The ATH-AD900 Thread
May 2, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #64 of 668
yes! I even liked the ad700 more than the hd600 even though the hd600s were more refined. There are just some songs that are really impressive on the hd600s but its so picky unlike the audio technicas. Remember I replaced ad2000s with hd600s then got rid of the hd600s because of ad700s then now the ad900s are my fave overall

May 2, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #65 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what phone would complement the AD900?
If the AD900 were a superhero; what would the main villain be (ibuds can be henchmen heheh)?

A complement might be a U-shaped phone with super heavy bass and sizzling top end. I don't know what that would be, though. Some kind of beyer or denon?

May 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #66 of 668
I thought HD600 is a perfect complement to AD900. HD600 gives you warm and laid-back presentation that AD900 lacks (IMO).

May 2, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #67 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A complement might be a U-shaped phone with super heavy bass and sizzling top end. I don't know what that would be, though. Some kind of beyer or denon?

That describes the Beyer DT770 250 pretty well.

I think the HD650 compliments the AD900 very well. The HD650 is laid back with liquid vocals and bass slam. The AD900 is crystal clear, slightly forward, and has lots of bass detail.

May 2, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #68 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did it take this phone so long to take off.

Not enough people picked them up I think. When I bought my AD900 3 years ago, there were very few reviews on it. Everyone was enamored by the A900 at the time. I think there was only 1 reviewer on here who picked one up in Japan. I've since gotten rid of it, they are great HPs. My issue with them was that the drivers sat on my ears, and having super sensitive ears, after a while they would get painful. There is a mod that fixes it but it changes the sound signature a bit -- some say better since having the drivers sit away from your ears with the mod tames the highs.

I noticed someone mentioned using rap with these.. I wouldn't expect much. They do hit the bass right, it's there, tight and accurate is what I would describe it (from what I remember). If you want to hit that bottom-end, something like the Beyer would be more suited. At the time I was able to compare side by side the AD900 and a DT770/80, and I specifically recall Nelly's EI.. the DT770's had way more 'slam' than the AD's. The AD's I loved for most other kind of music, especially electronica -- the spaciousness and airiness with some tracks was phenomenal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That describes the Beyer DT770 250 pretty well.

I think the HD650 compliments the AD900 very well. The HD650 is laid back with liquid vocals and bass slam. The AD900 is crystal clear, slightly forward, and has lots of bass detail.

Agreed on both counts.

May 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #69 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought HD600 is a perfect complement to AD900. HD600 gives you warm and laid-back presentation that AD900 lacks (IMO).

or maybe hd650 or hd800?

May 2, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #70 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or maybe hd650 or hd800?

Could be better but I have not tried HD650 yet. And of course, HD800 is way out of my range.

May 2, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #71 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My issue with them was that the drivers sat on my ears, and having super sensitive ears, after a while they would get painful. There is a mod that fixes it but it changes the sound signature a bit -- some say better since having the drivers sit away from your ears with the mod tames the highs.

That wasn't by any chance the mod where you put tubing in the pads, was it? I tried that, and it sounded completely horrible! It made everything sound boxy and weird, and totally destroyed the sound of the phones. I listened to about 2 notes and had to take out the tubes right away.
tongue.gif

May 2, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #72 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by brn80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed someone mentioned using rap with these.. I wouldn't expect much. They do hit the bass right, it's there, tight and accurate is what I would describe it (from what I remember). If you want to hit that bottom-end, something like the Beyer would be more suited. At the time I was able to compare side by side the AD900 and a DT770/80, and I specifically recall Nelly's EI.. the DT770's had way more 'slam' than the AD's. The AD's I loved for most other kind of music, especially electronica -- the spaciousness and airiness with some tracks was phenomenal

Yeah that was me. I don't really worry about the bass slam, i've compared the DT770 & the DT880 and i ended up buying the DT880 as i originally planned to. I liked it much better and even found the bass a bit too warm for my tastes! (at least unamped) Only problem is it's harder to feed than what i expected, so i'm trading it for the AD900.

I think the AD900 doesn't have the popularity it deserves because it's hard to find, i bought the last cheap one on ebay and now you have to buy it on audiocubes (220€ in Europe) or at the local dealer (280€ in France).

May 2, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #73 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That wasn't by any chance the mod where you put tubing in the pads, was it? I tried that, and it sounded completely horrible! It made everything sound boxy and weird, and totally destroyed the sound of the phones. I listened to about 2 notes and had to take out the tubes right away.
tongue.gif

Yep, gerG's phatpads mod. I tried different tubing sizes, I found one that was a good compromise between distance and sound signature change -- but you're right, it does drastically change the sound. It's unfortunate that my ears are hyper-sensitive. After about 30 mins, sometimes longer, they start hurting, and I can't touch them (wear the same style headphones) for a good hour or so. This is why I can't really enjoy Grado's too much either. Additionally, since the drivers are a bit away, this will also negatively affect the bass quantity/quality. I think it if it weren't for that, I would have kept them permanently -- great headphones that are mostly limited by your source vs. source+amp.

May 2, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #74 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that was me. I don't really worry about the bass slam, i've compared the DT770 & the DT880 and i ended up buying the DT880 as i originally planned to. I liked it much better and even found the bass a bit too warm for my tastes! (at least unamped) Only problem is it's harder to feed than what i expected, so i'm trading it for the AD900.

I think the AD900 doesn't have the popularity it deserves because it's hard to find, i bought the last cheap one on ebay and now you have to buy it on audiocubes (220€ in Europe) or at the local dealer (280€ in France).

I've heard the pre-2005 version of the DT880, and if you find that sufficient, you will enjoy the AD900, especially if you found the Beyers to be on the warm side.

It is a hard to find headphone, I'll agree. I'll have to find my old post, but I picked it up through pricejapan.com. Not sure what the pricing is there, but for me, it cost less than Audiocubes. If you're not familiar with them, you basically use the Japanese search engine (shopping) or if it's in their list, you can use that. They will charge you actual price of unit + shipping + their cut. It actually was the cheapest option for me at the time. Since you're in Europe there is also the tax/duty factor -- it's the same with me since I've moved to up Canada.

May 2, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #75 of 668
I haven't thought of buying it online in Japan, the websites are usually available in English as well? Anyway i think ebay is more convenient if you don't want to pay any tax (there's always a risk though but i haven't been caught yet!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back