The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Jul 7, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #781 of 827
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHAD700.pdf
  Hi,
In France The AD700X cost the same as the Sennheiser HD598 (150€),
Which one would you recommend for long sessions of watching series and movies, playing games, listening to various kind of music...
And which will let my ears breath the most? Because it's the main reason why I want to buy open back headphones.
And what about the comfort?
thanks,

I have the HD598 and the AD700 (the original, not the current X version).  Yesterday, I listened to the second and third tracks at http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2015/05/audio-technica-ath-r70x-vs-ath-ad1000x.html with both headphones. I used a Dragonfly v1.0 and a Bravo V2 amplifier. I found that the description of the difference between the AD1000X and the R70X, respectively, captures well the difference between the AD700 and the HD598, respectively. 

However, the HD598 sounds very bad (strong midbass hump) when driven from a high-impedance source (such as my NAD 3130 amplifier); I suspect this is because the impedance curve of the HD598 has a very large peak around 100Hz (see http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf).  The HD598 sounds very good directly from the Dragonfly (which has low output impedance) and from the Bravo V2.  The AD700 is more tolerant of its source, probably because its impedance curve is rather flat (see http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHAD700.pdf). 

Comfort is a very subjective thing.  The clamp of the AD700 is very light, but the AD700 may feel uncomfortably loose on one's ears.  The HD598 is a little tighter, but it does not feel loose.  The AD700 has larger ear openings.  I think that the AD700 lets your ears breathe a little better, but overall to me the HD598 is more comfortable.

I must admit that I use the HD598 a lot more than the AD700.  Again, please note that I am writing about the AD700, not the AD700X.

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #782 of 827
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHAD700.pdf

I have the HD598 and the AD700 (the original, not the current X version).  Yesterday, I listened to the second and third tracks at http://www.lachlanlikesathing.com/2015/05/audio-technica-ath-r70x-vs-ath-ad1000x.html with both headphones. I used a Dragonfly v1.0 and a Bravo V2 amplifier. I found that the description of the difference between the AD1000X and the R70X, respectively, captures well the difference between the AD700 and the HD598, respectively. 

However, the HD598 sounds very bad (strong midbass hump) when driven from a high-impedance source (such as my NAD 3130 amplifier); I suspect this is because the impedance curve of the HD598 has a very large peak around 100Hz (see http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD598.pdf).  The HD598 sounds very good directly from the Dragonfly (which has low output impedance) and from the Bravo V2.  The AD700 is more tolerant of its source, probably because its impedance curve is rather flat (see http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHAD700.pdf). 

Comfort is a very subjective thing.  The clamp of the AD700 is very light, but the AD700 may feel uncomfortably loose on one's ears.  The HD598 is a little tighter, but it does not feel loose.  The AD700 has larger ear openings.  I think that the AD700 lets your ears breathe a little better, but overall to me the HD598 is more comfortable.

I must admit that I use the HD598 a lot more than the AD700.  Again, please note that I am writing about the AD700, not the AD700X.

From what I have read, a lot of people say the AD700x's have a better fit. They don't have angled drivers and I think they have a little more room for your ears. People have also said that they have a better fit to they may also stay on your head better.

What worries me though is that the AD700x's area huge step down in build quality comepared to the AD700s. I don't own the X versions but I have seen some people regretting that they got rid of the original AD700s. I think the new ones sound asgoood or maybe a tiny bit better so that is one good point.

People may be better off trying to look if there is anywhere they can still buy the original AD700s if they don't mide the strnge colour combination:D That is something, I think the new X version does look better, just not the cable.

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #783 of 827
The AD2000 is faster, has more bass, less grainy upper midrange.  The AD2000 also "takes" EQ better, allowing it to be a bit of a chameleon of sorts, while the AD700's detail and clarity tends to fall apart as soon as you try to EQ it at all.  The AD2000 has the same soundstage as the AD700, but the AD2000 sounds more natural in its placement.  Where the weird spikes the AD700 has tend to cause instruments with a wide tonal range to move back and forth as they go up and down their musical range.

I use my FiiO E11's bass boost and that seems to go really well with the AD700s. What I like about this bass boost is that it is deep bass which is what the AD700s need mor of. To me, the E11 hardly messes up the sound at all. The E11's bass boost doesn't go quite as well with my K550s. I never like adding anything but bass to my AD700s because that does tend to mess their sound up.
I have never heard the AD2000s so I obviously can't say that they don't respond to EQ better.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #784 of 827
I managed to squeeze in the HM5 pads on my AD700. This thing went from having the least bass in my collection to rivaling my modded and fully sealed T50RP.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #785 of 827
I think you mean "stretched" them onto your AD700.

