The ATH-AD900 Thread
May 1, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #46 of 668
Count me in! I, too, love my AD900. Everything seems to be alright at last, as there's a whole lot more interest and love for them lately on Head-Fi. A little late, but better late than never. They sound amazing, even for the money (they are a bit expensive). The bass is there alright, it's just not boomy. It is very detailed, though, and goes very deep. The emphasized mids make it the perfect headphone for vocal music and jazz. Never heard those genres better than on my AD900. I love my A900Ti, too, but not for 'natural' musical styles.

So yeah, I love them!
atsmile.gif

May 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #47 of 668
I really like the airy sound of AD900 too. It is definitely going to be my favorite headphone for long time. I liked AD700 so much that I wanted to upgrade to AD900 and it was very worth the money!

May 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #49 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already asked a couple of times, but how does it compare to the HD600?
(btw: Becoming the Archetype sounds awesome on these cans btw)

Okay, I have both of these headphones, and I can say that first of all the AD900 obviously sounds much better without an amp. An amp isn't even needed for the 900s, while the senns suffer to various degrees without one. Straight out of a portable dap or cd player, the HD600 isn't really a very enjoyable can, imo. It definitely needs at least some minimal amping. It even sounds better with an E5 than nothing, but that is not what I would consider "minimal" for these phones. They need something at least like probably an ibasso T4 or (what I have) a hotaudio raging moose, and that is bare minimum, imho. I've never heard a cmoy or the pv2v2 so I can't vouch for whether those would have enough juice, but I think it would take a good mid-level amp ($200-500) to really start to get the 600s to sing to their potential. With the RM, the SQ between the two is roughly on a par I think -- the AD can achieve slightly more volume and dynamics -- but I think with stronger amplification the HD might close the gap or even possibly surpass the 900.

Speaking from just portable amping, the HD600 has a smaller soundstage than the AD900, while even unamped the AD900 has an "airier" and wider sound to it. Again, with better amping I would expect the 600 to open up more and sound a little less constricted, but to what extent I don't know yet firsthand. From what I've read, there are considerable gains to be had with the HD600s with each level of equipment upgrade you do.

HD600 gets the nod for better bass, but the mids and highs of the AD900 are definitely more forward and pronounced, sometimes a little bit artificially to my ears. Some of the mid frequencies of certain songs, for example -- especially horns and female vocals -- sometimes have a "spiking into the ears" effect similar to low end grados like the SR60 or 80. If you listen to mostly jazz, I would prefer the AD700s over the 900s because the 700s are much smoother in that range, although I like the 900s better overall.

Going back to the senn vs. AD900, the HD600 is a much "smoother" sounding headphone, while the AD900 is a little brighter, "sharper" in the mids and highs, and I would call it more "chaotic," meaning sometimes some of the mid/high frequencies seem artificially spiked to me. I often get the impression that the phone is "all over the place" and lacks a kind of focus, and the expansive soundstage doesn't help that. All that contributes to a livelier, more involving sound, though, and in comparison the HD600 can almost sound staid, flat and boring because of the smoothness and smaller soundstage. I *think* upgraded cables and a better amp would help solve that (and possibly more burn-in), but I can't say for sure so I just give my impressions based on the gear I have right now.

For comfort, I give it to the AD900s. I don't like the largeness of the cans on the open AT phones, and how it feels like they're covering half your face, but I have a small-medium head and maybe for a larger head that wouldn't be an issue. For me, they are way more comfortable with a hat on and that solves a lot of the issues. The senns otoh are like the "death grip from hell."
tongue.gif
They are really "working for the clampdown"
biggrin.gif
and have a very tight fit. The top headband pads also seem to press down too hard and I think they can actually feel a little uncomfortable. They probably just have to get broken in and molded to my head more -- I'm stretching them out the last few days and that seems to be helping -- but right now the AD900s are the winner for comfort.

