The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 14, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #6,571 of 9,131
People have been using 128gb cards without issues - including myself.  Keep in mind that there are a lot of fake 128s out there.  Make sure u only buy those from reputable dealers.
i bought it from Amazon. And its capacity is truly 128G unlike the fake ones. My guess is either its formatting is not right, or has some corrupted sound files, or it is faulty.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #6,572 of 9,131
I thought I'd share this post from the BTG-Audio cable discussion thread, where Brian is going to be offering Astell and Kern compatible 2.5mm balanced termination on his cables, plus is also offering overmolded mmcx pin connectors as well.

I was speaking with Brian recently and he's had a few new developments I thought I'd share.

- First is his backlog, he's recently gotten it down and is pretty much caught up.  Turn around time is currently about 2 weeks.

- He will be offering Astell & Kern compatible 2.5mm balanced termination.  I believe he will be using the very nice Eidolic plugs that have become quite popular amongst several custom cable manufacturers: http://www.eidolic.com/Eidolic-Hifi-Audio-Headphone-Connectors-2-5.html

- He is now taking pre-orders for his Starlight CIEM cable with MMCX connectors. These MMCX connectors are overmolded for clean, sleeker and professional look. As far as I'm aware, no one else seems to over these overmolded.

Here is the preorder page: http://www.btg-audio.com/webstore.htm#!/Starlight-MMCX-cable-*PRE-ORDER*/p/46669337/category=12112619. Pricing appears to start as low as $102 with standard termination and unsleeved.  Personally I think the Starlight cable looks sexiest unsleeved.  For those that don't know, BTG now uses an ultra thin Y-split that replaces his bulkier version from earlier Starlight production. I have one of the newer 2 pin Starlights with Rhodium Oyaide RA, no sleeving and the ultra sleek Y-Splits and it is fantastic looking on my Legend R.  I'll have to get some pics up soon.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #6,573 of 9,131
Odd issue.  I ripped several thousand Cd's using XLD and compared to master have perfect rips.  On my home stereo, they play flawlessly.  However, several of them play slow on my AK240....like slowing down the speed of a Record.  Anyone experience this?  Any idea the cause or the fix?

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #6,574 of 9,131
Wonder if someone can help me with this issue? Have had my AK240 for about a year. I load 24bit FLAC downloads onto the internal storage of the unit and load 16bit FLAC CD rips onto my 128GB micro SD card in the unit. When I click on Artists the first section will have an "Unknown artist" tab appearing before the first alphabetical artist (currently Albert Lee) and in the Unknown artist section there are several albums (15 at present) where I track only from 15 different loaded albums appear and when I click on one of those tracks to play it I get a message which says "Too many unsupported files. Exiting Music Player". Does anyone know how I can fix this?-I have tried an all media scan on the unit and this has not sorted the issue. It's frustrating as sometimes the "Unknown artists" tracks may reduce in number by a couple and then it more often than not goes back up to the previous level-it only happens with albums loaded onto the SD card and does not happen with the 24bit albums loaded on the internal storage section of the player. Has anyone else had this issue?

Same problem with my AK100II...
Tested 3 128GB cards from 2 different dealers and in 2 different players (Ak100II and my dealers Ak120Ii) ..without success. If I use a 64GB card everything works perfect.
My files are mostly AIFF and ALAC..

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #6,575 of 9,131
Bought the AK240SS couple days ago and spend many hours selecting music to transfer only to have it all disappeared on me. Once is not nice but 3 times in 2 days is very frustrating. This always happens when I transfer DSD files (in addition to it making me reconnect all the time). First it didn't recognise DFF files. The with DSF, it shows the song but when pressing play, it says too many unrecognised format then everything disappeared, empty storage. Then ATF does not see the DAP anymore and I have to do factory reset.

