The Astell & Kern AK240
Nov 17, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #7,951 of 9,131
OK, just checking how everybody likes v1.28 ...

Nov 17, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #7,952 of 9,131

That's not normal. There's been a lot of criticism about the AK240, but IEM noise is not one them. I would take that back to the store or contact AK support for warranty repair. Everything I've had from SE846 through T5P have been silent unless the track itself has noise.

same here.

If you bought it used have a heart to heart with the seller and if new exchange.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #7,953 of 9,131
Do you guys know if the ak240 have a song count limit?

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #7,955 of 9,131

I have about 11,500 songs between internal and a microSD, so if there is a limit, I haven't reached it yet.

Really helpful information. I was gonna forego the AK240 to get the AK Titan(2x microSD + 128gb internal) but I was turned off when they said 10,000 song limit... I don't really have anything hi-rez but I do want something that can carry all of the music I have.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #7,956 of 9,131
Really helpful information. I was gonna forego the AK240 to get the AK Titan(2x microSD + 128gb internal) but I was turned off when they said 10,000 song limit... I don't really have anything hi-rez but I do want something that can carry all of the music I have.

You can access the entire contents of a card in folder view on the original series AKs, there's just a song limit for how many it can compile in the library view. Still not ideal, of course, but at least it means you can still carry and play all of your music.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #7,957 of 9,131

That's not normal. There's been a lot of criticism about the AK240, but IEM noise is not one them. I would take that back to the store or contact AK support for warranty repair. Everything I've had from SE846 through T5P have been silent unless the track itself has noise.

Good to know.  Upon further testing, I realized that the hiss is only in the right channel.  I tried several different headphones, so it's definitely an issue with the AK240.

B&H Photo are exchanging the unit from me, but this is not a reassuring sign of quality control from A&K...

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #7,958 of 9,131
Has anyone heard the 240 vs 380. I fyes, what are the sonic differences and is it worth the upgrade? 

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #7,959 of 9,131
  Has anyone heard the 240 vs 380. I fyes, what are the sonic differences and is it worth the upgrade? 

Sorry for the long post!

I compared the two with my own music tracks and back when I had the K10s in balanced mode. However, my comparison was with my RWAK and not stock 240. I also compared to 240SS.

Going from stock AK240 to stock AK380 is a an upgrade in all aspects. However, if you already have an AK240, it's tough to sell and upgrade since you are looking at a net loss of about $2000. My personal opinion is upgrade in the following order:

1. I don't know what IEM you use, but that's still the best upgrade per dollar.
  2. The AK240 DAC is pretty good. I've hooked up to many portable and desktop amps and it does scale well. If you can carry around a stack, I would add a portable amp to your existing AK240.
  3. If you don't want to carry a stack, then consider RWAK upgrade like I did.
  4. AK240SS if you can upgrade at a good price. Virtually identical to RWAK imho, but I find RWAK with a little more bass presence for IEMs.
  5. Lastly, if you have the money and means, AK380 is a fine upgrade. I have not tried the amp module, but most AK380 owners recommend it.

Net improvement for all of the above is 5-10% imho. AK240 is a fine DAP on it's own and I suspect a lot of critics have never listened to one with an equally good IEM pairing. If you want that extra 5-10% at this level of performance it will cost you dearly, especially in the portable space.

As you can see below I have my RWAK for sale in classified not because I'm unhappy with it, but I've come to realize that I can't have it all. That is, I don't believe there will ever be an all in one DAP that can rival a portable stack consisting of a separate DAC and AMP. I am of the belief that it's best to keep digital and analog separate and allows for tuning of SQ that fits each individuals preferences. My iPhone is always with me so it does fine as a transport with the added feature of hi res streaming. Upgrading components is a lot cheaper than upgrading an entire DAP. I can see DAC technology changing a lot in the next few years so it's pretty expensive to upgrade a $3500 DAP just because you want the newer model with a better DAC.

Having said that, I am still amazed at how good of a sound I get when I use line out from my RWAK to my MJ2 tube amp. My soon to be portable stack will be one of the following:

1. RWAK240 plus Vorzüge II+, iPhone still in my pocket
  2. Chord Mojo plus iPhone
  3. Vorzüge II+ plus Mojo plus iPhone
  4. ALO CDM plus iPhone

As you can see there is only one scenario where it makes sense to keep my RWAK so I am hoping someone with high portable needs buys it so I eliminate one option LOL. The irony is, had I kept my K10s, I would be fine with just the RWAK, but my upgrade to Laylas have me upgrading my sources again! It all comes down to how much you value portability to performance. For me, I will not buy expensive all in one DAP in the foreseeable future. AK240 was a good learning lesson.

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #7,960 of 9,131
  Sorry for the long post!

I compared the two with my own music tracks and back when I had the K10s in balanced mode. However, my comparison was with my RWAK and not stock 240. I also compared to 240SS.

Going from stock AK240 to stock AK380 is a an upgrade in all aspects. However, if you already have an AK240, it's tough to sell and upgrade since you are looking at a net loss of about $2000. My personal opinion is upgrade in the following order:

1. I don't know what IEM you use, but that's still the best upgrade per dollar.
  2. The AK240 DAC is pretty good. I've hooked up to many portable and desktop amps and it does scale well. If you can carry around a stack, I would add a portable amp to your existing AK240.
  3. If you don't want to carry a stack, then consider RWAK upgrade like I did.
  4. AK240SS if you can upgrade at a good price. Virtually identical to RWAK imho, but I find RWAK with a little more bass presence for IEMs.
  5. Lastly, if you have the money and means, AK380 is a fine upgrade. I have not tried the amp module, but most AK380 owners recommend it.

