The ATH-AD900 Thread
Sep 21, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #451 of 668
hi all, i want to buy AD900,
with heamamp is the perfect match?
if i have minimum budget to buy headamp, which is the best?
if im not using headamp, can this AD900 SQ is good too? (i want to use AD900 + laptop HP DV6-3027)

Oct 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #452 of 668
I'm in love with a hookerrrr.
lol love these cans. hands down. had a listen at my friend's house. buying now

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #453 of 668
I got mine a couple of months ago. Great cans. They really are a good all rounder. Perfect for my FPS gaming and sound great with everything musically I chuck at it. My only gripe, is of course the lack off bass. I am not a bass head but I like my rock to sound a bit fuller with a punchy kick drum to give it that extra energy and aggressiveness. Regardless, for the price these are very hard to beat IMO.

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #454 of 668
you sure you didn't burn it in?

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #456 of 668
what other phones have you tried?

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #458 of 668
Hey guys
I owned a pair of AD700's and just sold them.
I use a Nuforce uDAC-2 on my laptop and wanted to buy the AD900 for mostly FPS gaming. Bad Company 2 and Call of Duty.
Are the AD900's a step up for gaming over my AD700's??
Is there a noticeable difference between the two?
The AD900's have a wider soundstage right??
Thanks for any help on my purchase

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #459 of 668
Hi everyone, first time posting - 

Just wanted to say that I recently bought the AD900 and am extremely satisfied with them. Out of the box first impressions were that they were very detailed but a bit harsh and piercing, after just a few hours of burn in they started smoothing out and I'm currently at about 20 or so hours and they keep sounding better. Also, before these cans I listened to my music exclusively through a pair of Shure SE530 which, in comparison, sound much warmer and have a "fuller" tone, though that gap is decreasing as the Audio Technicas burn in. I know enjoy these more than I do my SE530 even though they were almost double the price. Excellent for all genres of music though the vocals sound a bit distant which is somewhat confusing as I've heard a lot of people compliment these cans on their ability to recreate vocal music beautifully. Another drawback is that they're very "revealing" in that if you have a bad recording or compressed audio file it really shows, unlike my Shure IEMs which are able to cover up the imperfections far better. Conversely, well recorded lossless audio sounds fantastically clear and detailed.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #460 of 668
I just bought these headphones and thought I should add my 2c to this thread. Keep in mind, I'm no expert...

It took me a little while to get used to these cans. My first mistake was that, due to the lack of bass, I had the volume up louder than I realised, which resulted in shrill highs. Honestly, no review could have prepared me for how the response drops off towards the bass. I was expecting the response to be perhaps like typical ESLs or something. ESLs tend to be bassy compared to these phones. One of the things I wanted to do with these phones is music production: trance and other electronica. I'm quite happy with a non-flat response for production, because it's not that hard to compensate if you know the signature of the equipment you're using. However, with virtually NO bass, it is very easy to get the levels wrong. These phones are NOT a good choice for production. I've tried using EQing to help use these for production, but the bass becomes cloudy if I amplify it.

In spite of what I've said above, I will not be returning them or on-selling them. What they do, they do VERY well. I listen to Bach and Vivaldi a lot, and they are SUPERB for baroque music. In fact, I think I will need some better recordings, because these phones betray some of the limitations of the recordings. I've listened to some Chesky stuff, and it sounds hyper-real. Vocals are also great, as are most acoustic recordings. I'm not a huge fan of pop, but most pop is produced to work on smaller systems, so the bass extends higher into the midrange. This means that the bass that is lacking on genres such as hard trance, are quite apparant. Alice deejay "better off alone" is a good example. RnB sounds good on them too. In fact, I would strongly disagree with those saying that rap is not good on them. I think these cans DO give a sense of intimacy with rap, but it's WITHIN a large soundstage. I don't listen to rap much...except for some nerdcore...but I like the effect.

