The Astell & Kern AK240
Apr 13, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #7,126 of 9,131

If you buy from Crutchfield, they will give you expert advice so just get one of their technicians on the line or chat to make sure you get the setup that works best for you.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #7,127 of 9,131

Just today I dropped my AK240 in the mail to Vinnie for the RWAK240+ mod.  It's strange to drop something that pricey in the mail and send it off.  He's great with communication, though and with a turnaround time of about two weeks, I'm already excited to see what the sound improvements will be when I introduce it back into my rig.  I opted for the SE line-out.  

Winnie returns it in a non-descriptive package that is secure but understated. Doesn't draw attention.

I'm not using in a desktop headphone system but trying in my home hifi BAT/YBA/Wilson setup.  I find the RWAK240+ balance line-out has much more detail but is also harsher. Need to adjust the rest of the system to tune the sound but anything that can extract more detail is always good! Perhaps with cables but the 2.5mm AK system makes most cables custom and costly.

One thing it's not designed for is to attach headphone directly to the new line out. Volume can still be controlled from rotary switch. Interesting and amazing results... :)

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #7,128 of 9,131

Yes, but only if you are willing to customize the AK240 Android OS. I've looked around the XDA Developers forums and no one has rooted and customized the AK version of Android. I highly doubt we will get a developer interested in this given the minuscule size of the user base compared to any Android phone. Best bet is just keep asking AK for better designs or ask AK to release their source code.

AK was removed from public access and update the firmware, referring to the protection of intellectual property!

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #7,129 of 9,131
Do you plan on using it in your home rig or portable setup? Which amps?

Yes.  

Pocket rig:  RWAK240+ > Clear Tune Monitors CTM 500 Elite

Transportable rig:  RWAK240+ > ALO International > Alpha Prime or CTM 500 Elites

Desktop rig:  RWAK240+ or MBP+Audirvana > Bifrost Uber > Lyr2 > Alpha Prime

Cabling is all Double Helix, and interconnects are a mix of Double Helix and Moon Audio Silver Dragon and Blue Dragon.  

There's a Wyrd and Rega P3 in there somewhere, too :wink:

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #7,130 of 9,131
I just sent money to a member and will have my own ak240 in a few days.  I have the Massdrop AKG k553's in the mail as well... Looks like I'll need a a nicer pair of HP's and IEM's to suit my new player.  :)

Coming from an OLD ipod touch with basic buds (HD555's are in need of a plug repair). Pretty excited!

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #7,132 of 9,131
i just bought a rwak240+ which will arrive soon to me, currently I have a shure 846

can someone recommend a universal iem that is best with rwak240+ that is

1- very warm
2- great deep bass
3- no harsh sound
4- layered rich sound 

i am not interested in custom iem

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #7,133 of 9,131
shure 846 sounds fabulous with my 240!

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #7,134 of 9,131
846 was nice. Asg g2 is incredible bass wise, rha t10 I really enjoy, and Ref 1. All stock AK240. I'd grab g2 used they have incredible bass. T10s are awesome but lots of mixed reviews. I really enjoy them

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #7,135 of 9,131
846 was nice. Asg g2 is incredible bass wise, rha t10 I really enjoy, and Ref 1. All stock AK240. I'd grab g2 used they have incredible bass. T10s are awesome but lots of mixed reviews. I really enjoy them

its not only the bass but warmth too, shure is great but sometimes maybe i feel it harsh

i want rich warm non fatiguing iems

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #7,137 of 9,131
If anyone is looking for a great deal on a new AK240, grab this off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AK240-ExtremeAudio-Connection/dp/B00K3SXRNG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429051801&sr=8-2&keywords=astell+ak240

I paid the same for mine a month ago, but it did not come with the dock and now it does. I've also seen the price fluctuate quite a bit since I purchased. Stainless with same bundle is $3000.

And no, I'm not Jeff Bezos.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #7,138 of 9,131
  If anyone is looking for a great deal on a new AK240, grab this off Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Astell-Kern-AK240-ExtremeAudio-Connection/dp/B00K3SXRNG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429051801&sr=8-2&keywords=astell+ak240

I paid the same for mine a month ago, but it did not come with the dock and now it does. I've also seen the price fluctuate quite a bit since I purchased. Stainless with same bundle is $3000.

And no, I'm not Jeff Bezos.

Yes it's a great deal.  But just be aware that the ad doesn't say it's new or anything about condition -- which is a bit strange -- and it doesn't come with a manufacturers warranty.  They really should say whether it is or isn't new.  In the absence of such info, it's likely that it's a demo or previously owned, or refurbished.  Something to clarify with the seller if you want to.  Doesn't mean that it's not a good deal though.  The seller appears to be very reputable and I'd probably buy it if I didn't already have one.

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #7,139 of 9,131
Yes it's a great deal.  But just be aware that the ad doesn't say it's new or anything about condition -- which is a bit strange -- and it doesn't come with a manufacturers warranty.  They really should say whether it is or isn't new.  In the absence of such info, it's likely that it's a demo or previously owned, or refurbished.  Something to clarify with the seller if you want to.  Doesn't mean that it's not a good deal though.  The seller appears to be very reputable and I'd probably buy it if I didn't already have one.

I bought from the same seller and it is new and comes with warranty. They do sell open box returns but under the Used section. A lot of the stuff you read in the Q A section are from Amazon users and not the vendor. I was confused too until I contacted them directly. Plus Amazon guarantees as well. In fact I paid for the 2 day shipping since it was the highest option and asked if I could pay extra for overnight and they upgraded me to overnight at no extra charge. My only regret is they had the SS version bundle for $2799 and I though too long about it and by the time I decided to go for it, it went back up to $3000.

My advice for those looking for new is to monitor the Amazon prices daily as they seem to fluctuate on these bundles by a lot.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #7,140 of 9,131
I just got my AK240 in, I can't say how amazing it is, audio wise until I use something else other than the buds that come with Samsung phones :p I have about 800 credit with Amazon, I might have to splurge on some HP's as I decide on what CIEM's to get. 

Loving the UI so far, just displeased about not being able to add other apps (which I knew). Hopefully someone makes a custom firmware for this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back