Net improvement for all of the above is 5-10% imho. AK240 is a fine DAP on it's own and I suspect a lot of critics have never listened to one with an equally good IEM pairing. If you want that extra 5-10% at this level of performance it will cost you dearly, especially in the portable space.

As you can see below I have my RWAK for sale in classified not because I'm unhappy with it, but I've come to realize that I can't have it all. That is, I don't believe there will ever be an all in one DAP that can rival a portable stack consisting of a separate DAC and AMP. I am of the belief that it's best to keep digital and analog separate and allows for tuning of SQ that fits each individuals preferences. My iPhone is always with me so it does fine as a transport with the added feature of hi res streaming. Upgrading components is a lot cheaper than upgrading an entire DAP. I can see DAC technology changing a lot in the next few years so it's pretty expensive to upgrade a $3500 DAP just because you want the newer model with a better DAC.

Having said that, I am still amazed at how good of a sound I get when I use line out from my RWAK to my MJ2 tube amp. My soon to be portable stack will be one of the following:

1. RWAK240 plus Vorzüge II+, iPhone still in my pocket
  2. Chord Mojo plus iPhone
  3. Vorzüge II+ plus Mojo plus iPhone
  4. ALO CDM plus iPhone

As you can see there is only one scenario where it makes sense to keep my RWAK so I am hoping someone with high portable needs buys it so I eliminate one option LOL. The irony is, had I kept my K10s, I would be fine with just the RWAK, but my upgrade to Laylas have me upgrading my sources again! It all comes down to how much you value portability to performance. For me, I will not buy expensive all in one DAP in the foreseeable future. AK240 was a good learning lesson.

It seems that cheaper option is to buy better headphones (+better pairing ones) staying with the same DAP. Following the brand is not always a good choice. As an example I can put Lime Ears and their new flagship Aether. Many people in Poland (outside as well) compared them to K10s and Layla and for smaller price you get better sounding CIEMs! :) 

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #7,961 of 9,131
Sorry for the long post!

• I don't know what IEM you use, but that's still the best upgrade per dollar.
  • The AK240 DAC is pretty good. I've hooked up to many portable and desktop amps and it does scale well. If you can carry around a stack, I would add a portable amp to your existing AK240.
  • If you don't want to carry a stack, then consider RWAK upgrade like I did.
  • AK240SS if you can upgrade at a good price. Virtually identical to RWAK imho, but I find RWAK with a little more bass presence for IEMs.
  • Lastly, if you have the money and means, AK380 is a fine upgrade. I have not tried the amp module, but most AK380 owners recommend it.

• RWAK240 plus Vorzüge II+, iPhone still in my pocket
  • Chord Mojo plus iPhone
  • Vorzüge II+ plus Mojo plus iPhone
  • ALO CDM plus iPhone

Thank you for this. Gives me some options to think about.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #7,962 of 9,131
Hi,
Many thanks for your post this was very interesting. I personally value more convenience than pure sound as I commute a lot, which is why I purchased one year ago an AK240 to go with fitear 334 to go. I previously used an IBASSO DX100, but it was heavier, interface was crap and battery lasted one hour only. I have been very satisfied with the AK240, until now :)
If I wanted to increase the sound quality, what would you recommend ? send it to redwine to get the RWAK240 modification or plug it to an external amp (e.g. chord Hugo) ? My preference would be to go with the RWAK as I would not need to use a stack (I could but this would be less convenient). I have ordered Noble Kaiser 10 to go with it (I love my fitear, but I wanted to go custom and that was not an option with fitear, unfortunately).
As you tested AK240 and RWAK240, I would be happy to get your opinion !
Many thanks !

Erik

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #7,963 of 9,131
  Hi,
Many thanks for your post this was very interesting. I personally value more convenience than pure sound as I commute a lot, which is why I purchased one year ago an AK240 to go with fitear 334 to go. I previously used an IBASSO DX100, but it was heavier, interface was crap and battery lasted one hour only. I have been very satisfied with the AK240, until now :)
If I wanted to increase the sound quality, what would you recommend ? send it to redwine to get the RWAK240 modification or plug it to an external amp (e.g. chord Hugo) ? My preference would be to go with the RWAK as I would not need to use a stack (I could but this would be less convenient). I have ordered Noble Kaiser 10 to go with it (I love my fitear, but I wanted to go custom and that was not an option with fitear, unfortunately).
As you tested AK240 and RWAK240, I would be happy to get your opinion !
Many thanks !

Erik

It would be best to go to a local meet or CanJam type event to try this out. Really up to you on how much you value portability. The RWAK mod description on the website is pretty accurate and Vinnie is one of the best at customer service and response. If you need to carry the AK240 in your pant pocket, then RWAK is really your only choice.

If you can carry a stack, then that opens up all of the options I list above. Most compelling is your phone and Mojo stack and Mojo only costs $600. Once I get all my components in, I will report back on what I decided to do. I will probably take a couple weeks.

Good luck and you can always PM me for any specifics.

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #7,964 of 9,131
Just noticed that Amazon has the Sandisk 200GB microSD for $134.99 ...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back