One thing they have made me realise is how good my SPEAKERS were for the money. The clarity of the mids and highs on these are definitely better than my speakers, but only marginally. The separation is also better. If I could only keep one or the other, I would keep the speakers, because they are more versatile, but for SOME things, the ad900s are much more effective. The speakers in question are Event TR-8s. I paid less than AUD1000 IIRC.

I have these cans plugged into my Stanton RM-80 mixer, it's a low-end mixer, but it seems to be giving me a little more 'fullness' than my soundcard alone. The soundcard is an Audigy 2 Platinum, which was wonderful (and expensive) when I first got it, but is a bit passe these days. Still, it's better than any onboard sound I've heard to date.

My next pair of phones will probably be a closed pair and I will be looking primarily for flat response. I would still use the ATs for baroque and jazz and maybe a couple of other genres, and use the closed for trance and especially for production. After that, I'd like to try a pair of Stax, at which point the ATs may be surpassed.

Comfort-wise, I think these are great. They are incredibly lightweight for the size. I can see why some people find the "fat pad" mod necessary. I can feel the drivers pressing against my ears (and I don't have huge ears) but it doesn't bother me like I have found with some other phones. The 'wings' are a stroke of genius. ALL headphones should have something like this. The just fit to my head perfectly. They are nice and loose too, but don't threaten to fall off.

EDIT: I just realised that I have probably only ever heard orchestral, jazz, acoustic, and vocal stuff on ESLs, so my comparison above is possibly completely wrong. I'd be interested to hear some hard trance or something of that nature on ESLs and see how they stand up compared to the ad900s for bass intensive genres, then I'd be able to accurately re-evaluate my above statements.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #461 of 668
I just got these. I had the AD700s before and came to the conclusion after reading many threads that the AD900 was the logical upgrade. Things I've noticed between them:

-Ad900 seem to fit a little better, a more tight feel. I like this.
-Ad900 seem to have a slightly better build quality.
-The ad700s, while amazing, seem a bit grainy to me now. These are like liquid gold.
-Slightly more bass than the ad700s.

I've only use these for about 1 hour so far, so not much use. I'm impressed at how well they work with my iPod and how well they sound with onboard sound. I can't wait to try these out when I get my Xonar D1 soundcard, These headphones are absolute pure joy in a metal casing.

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #462 of 668
The AD900 are now $199 at Buy.com and Amazon. Have they been priced this low for long? I don't remember ever seeing them so low. Currently wondering if I should upgrade from my AD700...

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #463 of 668

Quote:
The AD900 are now $199 at Buy.com and Amazon. Have they been priced this low for long? I don't remember ever seeing them so low. Currently wondering if I should upgrade from my AD700...

I found out about this price about a week ago, before then I think they were like $350 on Amazon. Audio Technica prices rise and fall so quickly that it's hard to figure out when to buy. $200 is the lowest I've ever seen them though. If you look at my post above you from when I first got them I fell in love with them immediately, at the price of $290. They are everything your Ad700 are, but better.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #464 of 668
Be careful ordering from amazon. I bought a pair just this week and ordered it through adorama but instead of getting ATH-AD900 I was sent ATH-A900. When I talked to customer service they said it was the wrong product being displayed by amazon yet they are still selling some.

Also I have a question about AD900s packaging, I'm paranoid and thinking somehow the new pair I received isn't new because it doesn't have a warranty card and the accessory adapter wasn't taped down like with the AD700s packaging. If anyone could tell me what they had/what their original packing looked like I'd appreciate it.

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #465 of 668
I've been staring at them on amazon a lot lately.  Mainly as an upgrade to the ad700's.  So the amazon add is not actually sending out ad900's, but a900's?  

Do these things creak like the ad700's do?  

That is my main annoyance with the ad700's.  Personally I find the bass quantity on the ad700's to be perfect for my tastes so I'm guessing I will love the ad900's for their more prominent midrange because I'm into rock music.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back