The ATH-AD900 Thread
Apr 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #17 of 668
Do any of you have cameras?

atsmile.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #19 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT48 might have something to say about that..
beerchug.gif

I will gladly take a dt48 for comparison
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a little more transparent, but there is a definite midrange bump! I haven't decided yet if it is annoying or if I can deal with it.

Personally I think the bass is a little weak. I was surprised that it is only at most as good as AD700, while I was expecting it to be slightly more enhanced. Those are really the only two sound issues I have, though. It's a fantastic sounding headphone.

For me though, comfort is a major issue with these open ATH phones. The driver does rub my ear a little, but not as much as the AD700 did. The lack of angling must help with that. The bigger problem is just the sheer size and even weight of the cans. They are HUGE!
biggrin.gif
I also find them to feel a little heavy actually, and the "wings" both seem to press down into my head after awhile, but also allow the can to slip down if I move around to much. After about 30-45 min. the fabric on my face and neck just gets too much to take and I have to take a break. But for now it's worth putting up with, because they just sound so good.

Btw, great review, KT88. I think you're right that these bring the MUSIC! That was well stated.
smily_headphones1.gif

position them so that the drivers dont touch your ears. move them so that your ears rest on the back pads and you will get bass and better balance. move it around and experiment. your impressions match mine when i just got them.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #21 of 668
I think that the sound can be slightly adjusted with the right source. I never feel like there's something missing with the y1.

BTW, I did have a problem with comfort at first, but I guess I got used to it and I can now sit for hours with them on my head with no problem.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #22 of 668
yes the sound can be tweaked very easily. they are very responsive to different sources/amps but even out of the ipod they sound nice once positioning is right. If the drivers are touching your ears, chances are you dont have them at the optimal position.

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #23 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wont they get a little honky and blurred with the w5000 pads?

No. I wouldn't say I prefer them with the leather pads if it made them honky or blurred. To my ears they make the sound signature a little warmer and the bass impact more prominent, which I have already stated. This is to my ears and with my system, your experience may be different.

To the DT48 clan that show up more today than ever, how dumb are those guys at beyerdynamic?

They spend all this time developing headphones specifically for music (DT880, DT990, DT770) in mass produced numbers, only to be out-done by their own cheaper, undermarketed, different target market purpose based DT48e. They need to get some engineers that recognise that the DT880 etc can't compete against the superior music vehicle the DT48e, and get some marketing people to repostion for the music target market and get on with the job of getting the DT48 out to the masses (and making some real money), or maybe several Headfiers are just listening through rose coloured ears so to speak. I wonder.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #24 of 668
Could someone comment on the headband structure (difficult to tell in photos). Is it more 3D in adjustment like the A900 or more locked like the AD2000/W5000? I could never get the latters (even after bending) correct for my head.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #25 of 668
I, too, think that the AD900 are great. Mine don't get enough time on my head, I listen to my portables (RE2 and PortaPros) more when I'm going to uni or at work. They should get more time.

I find them super comfy, too. I find my ears fit nicely with the extremities of my ears sitting at the back where the pad meets the grille. I've had them on for some long gaming sessions before, too. The longest was probably during a 3 hour Starcraft match.

And here's the picture you're all looking for:
n500734470_850992_350.jpg

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #26 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a search and was amazed I couldn't find an appreciation thread for these amazing cans. Well, let me just say that these are my favorite cans now and are more musical and complete sounding than anything Ive ever had before(check my profile). Plus these guys sound great even out of my ipod touch 2g. Once you get the head placement right and enough burn in(I didnt count but they just came to place at some point within 100 hours), they are unmatched in their price class and may be the best regardless of price among headphones that don't need a dedicated amp.

DSCI9587.jpg

Yes I know. I always feel the AD900 gets left behind in appreciation. Always someone saying, it's not worth it, get the AD700, when they have not heard the AD900 before. Or it's for that much money get the HD600 and so on...

Thanks for starting the thread. AD900 is in it's own right a great headphone, that is overall IMO much better than AD700 and provides elements that Sennheiser headphones do not. So far they are by far the most comfortable headphones I have owned. It's incredibly durable, survive just about anything throw at it other than stomping on them. For sound, that fun sound, treble and mids great and unmatched among headphones I've tried for female vocals.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #27 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT48 might have something to say about that..
beerchug.gif

What the hell? This is an AD900 APPRECIATION thread, not a hijack thread for DT48. Just about anyone who reads this forum frequently during a week already knows in spades that you love the DT48.

@Userlander, seriously? You don't think there aren't enough AD700 v AD900 threads where the AD900 gets bashed by AD700 lovers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone comment on the headband structure (difficult to tell in photos). Is it more 3D in adjustment like the A900 or more locked like the AD2000/W5000? I could never get the latters (even after bending) correct for my head.

Can't say for sure, but looking at pictures, more similar to the A900.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the cheapest/most reliable place to buy these gems online in the US?

I bought mine from AudioCubes years ago when they were still $219. But now they are bit more. Cheapest I found was from Musician's Friend who sell them for $279 with free shipping. I believe AudioCubes is similar price but have to pay for shipping. And I remember with AudioCubes I got a notice from FedEx a few weeks later for duty fees which sucked.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #28 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Headband is more like the a900. nice and not too clampy unlike that of the ad2000s

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #29 of 668
YESH! I love my AD900s.

Quote:

Or it's for that much money get the HD600 and so on...

Mmm... not sure about where you live but the AD900s costs no where near the price of the HD600s. HD600s cost about $200 more. Probably the taxes...

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #30 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraNice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YESH! I love my AD900s.

Mmm... not sure about where you live but the AD900s costs no where near the price of the HD600s. HD600s cost about $200 more. Probably the taxes...

Hehe, now I want to know where you live! The HD600 around where I am are around $300 and the AD900 about $279!

Glad you love the AD900s though. Honestly I want to hear the HD600 sometime though, as I do love the HD650s also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back