You didn't get muffled mids/treble?

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #786 of 827
I managed to squeeze in the HM5 pads on my AD700. This thing went from having the least bass in my collection to rivaling my modded and fully sealed T50RP.

Don't those style of ear pads ruin the soundstage somewhat? I tried with the K550 ear pads and they increase the bass a huge amount but really let down the clarity of the treble. Everything just sounds muddy. I think the original AD700s pads must be made from the material they are for a good reason. Not having a good seal seems to help with soundstage on these.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #787 of 827
Hi. It's been a while.

I recently picked up a set of older AD700s and WOW. I don't miss my higher end headphones I sold off at all anymore. I'm pairing them with my Marantz 2275 and they're superb. They are unbelievably open, wide, clear, non-sibilant, and heavenly bassy.

Cheers!

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #788 of 827
Don't those style of ear pads ruin the soundstage somewhat? I tried with the K550 ear pads and they increase the bass a huge amount but really let down the clarity of the treble. Everything just sounds muddy. I think the original AD700s pads must be made from the material they are for a good reason. Not having a good seal seems to help with soundstage on these.

yeah. I've never been sure why people buy an AD700 and then try to turn it into a bass monster with marginal clarity and no soundstage.  

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #790 of 827
I've begun to to re-appreciate my ATH-AD700, and find them excellent for rock music. There's some seriously good clarity across all the spectrums, and I don't find the bass to be too lacking. Along with the pillow-like comfort that makes these like a cloud on the head and probably one of the comfiest headphones on the market, really the only way one could knock these is for the purple color :wink: even if it does look surprisingly premium. Mine are going on nine years strong, I believe. Crazy good value for the money to have a headphone last almost a decade and still compare well to recent headphones.

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #791 of 827
I've begun to to re-appreciate my ATH-AD700, and find them excellent for rock music. There's some seriously good clarity across all the spectrums, and I don't find the bass to be too lacking. Along with the pillow-like comfort that makes these like a cloud on the head and probably one of the comfiest headphones on the market, really the only way one could knock these is for the purple color :wink: even if it does look surprisingly premium. Mine are going on nine years strong, I believe. Crazy good value for the money to have a headphone last almost a decade and still compare well to recent headphones.

I like to hear that they last that long! I am worried about when the finally give up but it isgood to hear how long you have had them. I think I have had mine for at least 4 years. To me also, the build quality is great. Even tough my K550s have a very solid metal frame, I somehow doubt they will last as long. They somehow feel like they could snap easily. I don't think they will though. They have been treated quite carefully and they are coverd in scratches and even the paint has started to scrape off in places. The Ad700s are still in great condition. One thing about them that I notices haschanged is the 3.5mm jack. When I first got them the jack was pretty hard to get into everything, not it lookes more silver, it fits in better. The ear pads didn't last me this amount of time though. I actually bought a couple of replacement pairs which looks to have been a good decision if they will last a lot longer. My actually K550s even ended up getting a faulty dirstorting left driver in very little time. This was under a year anyway. They did get sent to AKG and it did get sorted out and has been fine since. I still don't think they will last as long as my AD700s though. My AD700s never seem to distort even if I add a lot of bass to music I am already sistening to pretty loud. The driverscope really well when you add extra bass if you want it. I have heard several people say that the new AD700x is a downgrade in almost all aread but the sound. The say that the cable is really bad in comparison. The AD700s cable is really good quality. The metal shield around the jack is very very solid. Quite a lot better than my K550s. The AD700x have a rubberised end around the jack with a cable that tangles quite easily from what I have read. They may be lighter but overall, I am pleased that I got the AD700s when I did.

Jan 9, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #792 of 827
I like to hear that they last that long! I am worried about when the finally give up but it isgood to hear how long you have had them. I think I have had mine for at least 4 years. To me also, the build quality is great. Even tough my K550s have a very solid metal frame, I somehow doubt they will last as long. They somehow feel like they could snap easily. I don't think they will though. They have been treated quite carefully and they are coverd in scratches and even the paint has started to scrape off in places. The Ad700s are still in great condition. One thing about them that I notices haschanged is the 3.5mm jack. When I first got them the jack was pretty hard to get into everything, not it lookes more silver, it fits in better. The ear pads didn't last me this amount of time though. I actually bought a couple of replacement pairs which looks to have been a good decision if they will last a lot longer. My actually K550s even ended up getting a faulty dirstorting left driver in very little time. This was under a year anyway. They did get sent to AKG and it did get sorted out and has been fine since. I still don't think they will last as long as my AD700s though. My AD700s never seem to distort even if I add a lot of bass to music I am already sistening to pretty loud. The driverscope really well when you add extra bass if you want it. I have heard several people say that the new AD700x is a downgrade in almost all aread but the sound. The say that the cable is really bad in comparison. The AD700s cable is really good quality. The metal shield around the jack is very very solid. Quite a lot better than my K550s. The AD700x have a rubberised end around the jack with a cable that tangles quite easily from what I have read. They may be lighter but overall, I am pleased that I got the AD700s when I did.

