The ATH-AD900 Thread
Apr 19, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #31 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wont they get a little honky and blurred with the w5000 pads?

I tried W5000 pads and found the bass to overwhelm the midrange. Just my 2c.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM Post #32 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Userlander, seriously? You don't think there aren't enough AD700 v AD900 threads where the AD900 gets bashed by AD700 lovers?

Not trying to bash anything, only giving my honest impressions. For the record, I much prefer the AD900 to the AD700, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea I am an AD700 lover out to bash the AD900? I actually like both, only I think they suit different tastes and listeners with the midrange differences (and for me comfort is an issue with this particular design of both). But I'm not "bashing," just being honest about what I hear.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, now I want to know where you live! The HD600 around where I am are around $300 and the AD900 about $279!

+1 If anything, the AD900s are usually more than the HD600, which you can even get refurbed from authorized dealers for $225 these days. Lowest price on the AD900 I'm aware of is the ebay listing from Japan for $234 shipped, while from US dealers I think they're usually around $279 retail, minimum.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #33 of 668
really? =/

I live in Australia. The government makes an absolute killing off taxes. Maybe they charge more taxes on Senn cans than they do ATH cans.

If the HD600s were the same price as the AD900s, I would have snapped up a pair.

Apr 19, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #34 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had them on for some long gaming sessions before, too. The longest was probably during a 3 hour Starcraft match.

Heh... noob
wink.gif

I clocked 12 consecutive hours once playing Mount&Blade (of all the games...
rolleyes.gif
). Needless to say my face was more than adequately warm
biggrin.gif

I absolutely love mine. I have them plugged in my compass now (Neutral + Moon) and I'm loving it.
All this talk about the HD600 got me wondering though... how do they compare to that particular model?

Apr 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #35 of 668
One last question and unless those new Shure cans turn out to be ridiculously good, I will plan on definitely getting the AD900.

Does the AD900 have a noticeable midbass hump? I like real, balanced bass, not the thump from the midbass that makes foolish teenagers in BMW's go wild. A midrange that is slightly forward is okay (though I'd prefer a more forward treble than a forward midrange), but I don't want it to cause the bass to thump when and where it shouldn't. I'm not a basshead. In fact, I'd call myself a treblehead, or a sparklehead.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #36 of 668
AD900 do have a hump I believe for a mids, but it's on the high end of mids, not the low end. So you won't have toworry about that midbass hump.

The bass on AD900, I love it, it's great for rock and music with female vocals in particular. It's there, with impact, and detailed. If you are looking for quantity looks elsewhere, maybe the AD2000 or the HD650 instead.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #37 of 668
People have said the PFE with gray filters is bass-light.

I beg to differ. It's perfect for me. If the AD900's bass is around the same in quantity as that of the PFE equipped with gray filters, these are MINE.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #38 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the AD900 have a noticeable midbass hump? I like real, balanced bass, not the thump from the midbass that makes foolish teenagers in BMW's go wild. A midrange that is slightly forward is okay (though I'd prefer a more forward treble than a forward midrange), but I don't want it to cause the bass to thump when and where it shouldn't. I'm not a basshead. In fact, I'd call myself a treblehead, or a sparklehead.

Hmmm, seem like AD900 might be the right cans for you, but if they don't even provide you enough sparkles, then AD1000 definitely would fit you, or might be SR325i or AD1000 PRM
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884
The bass on AD900, I love it, it's great for rock and music with female vocals in particular. It's there, with impact, and detailed. If you are looking for quantity looks elsewhere, maybe the AD2000 or the HD650 instead.

Bass quantity, a yes for the HD650, but IMO the AD2000 are not, though they have more than other AD-cans. But i found that to me they have the most exciting bass I have ever heard (should I just ignore ED9, PS1, L3000 or other higher end cans
biggrin.gif
), you know tight-fast-deep-refined, that makes the other cans seem less fun in the bass aspect, not because they are boring, but just like too "ordinary".
I still have the AD700, so I'm not missing AD900 that much, I would like to replace them by the AD900 though
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #39 of 668
I don't know,
The ad900 does not have boomy bass at all. Thats something you shouldn't worry about. The bass can go from very lean to just right with proper head positioning.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #40 of 668
Awesome. As long as there is not really an issue with sibilance, I will be getting these (assuming the Shures don't turn out to be crazy amazing). Thanks for your help, everyone.

May 1, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #42 of 668
This is now officially the most musical headphone Ive ever had. no other headphone has made me enjoy my music more. When I get audiophile tweak jitters, all I do is roll some tubes til i'm satisfied then im back listening to music. Im in no hurry to hear how good the hd800 or ps1000 sounds anymore

May 1, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #43 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Pixel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh... noob
wink.gif

I clocked 12 consecutive hours once playing Mount&Blade (of all the games...
rolleyes.gif
). Needless to say my face was more than adequately warm
biggrin.gif

I absolutely love mine. I have them plugged in my compass now (Neutral + Moon) and I'm loving it.
All this talk about the HD600 got me wondering though... how do they compare to that particular model?

My friend currently holds the crown among the people I know for consecutive hours of gaming... 23 hours of Age of Mythology.

Will all three of my pairs I can easily game for 2-6 hours at a time, longer if I still feel like playing at that point.
beyersmile.png

Assuming they fit the same way an AD700 does, I can easily see them being good for those 12 hours.

May 1, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #44 of 668
Holy smokes! 23 hours?!?!?! That's sick! How does the AD700 hold up against the DT880 btw?

It's so weird.... sometimes I'm bothered by the heat the HD900 generates, and can't get them to fit properly, and at other times I just hardly feel 'em on my head.
Any thoughts on the AD900 vs the HD600? Any closed phones that sound a bit similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back