I'm using Macbook with Android File Transfer. I PM Jimmy but no reply from him yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #6,576 of 9,131
Hi there, just got my AK240! Impressed with the build and it is perfect match for my Layla and Angie.. 'm looking for anyone here who owns also the Audioquest Dragonfly (newer revision 1.2)? I have been using this Audioquest DAC for some time already and I'm little disappointed now. AK240 sounds significantly different to Dragonfly, it is missing the brightness and that sparkle in high frequencies. It's kind of dark to me. Anyone who can compare these two? Thanks! :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #6,577 of 9,131
  Hi there, just got my AK240! Impressed with the build and it is perfect match for my Layla and Angie.. 'm looking for anyone here who owns also the Audioquest Dragonfly (newer revision 1.2)? I have been using this Audioquest DAC for some time already and I'm little disappointed now. AK240 sounds significantly different to Dragonfly, it is missing the brightness and that sparkle in high frequencies. It's kind of dark to me. Anyone who can compare these two? Thanks! :)

I have the 1.0 and I don't think the Sabre DAC is that dark compare to the Cirrus Logic.  I think the difference you are hearing are due to amplification more than anything.  However, it has been a while so I might have to retest it a little.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #6,578 of 9,131
  Bought the AK240SS couple days ago and spend many hours selecting music to transfer only to have it all disappeared on me. Once is not nice but 3 times in 2 days is very frustrating. This always happens when I transfer DSD files (in addition to it making me reconnect all the time). First it didn't recognise DFF files. The with DSF, it shows the song but when pressing play, it says too many unrecognised format then everything disappeared, empty storage. Then ATF does not see the DAP anymore and I have to do factory reset.

I'm using Macbook with Android File Transfer. I PM Jimmy but no reply from him yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

no help on the transfers, but I am interested in your impressions of the SS ...

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #6,579 of 9,131
no help on the transfers, but I am interested in your impressions of the SS ...

I love it so far aside from the file transfer issue. I audition AK240 and Cowon P1 prior and actually decided to get P1. Then my dealer called to audition the SS and immediately I changed my mind. I auditioned with Noble K10u. (Still waiting for my custom K10).

The sound was exactly what I was looking for. To me you don't need hires files for good music. I listen to my Hugo with 16/44 files through ground isolator and it sounds better than hires files. Comparing the the original version the first thing I notice is the dark background which results in more details and better sound stage yet retaining AK characters. I'm not very good with words but this sound justify the AK240 pricing IMO. I didn't find the original version sound worth the price it was demanding. It sounds great, but not that last finishing touch to be priced so, that's why I was going for the P1. But now I'm very happy with it and will be estatic when i can resolve the file transfer issue.

Let me know if you want more of my 2cent

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #6,583 of 9,131

Read the previous threads, this might work:
1. Re-Format SD card in PC using windows.
2. After reformatting in windows, reformat SD card in Ak240
3. Proceed to transferring files one by one. Don't do all in one go as some files don't transfer properly and you get disconnected. When that happens something gets corrupted I suspect.
Hope that helps!

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #6,584 of 9,131
Read the previous threads, this might work:
1. Re-Format SD card in PC using windows.
2. After reformatting in windows, reformat SD card in Ak240
3. Proceed to transferring files one by one. Don't do all in one go as some files don't transfer properly and you get disconnected. When that happens something gets corrupted I suspect.
Hope that helps!

My issue is not with SD card. The SD card in the unit is unaffected. 
The problem is the 256gb storage IN the unit itself.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #6,585 of 9,131
Comparing the the original version the first thing I notice is the dark background which results in more details and better sound stage yet retaining AK characters. I'm not very good with words but this sound justify the AK240 pricing IMO. I didn't find the original version sound worth the price it was demanding. It sounds great, but not that last finishing touch to be priced so, that's why I was going for the P1. But now I'm very happy with it and will be estatic when i can resolve the file transfer issue.

Let me know if you want more of my 2cent

Thank you, Somphon, for your reply. A&K makes a big deal about the improved grounding with the SS case, and your assessment seems to substantiate this since a lower noise floor is exactly what I'd expect from improved grounding techniques.

i'm considering one myself but I'm waiting to hear more about pricing (US) and availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back