The Astell & Kern AK240
Jun 14, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #8,806 of 9,131
How is different between ak240SS, ak240gold edition or ak240 standard? or just only the colour, material or sound?
What about the Blue Note version?

Jun 14, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #8,807 of 9,131
The only "different" model is the stainless steel. The rest are the same. Read the 240 SS thread for differences with the duraluminum ones.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #8,809 of 9,131
The only "different" model is the stainless steel. The rest are the same. Read the 240 SS thread for differences with the duraluminum ones.
My Blue Note is SPECIAL...as in 75 albums in 24bit Hi-Res jazz music...the music is really good, btw...

:L3000::L3000:

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #8,810 of 9,131
Anyone else having trouble getting a mac with the latest OS to recognize the AK240 as a USB DAC? I can transfer files, but no luck playing music through it, even though the firmware on the AK is also up to date :frowning2:

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #8,811 of 9,131
Anyone else having trouble getting a mac with the latest OS to recognize the AK240 as a USB DAC? I can transfer files, but no luck playing music through it, even though the firmware on the AK is also up to date :frowning2:

I guess you're talking about High Sierra and not a beta of Mojave, if so, I just tried and didn't have any problems. I used it with Audirvana Plus (current) and also checked System Preferences, where it's an available output device. I would suggest checking the basics first, USB cable, system settings, Audio Midi setup, etc. and see if any of those are suspect. A faulty USB cable, had me stumped for about a year, until a fellow member suggested checking that (thanks again @jwbrent). Good Luck

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #8,812 of 9,131

I’m sure you changed the USB setting from MTP to DAC, but just checking. Open the Audio MIDI Setup application in your Utilities folder to see if the 240 is listed ... if not, try a different cable as @chawya22 suggested; if so, make sure you set the 240 as the default device. There is a small gear icon at the bottom of your device listings, and that is where you can change the preferences.

Good luck!

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #8,813 of 9,131
I guess you're talking about High Sierra and not a beta of Mojave, if so, I just tried and didn't have any problems. I used it with Audirvana Plus (current) and also checked System Preferences, where it's an available output device. I would suggest checking the basics first, USB cable, system settings, Audio Midi setup, etc. and see if any of those are suspect. A faulty USB cable, had me stumped for about a year, until a fellow member suggested checking that (thanks again @jwbrent). Good Luck

I’m sure you changed the USB setting from MTP to DAC, but just checking. Open the Audio MIDI Setup application in your Utilities folder to see if the 240 is listed ... if not, try a different cable as @chawya22 suggested; if so, make sure you set the 240 as the default device. There is a small gear icon at the bottom of your device listings, and that is where you can change the preferences.

Good luck!

You guys were both spot on. Once I was able to hunt down the stock cable and swap it in, works like charm. Thanks!!

Aug 4, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #8,814 of 9,131
I have a question for those who use the AK Connect function: has anyone found AK Connect 2.0 to be irregular in its operation?

Sometimes when I use the app on my iPad, it won’t connect at all to my 240SS, sometimes it connects but even when the Speaker is set to my SS, it plays through my iPad and not my SS/headphones. My WiFi signal is strong, so that can’t be the issue, and again, half the time AK Connect works as it is supposed to.

Very frustrating since I really like this functionality. I can go back to using AK Connect HD, the old app, but 2.0 has way less clutter on it. I’m wondering if this might be an iOS issue or if the last AK240 update broke the app.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #8,815 of 9,131
I just had one of the most frightening experiences ever, with my 240. It's been very hot here, on the east coast. I was streaming Dream Theatre's 'The Astonishing' from Tidal (34 tracks) and after an hour or so, the 240 shutdown. When I touched the player, it was uncomfortably hot. I put it aside, for awhile and when I came back, the player was literally, too hot to hold. The heat was so intense that the the carbon fiber, started to lift from the back of the player. Panic mode set in and all I saw were $ signs, for a huge repair bill. I thought maybe the battery failed/expanded and that caused the back plate to separate. Since I felt, I could do no additional harm, I put it in the refrigerator for about a half hour. When I checked it, the temperature had dropped significantly but it still wouldn't power up. I plugged it in and I got the charge indicator and then was able to power it up. I figured the 240 and me both, had enough excitement for the night so, I didn't continue charging (I'll do that tomorrow). I don't know if it was, the 240's age (2014 early production model), the heat or it just doesn't like Dream Theatre but at least, so far, a happy ending.

