The ATH-AD900 Thread
Jun 8, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #122 of 668
When I got my AD700s (just last week!), I immediately knew that the only conceivable upgrade for me (ever!) would be to move up in the AD*** line. Rather than waiting, I have gone ahead and ordered the AD900s. I hope that they truly are as great as the reviews here suggest. If so, it will be money well spent (and probably the last phones I will buy, since the AD1000s and 2000s are said to have some issues while the W5000s lack the airy sound that is so impressive about the AD700s.)

I should have them by Friday, and I am really looking forward to hearing them for myself!

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #123 of 668
i was also suprised at the size of the each ear pad area, but so far my ears don't mind the feel of them. lucky me i guess...
Still if there is any drawback to the AD900 is that i now understand what "compression artifacts" are, and how bad they sound. Yes this is for some a good thing, and probably will be for me after i.. switch everything that sounds like this to Flac,Trueaudio, or ape. But laziness is winning over me at the moment ^^

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #124 of 668
It turns out that my AD900s shipped from Kansas, not Japan. As a result, I will get them today rather than having to wait until Friday!
I am excited, since my AD700s are insanely great and the idea of something even better is literally unimaginable until I actually hear it!

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #125 of 668
intoart,
Wait before burn in before judging the ad900s because my first impressions were that they missed some of the ad700s excitement. Once I got the head placement right and some burn in, the ad700s were no longer better at anything vs the ad900.

Jun 10, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #126 of 668
My impression so far is that they are slightly better, but only slightly. The AD700s are so incredibly good, however, that even that slight improvement is a seriously impressive accomplishment.
Since I had the money at hand and didn't have to make any sacrifices to get them, I find it a worthwhile upgrade. If I had had to scrimp and save to do it, however, it would not have been worth it (at least so far.)
One area where there is a definite, nonsubtle improvement is build quality.
If the AD700s are a diamond in the rough, then the AD900s are that same diamond cut and polished.
These will keep the upgrade demon at bay for a looong time (at least until I can afford HD800s.)

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #128 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im listening to a pair as I type this, they are a very comfortable headphone but the highs are way to bright for my liking they overpower the rest of the spectrum.

I have this feeling too. Burn in was very strange with mine though, it kept going brighter when i used pink noise, since then it has become more tamed, but still on the bright side. It sounds nice with calm musics but agressive with others.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #129 of 668
mine is actually slightly dark if anything
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #130 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im listening to a pair as I type this, they are a very comfortable headphone but the highs are way to bright for my liking they overpower the rest of the spectrum.

Brightness, to me, is a harsh, aggressive high end (eg Klipsch speakers.) While the AD900s do have a lot of energy in the high end, they do not seem bright to me in that sense because the sound is so smooth.
Also, the highs do not overpower anything else, because they are exceptionally well balanced (another of the many reasons that they are such wonderful phones.)

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #132 of 668
They are bright cans in comparison to many out there but Ive never heard sibilance on my ad900s. I think they are sometimes dark because of the warmth of the mids
biggrin.gif
Ahh and I hardly use them unamped until lately. They are brighter on my laptops headphone jack but not annoyingly bright

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #134 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's strange, maybe it comes from my source...

Maybe. My AD700 can vary from warm to very bright depending on my source.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #135 of 668
Nah, mine are bright-ish as well. Either that, or our phonaks are warmer than we think
smily_headphones1.gif

I can usually last for an hour before taking 'em off. That's why I'm looking at the DT990pro and the HD650.
I know, I know. But I found the DT990 on the hot side when I listened to 'em a while back.
Ah, should be interesting nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back