The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Dec 1, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #811 of 827

It would be a disappointment if it did use the same pair and not a new and improved pair as I've heard that almost everything else about the X's are a downgrade to the original. People have said that the cable feels a lot worse and tangles easily and the build quality overall is a whole lot worse. I would really hope that the sound quality is better with a new and improved driver if they are a let down in so many other areas.

I see.  That's a shame.

Not to defend AT, but they could simply put the same drivers in an improved housing and the new headphone would be an upgrade over the old that way, too.  If they were to bother to do that.

In the early 2000s I was a huge audio technical fan. They could basically do no wrong to me. These days I couldn't be more disappointed in them. They seem content to ride the (completely unwarranted) success of the ATHM50x. They otherwise put out complete garbage or sort of mediocre stuff (the R70X is okay, but nothing special). The MSR7 is fine-ish if you like that signature. But they aren't close to the top in any category other than lifehacker recommendations (they seriously once called the M50 the best headphones in the world).

In addition to the M50(x), their AT2020 microphone, I suspect.  It is widely recommended by everyone and his grandmother just like M50x, but sanely within its price bracket ($100 and under), from what I've seen so far.  Also sells like hot cakes with weed in them, oh hoho.

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #812 of 827
I see.  That's a shame.

Not to defend AT, but they could simply put the same drivers in an improved housing and the new headphone would be an upgrade over the old that way, too.  If they were to bother to do that.

In addition to the M50(x), their AT2020 microphone, I suspect.  It is widely recommended by everyone and his grandmother just like M50x, but sanely within its price bracket ($100 and under), from what I've seen so far.  Also sells like hot cakes with weed in them, oh hoho.

Oh, this was strictly limited to headphones. I still like their microphones quite a bit. Especially their drub kit mics

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #813 of 827
It's funny because I rarely reach for my ATH-700 due to the lack of warmth in its sound signature, but I've realized how it's a comfortable headphone closer to a pillow than any I've tried. Once my ears adjust to the quality sound, the imaging is just spectacular. I'd be curious to see how these compare to the rest of the open-back headphones selling for many times the cost of the ATH-AD700.

The build of the headphones looks great, but has anyone figured out what possessed Audio Technica to make these purple? 
cool.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #814 of 827
Does anyone know what different ear pads you can buy for the ATH-AD700s? I find the originals irritating unless I cut out the material in the middle and put a loop of cable under them to stop my ears touching the driver cover. I've had them like this for a few years but I would be interested to know if there is another brand of ear pads that will fit these headphones that are much deeper to give your ears more room. I would like to avoid them changing the sound if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I recently started a thread elsewhere but it had had very few views so I may as well ask here too.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/830560/replacement-ear-pads-for-the-audio-technica-ath-ad700s

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #815 of 827
Different pads that don't change the sound? "Change" and "different pads" are mutually inclusive.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #816 of 827
Am I misunderstanding something? I've managed to completely avoid changing the sound by changing the shape of the original pads so I thought it may be possible to change get some new ear pads that are not like the originals that don't change the sound much. I just don't know what I could get.

On another thread, I saw the Hifiman VE Velour ear pads get mentioned as a possible replacement for the AD700X's. The problem is that the AD700s have angled drivers and they probably won't work with mine.

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #817 of 827
My headphone collection is growing too large, so I'm selling my ATH-AD700 so that a fellow Head-Fier can appreciate it! Mint condition, and apparently extremely rare:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/832106/audio-technica-ath-ad700-in-mint-condition

Feb 11, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #821 of 827
For the past few years, I've been using my AD700s with a modified pair of the original pads. I cut the material that covers the driver out because I can't stand that resting on my ears. I then put a loop of thick cable tied together with duct tape under them to prevent my ears touching anything. I used them like that for quite some time. But over that time, the ear pads have worn and the material that holds them on seems to have gone really sticky and horrible. Others have mentioned this and I don't know why it happens. It's not like that bit rests against your head. Anyway, I bought replacements from another brand that didn't work out very comfortable at all. I then went to a brand new pair of originals that I bought a few years back. Not new maybe then, but unused and purchased directly from Audio Technica. I also bought a pair of these a few months back too and put them on more recently when I put the original pads:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151786608265?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They may not be the originals, but they look any feel exactly the same. Anyway, I've been using them with the original pads and these for just a few weeks and the pads just seem to be driving me mad. My ears just seem to get hot and bothered. Every time there is a bass note, the material vibrates and my ears must just be really sensitive to this. I don't want to modify them again as I feel they may loose their value if I sell them. What I'm wanting to know is how much they could be worth if they both have virtually brand new ear pads and 3D wing support pads like mind do. They still sound excellent and the cable is also still in perfect condition. The only sign of damage is hardly visible. There is a slight dent on the right purple grill but you feel it more then see it. I'm just wondering if they could be worth any more now than when I bought them. I got them for £87 and when I look around, many are selling with well used pads for a fair bit more than that.

Anyway, I have ordered the AKG K702s because I have actually been looking into these for the past 3 years, but that has only been wishing I could get them. I remember looking just after I bought my AD700s and they cost well over £200. I've just got them for £115. I'm just hoping that the sound won't be too different. I'll have to wait a few days to fine out. I may well keep my AD700s as I may find them fine for occasional use and I certainly won't change my mind about how much I love their sound. But they've just been so difficult to where for long periods of time. It must just be because I was used to the modification I did. I am also wondering if their value may increase even more if I keep them for longer, but just don't use them much.