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #8,816 of 9,131
I just had one of the most frightening experiences ever, with my 240. It's been very hot here, on the east coast. I was streaming Dream Theatre's 'The Astonishing' from Tidal (34 tracks) and after an hour or so, the 240 shutdown. When I touched the player, it was uncomfortably hot. I put it aside, for awhile and when I came back, the player was literally, too hot to hold. The heat was so intense that the the carbon fiber, started to lift from the back of the player. Panic mode set in and all I saw were $ signs, for a huge repair bill. I thought maybe the battery failed/expanded and that caused the back plate to separate. Since I felt, I could do no additional harm, I put it in the refrigerator for about a half hour. When I checked it, the temperature had dropped significantly but it still wouldn't power up. I plugged it in and I got the charge indicator and then was able to power it up. I figured the 240 and me both, had enough excitement for the night so, I didn't continue charging (I'll do that tomorrow). I don't know if it was, the 240's age (2014 early production model), the heat or it just doesn't like Dream Theatre but at least, so far, a happy ending.

My guess is the heat. Especially if the Tidal tracks were hi res. I’m sure there is a sensor that shuts down the 240 if it gets too hot. My original 240 got too hot to the touch, although this happened primarily with DSD files. My SS, too. Should be okay.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #8,817 of 9,131
My guess is the heat. Especially if the Tidal tracks were hi res. I’m sure there is a sensor that shuts down the 240 if it gets too hot. My original 240 got too hot to the touch, although this happened primarily with DSD files. My SS, too. Should be okay.

One thing I learned from this experience is, the supplied leather case is probably not the best idea, when the weather is hot or the player is going to be in a confined space. There's no way for the heat to dissipate. My 240 was always in the case. I wouldn't wear a leather coat, in 90 degree plus weather.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #8,818 of 9,131
One thing I learned from this experience is, the supplied leather case is probably not the best idea, when the weather is hot or the player is going to be in a confined space. There's no way for the heat to dissipate. My 240 was always in the case. I wouldn't wear a leather coat, in 90 degree plus weather.

You are absolutely right on that point.

By the way, the rear panel of the standard 240 is plastic, so that may possibly explain what you noticed with the carbon fiber. One of the reasons I bought an SS when they first came out—and sold my aluminum 240–was the glass panel. My aluminum 240’s rear panel developed scratches from me not using the case.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #8,819 of 9,131
I'm starting to think the 240 has reached EOL (End of Life) and I think the battery is the suspect. Early this morning I turned it on and all was well. I even did a settings reset, just for good measure. It played music and acted completely normal. I decided to charge the battery, which was about 50% and checked it occasionally. Eventually the 240 became unresponsive, when I pressed the power button, to check the charging progress and I noticed the heat was beginning to build again. I unplugged it and the heat continued to build to the point, I couldn't touch it or hold it and the heat continued to ramp up. It's now at the point where I don't fear for it but I'm in fear of it. We've all heard the stories of Lithium Ion batteries catching on fire and the heat is reaching that point. I have no idea what damage is being done internally. I purchased it on 3/11/14, directly from Astell&Kern and I guess I'm one of the early adopters so, I hope my problem is unique and not a built-in flaw. I going to reach out to Jimmy Moon (if he still works there) and see what his opinion is. I hope I don't have a $2500 brick.

Aug 11, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #8,820 of 9,131
You have me worried. If time is running on and if this is a typical end of life pattern, we all have a frightening experience to look forward to. Up to now, my AK240 only gets warm when playing higher-density files, and never alarmingly hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back