The Astell & Kern AK240
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #8,656 of 9,131
I have a few DAPs of which the AK240 is one. I've decided that I am going to live with theses for many years. Unfortunately, my 50something ears couldn't tell the difference between an AK240 and the next generation greatest shining bauble thingy so there isn't any reason to upgrade. Probably why I still have my ancient iPhone6. It does the job and does it well.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #8,657 of 9,131
Well, for one, the DAP is a few years old, so interest is bound to wane.

Nevertheless, I do agree with you - the AK240 is still a great player. I sold mine a couple of weeks ago, but I'm already missing it. Oh, well.

Sounds like an SP1000 is in order. :wink:

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #8,658 of 9,131
I have a few DAPs of which the AK240 is one. I've decided that I am going to live with theses for many years. Unfortunately, my 50something ears couldn't tell the difference between an AK240 and the next generation greatest shining bauble thingy so there isn't any reason to upgrade. Probably why I still have my ancient iPhone6. It does the job and does it well.

I think you've reached that stage in life where you're happy with what you already have, no longer on that consumerism treadmill that drives upgrades when we're younger. I'm witnessing my own growth in this area ... and it is a good thing.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #8,659 of 9,131
hello
do you think the ak240 is actually , an upgrade to the Onkyo DP X1A ?

Does the ak240 read 56go sd card ? ( i know it's 1st programmed for 128 gp but i read you can also use 200go card ( so who knows , maybe the 256 will fit )

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #8,660 of 9,131
I think you've reached that stage in life where you're happy with what you already have, no longer on that consumerism treadmill that drives upgrades when we're younger. I'm witnessing my own growth in this area ... and it is a good thing.

Especially on our pocketbooks. :L3000:

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #8,661 of 9,131
I've had mine for nearly three years now. Decided to get the RWAK mod not long after buying it, and have had no desire to purchase a new DAP. The nice thing about the 240, like other past and current TOTL DAPs, is that you can continue changing the sound down the road with portable DACs and amps. Sometimes I just want easy so it's only the 240; other times I want a different sound, so I lump on a Mojo. And if Cavalli will ever get their sh!t together and release their portable, I'll have more configurations to play with. I haven't felt compelled to spend much time with other DAPs because this one is really doing it for me. Is there much more bloviating we can muster about it? Meh, not really imho.

Now it might be time to start learning about battery life and replacement. Not mine, but I imagine a few of the early 240 buyers still using them may be seeing battery degradation. I haven't looked into battery replacement yet but maybe that's something to bring up here.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #8,662 of 9,131
Sounds like an SP1000 is in order. :wink:
Yeah, I've actually purchased the SP1000. :skull: My wife wouldn't let me hoard any more DAPs, so I had to let one go. I'm actually missing the AK240 a lot, to be honest. It has served me well for the better part of the last 2 years or so.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #8,663 of 9,131
hello
do you think the ak240 is actually , an upgrade to the Onkyo DP X1A ?

Does the ak240 read 56go sd card ? ( i know it's 1st programmed for 128 gp but i read you can also use 200go card ( so who knows , maybe the 256 will fit )
Seeing as the DP-X1A's sound is pretty much the same as the DP-X1, I'd say.... not really. The AK240 on single-ended output is superior to the DP-X1 in almost every facet. I haven't actually tried the DP-X1 with balanced out, but I'm not really impressed with it, to be honest. The AK240 is definitely the more resolving player of the 2.

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #8,664 of 9,131
For those who use AK Connect, there's a new Version 2.0 app.

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #8,666 of 9,131
Seems to work less well than previous
Fortunately it does not overwrite previous version

The iPad version works fine for me with the latest iOS. The iPhone version (same iOS) is sluggish, and cannot connect to my AK240SS. Since I'm using an iPhone 5s, perhaps that is the issue--I noticed it took forever to retrieve my library from my 5s (2,500 songs). Or perhaps the new 2.0 app which is a completely separate app from the older version is optimized for the iPad and a future update will be better for iPhones.

The 2.0 app has a cleaner UI, but that comes at the expense of no vtuner or deezer capability. Also, the older app listed how many albums and songs in total one has on their A&K device; the 2.0 app does not offer this information.

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #8,667 of 9,131
The iPad version works fine for me with the latest iOS. The iPhone version (same iOS) is sluggish, and cannot connect to my AK240SS. Since I'm using an iPhone 5s, perhaps that is the issue--I noticed it took forever to retrieve my library from my 5s (2,500 songs). Or perhaps the new 2.0 app which is a completely separate app from the older version is optimized for the iPad and a future update will be better for iPhones.

The 2.0 app has a cleaner UI, but that comes at the expense of no vtuner or deezer capability. Also, the older app listed how many albums and songs in total one has on their A&K device; the 2.0 app does not offer this information.

After reading my post, I realized I made it sound like the 2.0 app comes as separate iPhone and iPad apps like the original. The 2.0 app is universal.

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #8,669 of 9,131
In addition the new version only sees the Astel & Kern server not other Dlna servers
It may be called 2.0 but functionally it's an inferior software to the first version

Ah, that explains why I wasn't able to get other DNLA servers to work on my MacBook so I could stream my iTunes library to the AK Connect 2.0 app.

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #8,670 of 9,131
Seeing as the DP-X1A's sound is pretty much the same as the DP-X1, I'd say.... not really. The AK240 on single-ended output is superior to the DP-X1 in almost every facet. I haven't actually tried the DP-X1 with balanced out, but I'm not really impressed with it, to be honest. The AK240 is definitely the more resolving player of the 2.

thanks for your answer !

any idea for the sd card ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back