The ATH-AD900 Thread
Feb 12, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #661 of 668
  You have to try the sub if you can. At first I was like no way am I going to play a sub beside me as I listen but the fellow head-fier was right it works awesome. The AD900's need a little dump in the bass anyway. 

Also just purchased the HD600 and they are being delivered today any thoughts as someone who also owns the AD900 & HD600. I'd love to hear your input as the AD900 are detail masters IMHO

BTW I also own the DT880 (600 ohm)

I think you'll like the HD600.  The HD600 sounds amazing, it really does for the price.  All genres sound good on it too, where as the AD900 gets a little rough with metal.  The HD600 doesn't seem to have the detail the AD900 has, but it's not a huge difference.  The HD600 has a narrower soundstage as well, but better placement.  I've found the AD900 to get a little "confused" with some recordings when it comes to placement.  The HD600 is very easy to listen to, not fatiguing at all, where as the AD900 gets a little old when you're listening to music with a lot of treble.  The response is flatter on the HD600, it doesn't have that weird hump in the high mids.  I like that hump though for female vocals, violin, and piano.

Ultimately you need to see how you feel about them.  After my recent mods, I like the AD900's more than anything else in my collection.  For some though it would be the HD600 or DT880 before the AD900.  Headfi is really all about personal taste and flavor.  You may also have a completely different experience because of the rest of the gear in your chain (DAC, Amp, Cables, etc).

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #662 of 668
 Also just purchased the HD600 and they are being delivered today any thoughts as someone who also owns the AD900 & HD600. I'd love to hear your input as the AD900 are detail masters IMHO

I've made the "transition" from AD900s to HD600s. I'm still getting used to the differences. They make me uncomfortable sometimes, not because they are wrong, but just ...different.

I'd agree on the AD900s being best at detail, but the bass on the HD600s may make you wonder where it all went on the AD900s! I have an ifi iCAN amp, and the Xbass (boost) switch was always on max for the the AD900s: it is off for the HD600s.

You must have been listening to your HD600s for a couple of days now: looking forward to your AD900/HD600 experiences and impressions :)

Feb 15, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #663 of 668
Yes, I've been listening to the HD600 with my Keces amp and the Bushmaster DAC. They sound fantastic! I'm actually a little surprised I like them as much as I do, I didn't like the PX100 or HD598 so thought I might not be a good candidate for Sennheiser headphones but these are a class act. Very easy to listen to headphone. I've read they sound like listening to speakers and I agree.
I ended up selling my Purity Audio amp that I was listening to the AD900 with to fund another amp purchase so this could be the end of the road for me with the AD900. It will take some time though to make sure something in my headphone stable can take the place of the AD900 when it comes to classical. The HD600 seems like it could hang with the AD900 on vocals but the AD900 are amazing with classical. I'm not a huge classical fan but the AD900 are so good with classical it made me one.
So I would say the HD600 are everything positive that I've read about and possibly even more! Excellent headphone.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #665 of 668
So I've been listening to the HD600 for a bit now and decided to list my AD900's. Threw them on for a quick listen before listing them...forget it I'm keeping them. They are such a great headphone and have a unique quality all their own. They have detail superior to the HD600 and a light delicate SQ that I'm not ready to give up just yet. The HD600 is a fantastic headphone and an all around more versatile headphone than the AD900. If I had to choose I'd take the HD600... I'm just grateful I have the option to own both.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #668 of 668
Alea Jacta Est... (or... Arcem facere e cloaca)

Doesn't the AD900 make the HD600 seem a bit "veiled" in the details? (I can see at least seven dead members on the floor after reading this...)

HD600 seems "rounded up" "warmed" "smoothened", like missing a bit of clarity, brightness, openness... as if the tips of the frequencies had been "sanded down" and "rounded"?

DISCLAIMER: FAINT OF HEART DO NOT PROCEED READING

Doesn't the HD600 sound like an AD900 with a cloth on top of it?

(YOU that is rolling your eyes and slowly dying after reading.... I warned you!)

You must understand, this is MHO

Please enlighten me so that I don't repeat your mistakes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back