The ATH-AD900 Thread
Jan 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #407 of 668
I ordered from musicians friend. They are also available at accessoryjack (the specific link is a few posts up) and Guitarcenter, though guitarcenter was out of stock for a few days.

I get the feeling they order them from AT before sending them off to me. I even went through a good portion of official websites (AT maintains a list) and found nothing else.

Here're the links:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 Open Air Dynamic Headphones and more Studio Headphones at GuitarCenter.com.

Buy Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 Open Air Dynamic Headphones | Studio Headphones | Musician's Friend

I e-mailed a nearby AT dealer, but they only carry AT phono stuff. Here is their reply to my e-mail (most of it).

Quote:

The AT AD900 is a private label headset made specifically for Musician's Friend. Other than the secondary (used) market, it is available from no other source.

The AD700 is currently backordered until the end of January. On-line pricing for this product approaches our cost and if you opt to purchase that headphone, although it pains me to say it, on-line is probably your best choice.

Even if what he says about the AD900 isn't true, it certainly is hard to find anywhere else. Also, this explains why the AD700 is such a good deal.

Thanks a bunch mobaddict. When I looked online, I thought the stax headphone looked to be pretty big. Although it's square, I can still imagine there being room to shift it about. I'm glad you enjoy it.

Of course getting the ad900 will probably not be a stopping point for me, I'll have to curtail further purchases until my wallet recovers. I'm still pleased with my experiences thus far, though!

Jan 30, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #409 of 668
Has anyone tried these with the EF2? I ask because I wonder if I paid the price for committing the cardinal sin of buying before testing. I expected that the amp section wouldn't help these cans out, but even the DAC seems to fare little better than my mobo sound...

Feb 25, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #410 of 668
Had my cans a month or so with about 30+ hours of burn in.

My setup is as follows:

VT1708S 8-Channel HD optical out ===> True Colour Industries Coral Optical cable ===>
Musical Fidelity v-dac optical in ===> v-dac rca out into ===> astro gaming a40 mixamp ===> ath-ad900

rca to line in cable is a cheapo but gold plated if that helps.

Here comes the quesiton
===============

These cans are insanely bright and detailed and i was wondering what would be the best diy headphone amp to accompany these cans would be. I know I should be looking at a laid back sound so as not to overdo the shrillness. Anyone got any recomendations.

Would a The Starving Student Millett Hybrid be just the trick or would it increase the brightness to fatiging levels.

Thanks.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #412 of 668
wenhui: they have nothing in common.

AD900: open design, leaks a LOT, very bright upper mids/treble (somewhat agressive), lean bass, very fast & detailed.
A900 (which i only auditioned a few minutes): sealed design, sounds close in and dark, not impressive at all in the mids/treble IMO.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #413 of 668
See my signature: I own both the A900Ti and the AD900.

AD900:
This headphone has an ultra-wide soundstage, and has the most lush mids I've ever heard. That makes it an awesome headphone for vocal music. Jazz, especially female jazz, is simply amazing. The bass quantity might be lacking for some people, although bass quality is excellent. It goes very deep and is very well defined and textured, although the bass just doesn't have that much weight. The highs are very good. They extend quite far, but aren't fatiguing at all. And something else I shouldn't forget to mention: this a fast headphone!

A900Ti:
This special, limited edition of the regular A900 is a beast. I've never heard the A900, but I've read many comparisons between the two where people say the A900Ti is in another league. I'd like to believe so. Bass is excellent, period. Have you ever listened to either Amon Tobin or Burial? Both artists know sub bass. My A900Ti handles that perfectly. I can actually feel the bass and sub bass, yet it's all still very well controlled. The highs extend very far, too. Definitely further than with my AD900, but again, it's not fatiguing at all. The mids are very neutral, so vocals in the music don't stand out as they do with the AD900. The soundstage is okay at best. Definitely a lot smaller than that of the AD900, but that's to be expected, as this is a closed headphone.

Conclusion:
All in all, the AD900 is best suited for listening to natural music (non-electronic) with vocals. It also excels at classical music. The A900Ti, on the other hand, is best suited for electronic music and rock. I love both these headphones, but feel that the A900Ti is the better one. Of these two, it's certainly the one that wins the PRaT-award. I don't know the exact ratio, but my A900Ti probably gets 75% of head time, while my AD900 gets 25%. When at home, that is, as my SE530 gets 100% when commuting. But that, children, is another story.

