The Astell & Kern AK240
Nov 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #6,092 of 9,131
Nov 30, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #6,094 of 9,131
Description of PEF12:-

The Astell&Kern Balanced Cable features Neutrik connectors that are renowned in the field of high-end audio equipment for their stable performance and excellent durability.

Specification

Model: Astell&Kern Balanced Cable / PEF12
Compatible Models: AK240, AK120, AK100
Wire Specifications: Crystal Cable Silver / Gold 1.5mm
Terminal Specifications: Neutrik NC3MXB
Pin XLR Cable: European system (Pin (2) = HOT / Pin (3) = COLD)
Cable Length: 1m

Maybe crystal cables are very good in RF rejection, hence no need for shielding and using Pin 1. So 3.5mm is purely for making the 2.5mm connection more secure.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #6,095 of 9,131
Description of PEF12:-

The Astell&Kern Balanced Cable features Neutrik connectors that are renowned in the field of high-end audio equipment for their stable performance and excellent durability.

Specification

Model: Astell&Kern Balanced Cable / PEF12
Compatible Models: AK240, AK120, AK100
Wire Specifications: Crystal Cable Silver / Gold 1.5mm
Terminal Specifications: Neutrik NC3MXB
Pin XLR Cable: European system (Pin (2) = HOT / Pin (3) = COLD)
Cable Length: 1m

Maybe crystal cables are very good in RF rejection, hence no need for shielding and using Pin 1. So 3.5mm is purely for making the 2.5mm connection more secure.

The description of the pin configuration is to indicate what pins 2 and 3 are used for, not that pin 1 is unused. Some manufacturers reverse the 2 and 3 pins. Interestingly, AK indicates it is abiding by european standards, but if my memory serves me correctly, this is the US standard.

When I was in the biz, many of the european lines we carried reversed the pins using pin 2 for cold and pin 3 for hot. This would create an absolute phase issue, so if the preamp did not have a phase switch, we would advise the client to reverse the speaker wire connections on one end (the whole issue of maintaing absolute phase in a sound system is a bit confusing since recording studios often don't concern themselves with maintaing absolute phase in the process of making a recording—there is no consistency with CD releases). If a client was buying new balanced cables, we would have them terminated in reverse fashion, again, if they didn't have a phase switch on their preamp.

That is why many high end preamps have a phase switch, to correct for recordings or reversed pin terminations.

I would be very surprised if pin 1 is unused ... pretty sure it is ground. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #6,097 of 9,131
  ak240 new firmware 1.17 released : p

http://www.iriver.jp/information/entry_775.php

Can anybody read Korean? I think we're all interested in what changes there are.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #6,098 of 9,131
Can anybody read Korean? I think we're all interested in what changes there are.

That's Japanese by the way.

The most important fix is to rectify a bug whereby the player will suddenly play at its loudest volume for DSD file and the addition of a special equalizer for AKT5P.

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #6,099 of 9,131
That's Japanese by the way.

The most important fix is to rectify a bug whereby the player will suddenly play at its loudest volume for DSD file and the addition of a special equalizer for AKT5P.

oh, ok, thank you for the correction and explanation.

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #6,100 of 9,131
Signed up for the Linn December Promotion of 1 Free Hi-Rez download per day, each day in December but didn't write down the code.

It's not in the confirmation email.

Anyone remember the code? Thanks in advance.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #6,101 of 9,131
Signed up for the Linn December Promotion of 1 Free Hi-Rez download per day, each day in December but didn't write down the code.

It's not in the confirmation email.

Anyone remember the code? Thanks in advance.

Confirmation email and code?

If it is the Linn one, there's no code needed, just have to download the tracks within their 4 day window.

Hope this helps..
(am now worried I've missed something about it!)

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #6,102 of 9,131
  ak240 new firmware 1.17 released : p

http://www.iriver.jp/information/entry_775.php

Thanks!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Did anybody update it ? Any changes on sound ?

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #6,103 of 9,131
I am downloading the new 1.17 as i write this

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #6,104 of 9,131
  I am downloading the new 1.17 as i write this

oh good, I don't like downloading new firmware until I hear everything is ok ...

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #6,105 of 9,131
Confirmation email and code?

If it is the Linn one, there's no code needed, just have to download the tracks within their 4 day window.

Hope this helps..
(am now worried I've missed something about it!)

I tried. It's asking for the promo code or to pay $24.95

Users who are viewing this thread

Back