The Astell & Kern AK240
Dec 29, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #6,259 of 9,131
I hope new flagship of A&K will be 2500-3000.

3000 +... is too much.I think it should be 3000 dolars at max.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #6,261 of 9,131
AK240 II with sound quality of Chord Hugo + 2 SD card slots + 512GB of storage + size of an AK240.
I can pay up to $3,000 for this!

Now your talking. And as much as like the two slots it s the sound first.

Great post but w fat chance at it happening.
Al

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #6,262 of 9,131
I hope new flagship of A&K will be 2500-3000.

3000 +... is too much.I think it should be 3000 dolars at max.

I agree but there seems to a market for crazy high stuff. If thespians very much improved I would buy one. Not that it's bad now . I just prefer the Hugo sound on ciems .

Will,the sound be different ???

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #6,263 of 9,131
I agree but there seems to a market for crazy high stuff. If thespians very much improved I would buy one. Not that it's bad now . I just prefer the Hugo sound on ciems .

Will,the sound be different ???

We can't know about the new model's sound for now,but I hope new flagship will not be much expensive than 3000 dolars.

Already I don't think to buy it for this year.Maybe in the future I can buy it if I have enough money.(I don't wanna spend 3000+)

I will upgrade my iem this summer and continue with my RWAK. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #6,264 of 9,131
With the possible pending release of a new high end DAP from Astell & Kern, they are quickly hitting the ceiling of diminishing returns. While there will always be a market for those who can afford $3,000+ DAP, it becomes a very small pool of buyers. Technology will continue to drive forward and deliver us improvements. With enhancements and new releases come higher gross profits at the high end. Having spent an entire career in the tech industry I've watched it happen time and again. 

I remember when the iPod was first released thinking how it was an expensive audio device. Granted my frame of reference was from being a kid with a Walkman. Now I'm using a P1 and have spent close to $900 for a very satisfying audio experience. Could I buy a $3,000 DAC, yes. Will I spend that kind of money on a newly released portable device? I highly doubt it. Now on the used market, I would probably kick the proverbial tires because of sheer curiosity. At this point the initial sting of buying latest and greatest is reflected in a lower price.

With all that said I do enjoy seeing the new releases that come out each year and continually think about the audio possibilities.

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #6,265 of 9,131
As I am not sure of the sales of these images. I can say the Hugo own has a serial number about 30900
And this is from 7 months or more ago.
They are global
And this is for a dac not a dap. So the sales are there.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #6,266 of 9,131
I've read the Chord Hugo and AK240 reviews which are arguably the best you can get for a mobile setup. However that's $5K right there and I still have a hard time thinking that's the path I want to go down. Is it that much better than a Sony PHA-3 / HiFi M8 / Mini M8 and my iPhone 6? For on the go I mean - do u need that on the go?

I was thinking, "ok" I could also use the Hugo as my end game home DAC (in a setting I can justify it more with the LCD3 and HD 800) with the perk of it also being portable. But that would mean dealing with the Hugo's less than elegant setup over and over (the power button is lame for a $2.5K device, the volume while cool is less immediate than a high quality knob, and recessed hookups are cumbersome). The Bluetooth is nifty though and I'm sure it sounds great but I would rather operate a more user friendly device. For that kind of money I could buy a Burson Conductor Virtuoso which might be enough and that would be more hookup/user friendly.

I guess with the crazy prices of things like the AK240 and Hugo I'm just trying to figure out how far I want to go with it all. And the question of just how big of a mobile setup do I really want. To that end I think just the AK240 without an amp (or the step down model) for on the go with CIEMs would be ok, then a DAC / preamp / headphone amp combo at home would be ideal. How does the A&K step down model fair vs the AK240?

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #6,267 of 9,131
I guess with the crazy prices of things like the AK240 and Hugo I'm just trying to figure out how far I want to go with it all. And the question of just how big of a mobile setup do I really want. To that end I think just the AK240 without an amp (or the step down model) for on the go with CIEMs would be ok, then a DAC / preamp / headphone amp combo at home would be ideal. How does the A&K step down model fair vs the AK240?

Neo, you are complicating things too much by mixing the Chord Hugo and the AK240 into your considerations.  If you object is music on the move get the AK240, or if you need less storage its smaller siblings, and get an SE846 iem or equivalent and enjoy.  Adding the bulk and cost of the Chord Hugo, despite its much lauded merits, does not make mobility sense.  For me the AK240 and the SE846 is a daily pleasure on the train, plane, office or anywhere.  I am constantly amazed at how satisfied I am with the purchase of this kit.  I am in my own private music place regardless of all but the loudest noises in the surrounding environment.  Yeah you are still looking at a $3500 expenditure unless you find a used unit but you will not be disappointed by the experience.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #6,268 of 9,131
The AK240 w/ SE846 is a good choice, but for SQ and portability, the AK120 w/ K10 maybe better.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #6,269 of 9,131
I do tend to over think :)

I think my current system plans should be good for a broad range of possible applications.

Ultra portable high end music rig -

1. JH Audio Layla
2. AK240

Hold me over beginners rig -

1. Audio Technica MSR7
2. Sony PHA-3
3. iPhone 6 / iPad Mini 3 / MacBook Pro Retina

Home headphone rig -

1. LCD3
2. HD800
3. Burson Conductor Virtuoso

Home theater loudspeaker rig -

1. Kef LS50
2. Burson Time Keeper(s)
3. PS4 / PC Tower / Samsung UN55H8000

Ok I'll review it all in 5 years :)

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #6,270 of 9,131
  The AK240 w/ SE846 is a good choice, but for SQ and portability, the AK120 w/ K10 maybe better.

I haven't tried the AK120 or the K10 and the quality of variations in components is a matter of subjective taste so you may be right at least to your ears.  That said, my AK240 and SE846 is one of those few purchases that I don't regret despite the price.  I doubt that he would be disappointed from a sound/performance perspective with either option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back