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #414 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by dollarindex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had my cans a month or so with about 30+ hours of burn in.

My setup is as follows:

VT1708S 8-Channel HD optical out ===> True Colour Industries Coral Optical cable ===>
Musical Fidelity v-dac optical in ===> v-dac rca out into ===> astro gaming a40 mixamp ===> ath-ad900

rca to line in cable is a cheapo but gold plated if that helps.

Here comes the quesiton
===============

These cans are insanely bright and detailed and i was wondering what would be the best diy headphone amp to accompany these cans would be. I know I should be looking at a laid back sound so as not to overdo the shrillness. Anyone got any recomendations.

Would a The Starving Student Millett Hybrid be just the trick or would it increase the brightness to fatiging levels.

Thanks.

To me they seem warmer on the SS amps I’ve used which are the Zero and Compass. They are a tiny bit bright on the TU882 and overly bright on the LD III.

Feb 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #415 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See my signature: I own both the A900Ti and the AD900.

AD900:
This headphone has an ultra-wide soundstage, and has the most lush mids I've ever heard. That makes it an awesome headphone for vocal music. Jazz, especially female jazz, is simply amazing. The bass quantity might be lacking for some people, although bass quality is excellent. It goes very deep and is very well defined and textured, although the bass just doesn't have that much weight. The highs are very good. They extend quite far, but aren't fatiguing at all. And something else I shouldn't forget to mention: this a fast headphone!

A900Ti:
This special, limited edition of the regular A900 is a beast. I've never heard the A900, but I've read many comparisons between the two where people say the A900Ti is in another league. I'd like to believe so. Bass is excellent, period. Have you ever listened to either Amon Tobin or Burial? Both artists know sub bass. My A900Ti handles that perfectly. I can actually feel the bass and sub bass, yet it's all still very well controlled. The highs extend very far, too. Definitely further than with my AD900, but again, it's not fatiguing at all. The mids are very neutral, so vocals in the music don't stand out as they do with the AD900. The soundstage is okay at best. Definitely a lot smaller than that of the AD900, but that's to be expected, as this is a closed headphone.

Conclusion:
All in all, the AD900 is best suited for listening to natural music (non-electronic) with vocals. It also excels at classical music. The A900Ti, on the other hand, is best suited for electronic music and rock. I love both these headphones, but feel that the A900Ti is the better one. Of these two, it's certainly the one that wins the PRaT-award. I don't know the exact ratio, but my A900Ti probably gets 75% of head time, while my AD900 gets 25%. When at home, that is, as my SE530 gets 100% when commuting. But that, children, is another story.

Great comparison! I must find a store demoing the A900Ti.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #416 of 668
I completely agree with Bengt's comments on the AD900, particularly on how the bass is quality, but not quantity. Well put, too.

As it is, I really need to get more of the music it sounds best with. It's so much better now!

Was(is?) the A900Ti more expensive?

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #417 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by dorkvader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was(is?) the A900Ti more expensive?

In the US, it's extremely hard to get. In Australia, though, it can be bought anywhere. The price, converted to US dollars, is around $400. So yes, it's more expensive. It used to be even more expensive; the introductory price was $500, I believe. It's well worth $400, in my opinion, but $500 is really stretching it. The hard part with ordering it from Australia is that you pay a lot for shipping and handling. Also, many online stores won't even ship to anywhere but Australia or New Zealand.

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #418 of 668
Thanks Bengt77! I have the A900ti but I was wondering how the sound of the AD900 differed from it, and to how much of an extent.

@mobbaddict
Thank you too, for taking the time to describe your impressions of the A900 and AD900.

:)

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #419 of 668
New AD900 owner chiming in!!!

Very pleased with the sound but still struggling with the soundstage. Its been several YEARS I'm not used to actual speakers and quite used with a run-of-the-mill headphone with pronounced bass and very small soundstage.

It is like my brain is getting confused: "this sound seems to be coming from far but I can feel these cups over the ears.. what is going on???".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back