The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 27, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #7,008 of 9,131
UPS arrived at 6:30PM finally. Right now I'm copying over about 150 GB of music files and it's going slow given USB 2.0 speed. Looks like it will be more than 3 hours. Using Mac OSX Yosemite and Android Xfer and going just fine. I see the playlist folder so that will be easy to export my iTunes playlist to standard .m3u format.

Nothing to add to the SQ that's been covered many times over but I don't know if I've ever experienced the sensation like I just went through. I've seen the photos and videos of AK240 but holding it simply can't be described. I have to admit, it looks pretty ugly in 2D but somehow it just makes complete sense in hand. Thank goodness I'm right handed lol.

I got an olive green case, but like it. Not sure if that's standard or not since I was expecting black. BTW Doubletwist for Mac doesn't seem to work which is a real bummer. Would have made iTunes syncing so much easier. If anyone figured out a way please let me know.

Will report back once everything is done. I may have some tips on keeping songs sync'd with iTunes.

My workflow is pretty easy now:
1) I use iTunes to manage my entire library and default everything to ALAC
2) When i add new music, I just manually copy to AK240 via Android File Transfer
3) I manage all my playlists in iTunes because I've got other devices and home server I need to manage.
4) I use a free playlist export tool which is linked below. Just leave the path empty and drop the .m3u files into the top level folder on the AK240.

The only limitation is that I am unable to manage playlists across internal drive and SD card since they are two separate volumes. I'll figure it out when I go past 256 GB, but also may just keep DSD files in the SD card.

Playlist export tool - http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/

Last Update - now that the nightmare of getting my entire library loaded is done, I've gone back to Android File Transfer for incremental additions. Syncmate caused general system instability and the folder sync function did not work since files did not retain time stamps from Mac to AK240 so basically it would sync the whole library even after just adding one song. I put in for a refund. So step 2 above is simply going back to manual syncing which is not bad now that my whole library is finally loaded. Playlist export still works like a champ and takes me all of 2 min to sync.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #7,010 of 9,131
Tempted soon to pick one of these up do most folks chase the bundles? How essential is the dock etc? What is the most common IEM in use? Anybody tried Oppo PM-3 headphones?

The dock is not required as the AK240 uses a standard micro USB connector. But if you see a bundle where you essentially get it for free then go for it. It's a nice way to store and charge. As for IEM I'm going to guess JH sirens series for the AK balanced plug. Pretty good bundle on Amazon with the Roxannes. I use SE846 and pretty happy.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #7,011 of 9,131
Delicious couple.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #7,013 of 9,131
Mar 30, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #7,015 of 9,131
Mar 30, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #7,016 of 9,131
  It turns out that the weakest AK240SS link (the 2.5 mm balanced out) is a deal breaker for me. Even the Ted Allen cables cut out at times.  I was surprised that a product this expensive has such a crappy balanced output. It is getting sent back today.

I bought my AK240 about a year ago and wanted to try the balanced output. I tried cables from both Moon Audio and Whiplash which each demonstrated poor connection - mainly 'crackling' or even one channel dropping out. The debate on here about it raised doubts about the AK240 trrs socket and/or the quality of the trrs connectors. Not wanting to loose my AK240 for repair I ordered yet another set of cables - Double Helix cables terminated by an Eidolic 2.5mm trrs carbon/alloy jack plug. I have been using them for months without any problems whatever. My experience suggests that the problem lies with the quality of the 2.5mm trrs connectors and not the AK 2.5 balances socket. 

On another topic: Erratic volume control with the AK240.
I found that when I use the rotary volume control a problem developed where the volume could shoot up or down unpredictably whichever direction I moved the control  in and without any proportion to the size of the movement. The on screen control worked properly but only appeared after I'd risked my hearing by first touching the rotary control. My AK is an RWAK240+ so I was fortunate enough to be able to send it to Vinnie Rossi at Red Wine Audio for repair. He got it back to me having repaired it perfectly - the process from sending it in the UK to return was 10 days. Brilliant - thanks Vinnie. 

Finally, as a Meridian sooloos user now enjoying TIDAL through the Meridian system since the sooloos software has been updated to enable TIDAL streaming, I'm looking forward to AK making a similar update available to their users!

Best Wishes to All,

Sooloos

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #7,017 of 9,131

I bought my AK240 about a year ago and wanted to try the balanced output. I tried cables from both Moon Audio and Whiplash which each demonstrated poor connection - mainly 'crackling' or even one channel dropping out. The debate on here about it raised doubts about the AK240 trrs socket and/or the quality of the trrs connectors. Not wanting to loose my AK240 for repair I ordered yet another set of cables - Double Helix cables terminated by an Eidolic 2.5mm trrs carbon/alloy jack plug. I have been using them for months without any problems whatever. My experience suggests that the problem lies with the quality of the 2.5mm trrs connectors and not the AK 2.5 balances socket. 

On another topic: Erratic volume control with the AK240.
I found that when I use the rotary volume control a problem developed where the volume could shoot up or down unpredictably whichever direction I moved the control  in and without any proportion to the size of the movement. The on screen control worked properly but only appeared after I'd risked my hearing by first touching the rotary control. My AK is an RWAK240+ so I was fortunate enough to be able to send it to Vinnie Rossi at Red Wine Audio for repair. He got it back to me having repaired it perfectly - the process from sending it in the UK to return was 10 days. Brilliant - thanks Vinnie. 

Finally, as a Meridian sooloos user now enjoying TIDAL through the Meridian system since the sooloos software has been updated to enable TIDAL streaming, I'm looking forward to AK making a similar update available to their users!

Best Wishes to All,

Sooloos

did not expect at 2400 USD dap to have such a problem, thanks god i did not buy one

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #7,018 of 9,131
Perhaps I am fortunate but the 2 240's I have used havent had any of the problems mentioned!

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #7,020 of 9,131
  Perhaps I am fortunate but the 2 240's I have used havent had any of the problems mentioned!

On my new AK240, it came with 1.16 firmware installed so manufacture must be sometime between Oct 14 to Jan 15. So far so good on the 2 issues noted. I tried to replicate the volume problem very diligently since I did not want to potentially blow out my ear drums. I could not get volume to jump. Updated to 1.18 firmware last night and no far no issues either. Battery life seems better than I expected - 4 hours of red book ALAC and 1 hour of 24/96 ALAC still had 38% battery left. Screen was off most of the time and the only option I had enabled was EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back