I'd much appreciate some advice on this. Like I said, I may not even end up selling them because I may really regret that I did! And I obviously don't even know if I'll be happy with the K702s yet.

Sep 12, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #822 of 827
Little review here since I revisited the forums to sell some stuff anyway. I picked up some ad700x's on the cheap for the purpose of a competitive gaming headphone and not caring about how they sound for music. Turns out, with some sonarworks EQ and analog bassboost from an iCan, they are absolutely outstanding with music, for any price!

Excellent soundstage and imaging (can you even do better here aside from hd800?), great clarity regardless of price, and very responsive to EQ. The bass is hard hitting (yes, hard hitting) after applying sonarworks + analog BB, and this is coming from someone whose primary headphones is a lawton modded thx00 PH. Sonarworks also helps reduce the 10k spike a bit.

If you haven't tried the ad700x's (or probably ad700s too?) with sonarworks and some form of good analog bass boost, do yourself a favor and try it. Use it with about 30 wet/dryness on the slider in sonarworks, which sounds most natural to me.

It doesn't dig as deep in the single digits hz as my thx00 or have quite as much clarity, but it's so comfortable and light with the best staging I've heard and has excellent balance and slam with the right EQ.

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #823 of 827
I still listen to my classic AD700 from 2011 sometimes. It will always have a special place in my heart. I just wish that Sonarworks had a calibration profile for the AD700(non-x). But I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to get an accurate sound profile of these headphones, with how weird their ear pads are. They are still bar none the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn..just weird.

Oct 18, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #824 of 827
Was my last post here really over 4 years ago? wow.

My main headphones since these have been the AKG K702, and now the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium. The K702s sounded more balanced and had more bass, but I didn't prefer them overall, as their build quality was awful. I ended up having faults with my first pair as well as both replacements. My DT880s are not perfect in every area regarding build, but I would say they are better built than the AD700s.

I've still had my AD700s and they are over 10 years old now, and still are in pretty good condition, perfect regarding sound. I seem to be able to tolerate the pads now for some reason. maybe because they are not my main pair of headphones.

Despite overall preferring the sound of my DT880s, there is something I still love about the AD700s and it is the treble. Lots of Beyerdynamic headphones have what many call the "beyer peak" which is often between 8 and 10 khz. I have to say that the treble can sound a bit unpleasant on the DT880s at times depending on the music. I ended up using different ear pads to reduce the harshness a bit.

What is odd is that I would say the AD700s seem to have even more treble, but it is more pleasant.

Does anyone have a graph of the ad700s frequency response measurements across the spectrum? It may make me understand why boosting treble on things doesn't always sound nice like the AD700s do, because it isn't at the same frequency.

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #825 of 827
Was my last post here really over 4 years ago? wow.

My main headphones since these have been the AKG K702, and now the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium. The K702s sounded more balanced and had more bass, but I didn't prefer them overall, as their build quality was awful. I ended up having faults with my first pair as well as both replacements. My DT880s are not perfect in every area regarding build, but I would say they are better built than the AD700s.

I've still had my AD700s and they are over 10 years old now, and still are in pretty good condition, perfect regarding sound. I seem to be able to tolerate the pads now for some reason. maybe because they are not my main pair of headphones.

Despite overall preferring the sound of my DT880s, there is something I still love about the AD700s and it is the treble. Lots of Beyerdynamic headphones have what many call the "beyer peak" which is often between 8 and 10 khz. I have to say that the treble can sound a bit unpleasant on the DT880s at times depending on the music. I ended up using different ear pads to reduce the harshness a bit.

What is odd is that I would say the AD700s seem to have even more treble, but it is more pleasant.

Does anyone have a graph of the ad700s frequency response measurements across the spectrum? It may make me understand why boosting treble on things doesn't always sound nice like the AD700s do, because it isn't at the same frequency.
Hello there,

The AD700 (and x) have its treble peak higher in the spectrum, closer to 10k.

This is the graph from an un-eq'd Ad700(x) frequency response in Sonarworks. They use a number of the same headphone and average the responses to get this:

1634597203807.png

You can see the spike occur near 9-10k, but at 8k and below it stays within a few db of neutral. I really like this 10k peak as it adds an edge of clarity around notes without being in the fatiguing presence range, where 6-8k creeps into for me.

Also, PS: The AD700 is still my favorite mid-fi/entry level phone, and it gets more head time than my expensive stuff simply because it doesn't overly resolve bad recordings, always sounds nice, has great air, is very responsive to EQ (particularly analog eq), and it's also very durable to occasional desk falls and I don't have to worry about the cost or availability of replacing it.

It definitely needs eq (both analog (loki/ican bb) and digital (sonarworks)) to get the best bass heft and slightly more lower mids warmth, but once you've done that, there is nothing I've tried under $500 that I'd rather use. Truly the most underappreciated phone in my opinion, whence given a bit of EQ.

Edit: Please note above chart is x version, although x and non x are very close and the concepts still apply. Here is another graph of the ad700 non-x charted a different way, and compared to an hd800. You can see the same 9-10k spike.

74d34b958509878e6643184ad0ba451014cdf528.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back