The ATH-AD900 Thread
Nov 7, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #377 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After a hiatus listening to HD650s and GMP 8.300Ds, I am back to the AD900s. Yup, I still love 'em!
They sound even better through my (realatively) new MK V.

Is there an audible hiss using the AD900 + Mk V?

Another head-fier tried this combo and found it created an annoying hissing noise.

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #378 of 668
I think I will hit a fitness store today and get some excercise tubing and try the Phat Pad mod and see what it's like just for fun.

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #379 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I will hit a fitness store today and get some excercise tubing and try the Phat Pad mod and see what it's like just for fun.

Do not forget to try different sizes (distance from ear), and perhaps a tapering from back to front for an angled driver whatever..
confused_face.gif
Also, try other materials other than tubing... Low density foam I think would work best like our AD900 brother had used earlier. I tried felt material = not good (It was all I had)...

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #380 of 668
Been using them for a few days now with the backs open and a small ammount of foam gently wedged in the centre part of the driver (just like the holofill) - presumably contricting air flow a little. This I'd say has been my favourite variation for the open back mod. Its got that nice open detailed sound but the mids are a little meatier and fuller. The thicker the foam / holofill, the more 'coloured' the sound seems : so keep it thin (as the original poster commented his holofill was almost 'transparent')

So far I feel tack on the back on the drivers actually worsens the sound. Its makes it too aggressive and doesn't 'feel' right.

I mean this does sound really good. I went a bit crazy tweaking for a while, many experiments, but removing the thin sheet of black foam that covers the back and using a little bit of (different) foam placed in the centre of the driver is my current fave. Give it a try!

I'm really curious to know how the open backed AD900s compares to an AD2000 - I'm tempted to think they are the same drivers tweaked to suit the open back (some kind of compensation for the mids) plus the impedance is a little difference - 35ohm for the AD900, 40ohm for the AD2000 - I was thinking of building a 5ohm impedance adapter to test to hear if there are any improvements with a little more resistance - does anyone know the resister values I'd need for a 5ohm adapter? I get my Rs and Ks mixed up when dealin with resistors!

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #381 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spraj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can drill the stripped screws out. I stripped two screws on my AD700, just drilled them out and bought some larger ones at the hardware store the next day. If you do drill them out, cover up the drivers with some cloth to keep any metal shavings out.

How do you drill them out? I mean, they're metal right? and the surrounding is plastic. I'm quite lost here.
I have one stripped screw as well, dont wanna do anymore damage to it but it's quite irritating since I cant do anything about it

Nov 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #382 of 668
I have the Ad900 but am finding them extremely uncomfortable, The dome shaped driver Just digs in my ear and no amount of re-adjusting makes it go away. Im thinking of changing for the Ad700 If they dont have this protruding driver, Can anyone with the 700s confirm this and are they comfortable?

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #383 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by martb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Ad900 but am finding them extremely uncomfortable,

I'm very sorry to read that. Sure, the drivers touch my ears as well, but I don't find it too distracting to be turned down by the AD900. It just sounds way too good to let such a minor annoyance get to me. I do have quite flat ears, though. If yours are somewhat protruding, I can imagine it would indeed get annoying after a while.

Is it just the fit or are you also disappointed by how the AD900 sounds?

Nov 21, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #384 of 668
No its just the fit, After roughly 20 mins my ears start going numb I dont have sticky out ears but neither are they flat might be a combination of things. As regards to sound here they excell I love everything about them they sound superb, Just a real shame about the fit.

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #385 of 668
take a look around for a mod called phat pad, it helps get the driver off your ear.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #387 of 668
The beginning of the thread has multiple posts recommending against the phat pad mod because of their impact on the sound. Just an FYI if you haven't read that section.

On a more depressing note, after purchasing these late August I set my HK soundsticks aside (living in a college dorm doesn't really allow for much speaker action). Today I pulled them out again for kicks, only to discover that their sound signature doesn't seem...significantly worse than the ad900s. In fact, turning down the ridiculous "bass," they seem strangely very similar. So...What is wrong with me?

2 possible reasons. 1. I'm suffering from hearing loss, or 2. My source actually makes such a big difference that it makes my ad900s sound like trash/soundsticks sound like gold. Currently running laptop onboard sound, FLAC/ mp3 320....

If the reason is the former, I have no reason to look for a DAC/amp combo at this rate without the capacity to appreciate the difference.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #388 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3hggnore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2 possible reasons. 1. I'm suffering from hearing loss, or 2. My source actually makes such a big difference that it makes my ad900s sound like trash/soundsticks sound like gold. Currently running laptop onboard sound, FLAC/ mp3 320....

If the reason is the former, I have no reason to look for a DAC/amp combo at this rate without the capacity to appreciate the difference.

While the Soundsticks are optimized for use with computers, most headphone aren't. They probably need a bit more than your laptop can feed it.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #389 of 668
Question. How are these in comparison to the A900 closed phones in terms of sound? And are they just as easy to drive? Are the mids recessed?

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #390 of 668
They don't have much in common. The A900 which i heard briefly sounds dark and bassy, the mids are recessed to my ears and the soundstage is smaller. The AD900 which i owned is very bright (much brighter than the RE0s you have for instance) with forward upper mids/treble and a wide open soundstage (very diffuse). The latter sounds more natural to my ears. Both are very easy to drive (the AD900 for sure).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back