraditis. Been using the AD900s for 3+ years, easily thousands of hours, amped, unamped, with tube amps, solid state amps, and with different sources. They were my first quality headphones and will never be forgotten. Build quality is astonishing, they have lasted extremely well, have not replaced the pads yet even though they are pretty cheap. The pads don't even look very worn, perhaps a little "flatter" than they were when new. The soundstage is huge, sound clarity is great, bass is unobtrusive. But as you do, I'm starting to wonder about what else is out there. I don't know what to get next, but I do know a few things. They need to be MORE comfortable than the AD900s. Yes, the AD900s are comfortable, but I do very long sessions (3-4-5 hours regularly) and I have a big head, so things do get uncomfortable around the ears. I do not find them heavy, and the wing  pads on top of my head feel great, but the ears do get uncomfortable. I have tried the HD800s and found them more comfortable - I think it's because nothing touches my ears.

I will be using them mostly with a PC, for movies, games and music. Budget-wise I'd consider up to $2k - this would need to include an amp and sound card. So what have people moved up to, from the AD900s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back