The ATH-AD900 Thread
May 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #631 of 668
It is true that sometimes it takes a bit of adjustment to get that right spot, both for sound and for comfort.

After two years or so with these phones, and finding that yes, I do really like the headphones, the temptation is to hit the high end. But where to go next? HD800? Audeze? Oppo PM-1?

Apart from a very few minutes experience of the LCD-2, I have no experience of any of those as yet.

And, sometimes, when I put on the AD900s and turn on the music, I get that lovely but rare-among-audiophiles sensation: I don't feel like upgrading, just enjoying what I have some more :)

I bought the TLC-1 (I think of it as Tender, Loving Care!) because I got a fascination with it, I have never used separate pre/power amps for the hifi, and and made my desktop system fit around it. Of course I since discovered that lots of people have thought of using a pre-amp for switching and volume control in a PC-based system. New to me only. 

May 7, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #632 of 668

The TLC-1 is a very nice preamp but I ended up getting a Placette. I don't remember if it was the passive or active outputs on the TLC but it sounded great from memory.
I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 (600ohm) and a Little Dot MKIII and think its a viable upgrade from the AD900's with out spending the bank. It may lack some of the absolute high frequency detail the AD900's possess but makes up for it in every other way.

May 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #633 of 668

The TLC-1 is a very nice preamp but I ended up getting a Placette. I don't remember if it was the passive or active outputs on the TLC but it sounded great from memory.
I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 (600ohm) and a Little Dot MKIII and think its a viable upgrade from the AD900's with out spending the bank. It may lack some of the absolute high frequency detail the AD900's possess but makes up for it in every other way.

Thanks. As to the Placette, which I never heard of before, I just might (as per my LCD-1) be able to afford a second-hand one in ten year's time! 
wink.gif

Will look into the DT880...

May 7, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #634 of 668

Thanks. As to the Placette, which I never heard of before, I just might (as per my LCD-1) be able to afford a second-hand one in ten year's time! 
wink.gif

Will look into the DT880...

They are much less than you think, I have the Remote Volume Control which retails for $1000 and I picked it up in like new condition for under $600. which is a little pricey for a single input volume control but once you hear it (or not hear it) you will never be able to go backward. I vertically bi-amp with twin McCormack dna 0.5 amps and it sounds impressive and musical!

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #636 of 668
OK... picked up a Purity Audio KICAS\Caliente amplifier and finally got around to trying it with my AD900's. I have the amp in Caliente mode which gives a slight bump to the sub bass. These headphones sound so good with this amp, gone is the feeling of limited low end and the detail is still silly good. Don't get me wrong they aren't bass monsters by any stretch but that little bass boost gives them some much needed low end. These headphones are tough for me though... they are a little difficult to adjust to the correct position, lack bass and leak sound like crazy. They also sound amazing with female vocals, have detail that is crystal like and sound so good sometimes I think I could never sell them off. Now with the new amp I think these are a keeper. They don't sound this amazing with everything but with the right material they can sound superb! Nice headphone!

BTW Listening to Sara Swenson - all things big and small
smile_phones.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #637 of 668
Wow, I just received the AD900 and boy, am I impressed with these put out for their price! On the HD6X0 level I think, nice punchy bass, clean and clear mids and balanced treble. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #638 of 668
I agree! They sound very good for the price, I powered them from my LD MKIII and O2 and they sounded very good (especially with female vocals) but out of my Purity Audio amp they sound even better... it has taken them to another level IMO. In Caliente mode the amp gives a small "bump" to the bass and it seems to work very well with the AD900. If you haven't already, try some favorite female vocals and get ready for some incredible rich details. I really enjoy these headphones I just wish they didn't require the adjusting to sit correctly on the head. Do you have any issue's with this? I have a large head but still find getting them in position requires several adjustments.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #639 of 668
  I agree! They sound very good for the price, I powered them from my LD MKIII and O2 and they sounded very good (especially with female vocals) but out of my Purity Audio amp they sound even better... it has taken them to another level IMO. In Caliente mode the amp gives a small "bump" to the bass and it seems to work very well with the AD900. If you haven't already, try some favorite female vocals and get ready for some incredible rich details. I really enjoy these headphones I just wish they didn't require the adjusting to sit correctly on the head. Do you have any issue's with this? I have a large head but still find getting them in position requires several adjustments.

I too have a largish head and I had some problems with the pads, but I put some foam under them and not it's much better. 

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #640 of 668
I did do the foam mod and it gave my ear more room as it was touching the driver screen.
triportsad.gif

I'm talking more of getting them adjusted to the correct position on my head and ears to achieve maximum sound quality. I'm pretty good at it now and a couple of adjustments and I'm good!

Jul 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #642 of 668
Just chuck on the head and listen.

But then, when something catches the attention, and one wants to listen more closely, tweak them a bit!

The cushions rotate, so if one's ears are at an odd angle, they can be accommodated --- or to get a comfortable angle on the head --- but, as with many things messable-with, after some messing with this I just went back to "default" as best.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #643 of 668
Listening to some Essential George Benson right now and they (the headphones) are sounding very good indeed! The little boost in the lower register the PA amp gives them in Caliente mode makes it for me though, without it it is a little lacking (pains me to say). I wish Audio Technica had given them just a smidge more low end and this would have been an even more fantastic headphone. I think they could have done it with out loosing that incredible detail or messing up the mid-range...
Georges guitar and the detail within the percussion are great right now though and I am thoroughly enjoying this
L3000.gif

this is what this hobby is all about, a great headphone, great music, a comfortable chair and a cold beverage.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #644 of 668
OK, so I've had the Purity Audio KICAS/Caliente amp for awhile now and the pairing with the AD900 is absolutely amazing. This amp, in Caliente mode with this headphone is crazy good! I find myself thinking at work about how when I get home I am going to listen to specific piece of music just to hear what they are going to do. Does anyone else have these two together?

Audio magic
beyersmile.png

BTW listening to Strunz & Farah...incredible...

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #645 of 668
I remember when that amp was still available. I heard lots of good things about it, too bad it's not in production anymore. Doing a Google search, their is one on eBay for $120 right now, but I can't afford anything atm anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back