The Astell & Kern AK240
May 1, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #7,201 of 9,131
the ifi dsd to me might have been the few things i bought that i can only say about it that its so so so great even when i had the hugo i felt i liked the ifi dsd more than hugo and so i sold my hugo

The lack of capitalization and punctuation is killing me. It's painful to read your post. NOT content wise, just visually. Would you mind putting in the effort of hitting the shift key every now and then and throw in a dot or comma when needed. It makes it easier for me to read and to understand what you are saying. Especially since for many English is not our first language.

Cheers,
K

May 1, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #7,202 of 9,131
The lack of capitalization and punctuation is killing me. It's painful to read your post. NOT content wise, just visually. Would you mind putting in the effort of hitting the shift key every now and then and throw in a dot or comma when needed. It makes it easier for me to read and to understand what you are saying. Especially since for many English is not our first language.

Cheers,
K

hhahahahha

ok simply put, i owned both, the hugo and ifi dsd and with all honesty I loved the ifi dsd sound much more.

I know people maybe will disagree, as remember there are hugo fan boys out there, but in direct comparisons, I found the sound quality coming from the ifi so amazing especially at its price

The hugo is amazing too, but to me I could not justify its price after I got the ifi dsd, that is why I sold the hugo

The ifi offers also endless options with xbass and 3d, and different settings, and I find it fun at times to experiment with those settings

Just get the ifi dsd believe me you will love it. I am a critical person and barely say positive things about a product but this ifi is amazing

May 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #7,203 of 9,131
Thanks for the input guys. So in comparison the ak240 USB DAC is quite bad?

May 1, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #7,204 of 9,131
Thanks for the input guys. So in comparison the ak240 USB DAC is quite bad?

No, I think the previous comment was more of an indication of the comparison with ifi and Hugo. I don't know how one would extrapolate that to AK240 since each features vastly different electronics. Lastly, all the comparisons have said "preference" and "price-performance". Nobody has said that any of the DACs in question were "quite bad". I don't think you will get any answers to a broad questions like that. You will get more definitive answers if you describe what you are looking for and what components you intend to use. For example, I would be happy to share everything I know about SE846 or T5P with AK240 or Teac UD-301 DACs. I like warm vocals and treble that is only as high as it needs to be for definition and no more. More transparency than brightness. On my SE846, the AK240 DAC is more warm than the Teac. On my T5P, I can't tell the difference between the two, and both sound pretty thin which is making me think of getting new full size cans.

having said that, if you have the financial means to buy an AK240 and want to buy a DAC that not many would question, then buy a Schiit Yggdrasil and be happy.

May 1, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #7,205 of 9,131
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a 2.5 trrs female to 3.5 trs male stereo adapter. I bought a cheap one from Amazon and only one side has sound. I was told it was because the adapter I bought was mono. I need stereo adapter.

If anyone here knows about some working adapter, please let me know. I don't expect too pricey adapters by the way :D

Or it will be helpful if anyone would like to sell their adapter to me. Thanks!

May 1, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #7,207 of 9,131
No, I think the previous comment was more of an indication of the comparison with ifi and Hugo. I don't know how one would extrapolate that to AK240 since each features vastly different electronics. Lastly, all the comparisons have said "preference" and "price-performance". Nobody has said that any of the DACs in question were "quite bad". I don't think you will get any answers to a broad questions like that. You will get more definitive answers if you describe what you are looking for and what components you intend to use. For example, I would be happy to share everything I know about SE846 or T5P with AK240 or Teac UD-301 DACs. I like warm vocals and treble that is only as high as it needs to be for definition and no more. More transparency than brightness. On my SE846, the AK240 DAC is more warm than the Teac. On my T5P, I can't tell the difference between the two, and both sound pretty thin which is making me think of getting new full size cans.

having said that, if you have the financial means to buy an AK240 and want to buy a DAC that not many would question, then buy a Schiit Yggdrasil and be happy.

Sorry for the confusion. I am currently using the ak240 as a dap with SE846 as well. I enjoy it very much as a dap. But when I use it as a USB dac with the same iem and listen to the same song, the sound isn't as good. My question is whether the sound will improve much if I simply replace the usb dac with a idsd micro keeping everything else the same. Cheers

May 1, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #7,208 of 9,131
Sorry for the confusion. I am currently using the ak240 as a dap with SE846 as well. I enjoy it very much as a dap. But when I use it as a USB dac with the same iem and listen to the same song, the sound isn't as good. My question is whether the sound will improve much if I simply replace the usb dac with a idsd micro keeping everything else the same. Cheers

That is an entirely different problem and buying a new DAC is not going to solve it. There should be no difference in sound since you are transferring music in it's digital form. However, not all medial players are equal on a PC/Mac. iTunes is pretty bad actually so if you are not using a real "true bit" type player such as Bit Perfect, Fidelia or Audirvana, then that is most likely your problem. I use Fidelia myself.

May 2, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #7,209 of 9,131
That is an entirely different problem and buying a new DAC is not going to solve it. There should be no difference in sound since you are transferring music in it's digital form. However, not all medial players are equal on a PC/Mac. iTunes is pretty bad actually so if you are not using a real "true bit" type player such as Bit Perfect, Fidelia or Audirvana, then that is most likely your problem. I use Fidelia myself.

I would think that a "proper" DAC will have better implemented USB input circuits to deal with noisy signal coming from the PC. Since ak240 is mainly a DAP, the USB input might not be well implemented, just my guess.
Having said that, I have tried the blue dragon USB cable from Moonaudio, the SQ improves a bit. I use mediamonkey btw, will try Bit Perfect. Thanks

May 4, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #7,210 of 9,131
same issue on rwak240 but i still like it like in DAC mode. Looks like its amp still working so u have 2 amps  from 1 from ur pc and 1 from and its not good thats why u hear difference.

SQ depends from many things cable, software, usb hardware. I don't like stock cable from AK after tomorrow i will receive cinnamon from audio quest.

try to change players and turn off volume change availability.

May 4, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #7,211 of 9,131
Giving this thread a days notice, I'll be listing my AK240 for sale tomorrow on the forum. It'll be the lowest I've seen on the forum. If you're interested, pm me. Just trying to pay it forward to the thread that helped me out. 

Loved the AK240, but it doesn't fit my active lifestyle. I don't want to bang up the beauty and in result, it doesn't get used. 

May 4, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #7,213 of 9,131
Best of luck with your sale. What dap are you going to use? I'm very active as well, just curious if you found an adequate replacement for your lifestyle.

Depends on what activity. I'm thinking of picking up a x3 gen 2 and can keep that in a pocket as I trail run/speed hike. Not too afraid to get that thing thrown around in my pocket. I'm thinking of picking up a mini player (don't know what one) for rock climbing. Just something to clip on a shirt and go. 

I felt like I could never have the 240 in my pocket. I always had to have it on the desk/table when I had it on me due to the worry of it getting banged. It was more of a conversation starter than a music player for me. :/ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back