That's the best I can do for now, hope it helps.
smile_phones.gif

May 1, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #50 of 668
crap. I just posted an enormous reply here. Then Chrome messed up and my reply was gone. Anyways; basic point was something like this: thanks a bunch userlander! Really appreciate it!
HD600 sounds interesting, though I'm not sure of the bass. The AD900 has just enough of it for me. It's perfect for me actually. Agree on the highs though. And the chaotic nature.
I should just try them out sometime.

May 1, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #51 of 668
At first listen the hd600 has awesome bass and the highs are smooth. In the end, I had enough of the smooth glaze over everything sound and the bass is less defined than the ad900 I feel although the hd600s have more of it.

May 1, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #52 of 668
I got the AD700 recently and am absolutely floored by the SQ/price ratio. For those of you that have tried both 700 and 900, will the SQ difference justify the cost difference? I know there will be law of diminishing returns but just wanted some opinions for when the (inevitable) upgraditis hits.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #54 of 668
My AD900 probably get more head time than any other headphone. That's largely in part to their comfort and great gaming performance. They aren't usually my first choice for music since I don't find them as fun or as exciting as other headphones but there is something very natural about them. I don't know how to describe it but when I'm using the AD900 it feels like there is nothing getting between me and the music. Vocals on these are the best.

I think the the AD900 are the only headphones I would never part with. They're comfortable, well rounded, and feel very durable. I also haven't come across anything else that sounds quite like them.

May 2, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #55 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People have said the PFE with gray filters is bass-light.

I beg to differ. It's perfect for me. If the AD900's bass is around the same in quantity as that of the PFE equipped with gray filters, these are MINE.

Totally agree on that. Plus if you add the Shure Olives the PFEs have such a tight and punchy bass, which is just perfect for rap. I hope this is the same kind of bass with the AD900s. And i've noticed there are a few of us buying both AD900 & PFE
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #56 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My AD900 probably get more head time than any other headphone. That's largely in part to their comfort and great gaming performance. They aren't usually my first choice for music since I don't find them as fun or as exciting as other headphones but there is something very natural about them. I don't know how to describe it but when I'm using the AD900 it feels like there is nothing getting between me and the music. Vocals on these are the best.

I think the the AD900 are the only headphones I would never part with. They're comfortable, well rounded, and feel very durable. I also haven't come across anything else that sounds quite like them.

They do have a lot going for them. I'm doing another listen tonight after an hour or so on the HD600, and the 900s are so much more present and lively. I think they're overall more engaging than the senns.

May 2, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #57 of 668
userlander,
Has the gap between these and the ad700s gotten bigger for you or do you still feel the same way as before? I know that when I first got them I thought the ad700s were better in some ways still but now after burn in and knowing the correct ear placement( no driver touching the ears), the ad900s have become way better to me.

May 2, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #58 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
userlander,
Has the gap between these and the ad700s gotten bigger for you or do you still feel the same way as before? I know that when I first got them I thought the ad700s were better in some ways still but now after burn in and knowing the correct ear placement( no driver touching the ears), the ad900s have become way better to me.

I'd have to say for me they're still pretty close. Are the 900s better in every way? I'd say they are better in *most* ways -- but not by a lot! -- and merely *different* in others. Soundstage, for example, I actually prefer on the 700s. I don't think it's necessarily "better," but just different in a way that I liked better. Not as chaotic.

It's that midrange on the 700s I couldn't deal with and didn't like at all for chillout, techno, rock, etc. but now after hearing the 900s, I realize I would pick the 700 for jazz. So for example if the two had identical frequency signatures, without that upper midrange "veil" on the 700s, then I guess I would rate the 900 as about 10 or 15 percent "better." But otherwise I think a lot is a matter of preference. The better aspects of the 900 aren't going to make it a "better" phone for you if you think the mids are too forward and the soundstage is too weird. So personally while overall I prefer the 900, the 700 remains an incredible value, imho!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope that made sense, it got late here and I'm basically just rambling.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back