I wouldn't be surprised if the AD700 outlive me. The plastic has always been a little creaky, but otherwise the cable and drivers seem to be engineered like a tank. The only pair of headphones I've had die on me are the Klipsch S4i; I paid a decent amount and only got minimal use out of it. I definitely cannot add bass to my ATH-700 through an equalizer: it distorts even with minimal bass boost, and ruins the other frequencies as well. Perhaps through an amp, but the ATH-700 don't equalize well at all for me.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #793 of 827
  I wouldn't be surprised if the AD700 outlive me. The plastic has always been a little creaky, but otherwise the cable and drivers seem to be engineered like a tank. The only pair of headphones I've had die on me are the Klipsch S4i; I paid a decent amount and only got minimal use out of it. I definitely cannot add bass to my ATH-700 through an equalizer: it distorts even with minimal bass boost, and ruins the other frequencies as well. Perhaps through an amp, but the ATH-700 don't equalize well at all for me.

That is strange! Then respond to bass boost very well for me. I do know what distortion is. I have never been keen of some types of EQ. However, my FiiO E11 on bass boost 2 adds about 6db to the deep bass notes I think. I think it must me somewhere around 60 - 80hz. If you are listening to a good recording, they sound great with this bass added. The bass sounds like it is at a slightly more realistic level. You here and feel more of that low end rumble that these were missing before. Even when I turn them up pretty loud, I don't hear any distorting or crackling from the drivers. I do have an EQ on my computer and doing anything with the bass on that often does add distortion.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #794 of 827
That is strange! Then respond to bass boost very well for me. I do know what distortion is. I have never been keen of some types of EQ. However, my FiiO E11 on bass boost 2 adds about 6db to the deep bass notes I think. I think it must me somewhere around 60 - 80hz. If you are listening to a good recording, they sound great with this bass added. The bass sounds like it is at a slightly more realistic level. You here and feel more of that low end rumble that these were missing before. Even when I turn them up pretty loud, I don't hear any distorting or crackling from the drivers. I do have an EQ on my computer and doing anything with the bass on that often does add distortion.

Are you EQing up the bass or EQing down everything else? your fiio bass boost is a low pass filter which is a form of "pre-made" EQ. EQing everything else down will provide the exact same effect as your bass boost on the fiio, as long as your amp has enough power to compensate.

This issue I have with bass boosting the ad700 is that the bass isn't the best quality and it somewhat collapses the soundstage. It's not bad, but I have other headphones that have that sound that do it much better.
But EQ itself won't add distortion as long as you do it right. If you push the bass sliders up, you're simply going to clip the line level input to your headphone. It will be distorted but that has nothing to do with the headphone, it has to do with having pushed the line level itself into clipping.

Jan 9, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #795 of 827
Are you EQing up the bass or EQing down everything else? your fiio bass boost is a low pass filter which is a form of "pre-made" EQ. EQing everything else down will provide the exact same effect as your bass boost on the fiio, as long as your amp has enough power to compensate.

This issue I have with bass boosting the ad700 is that the bass isn't the best quality and it somewhat collapses the soundstage. It's not bad, but I have other headphones that have that sound that do it much better.
But EQ itself won't add distortion as long as you do it right. If you push the bass sliders up, you're simply going to clip the line level input to your headphone. It will be distorted but that has nothing to do with the headphone, it has to do with having pushed the line level itself into clipping.

My desktop EQ reduces everything but the bass. My E11 seems to boost it in a cleaner way.
My E11 in my opinion only messes up the sound of my AD700s if it is a poor recording. I normally listen to my E11 plugged into the line out of my E10. As the E10 is a DAC, the line out is already a pretty clean signal. Boosting the bass in my opinion hardly messes up the sound. However, If I plug my E11 directly into my cheap tablet, then the bass boost does tend to mess up the sound a little. It might just be that I like what the E11 does. It doesn't seem to just affect the bass, it makes the mid range sound a little warmer too. I wouldn't describe it as muddy. I find that the E10s bass boost just isn't as good as the E11. With my AD700s, it just doesn't sound as clean and it seems to mess the sound up more. I tend to use my E11 with my AD700s almost no matter what I plug them into as I find that the bass boost on that suits them best. Out of what I have anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back