The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 12, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #5,569 of 9,131
Something is overpriced if 1) the price is ridiculous and 2) replaceable. AK240, to me, is 1) expensive but not ridiculous and 2) irreplaceable, at least at the moment. Therefore I wouldn't call it overpriced.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #5,570 of 9,131
I know what he's saying. My laptop bag costs the same. What's the relevance of the pricing of completely different items?
Well if I have to explain it to you then let's not talk about it.

I LIKE THE AK240 BUT THINK THE PRICE IS RIDICULOUS. That is my opinion. If people do not agree or feel offended I could not care less. AK has managed to make people accept a 2.5k pricing for a DAP. They are really good.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #5,571 of 9,131
Well if I have to explain it to you then let's not talk about it.

I LIKE THE AK240 BUT THINK THE PRICE IS RIDICULOUS. That is my opinion. If people do not agree or feel offended I could not care less. AK has managed to make people accept a 2.5k pricing for a DAP. They are really good.

I think comparing the price of the AK240 to a car or TV is ridiculous. That's MY opinion.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #5,573 of 9,131
I have few questions for those who own the AK 240.Please try to replay as honest as you can
:
1,Have you thought what will you do after two years when battery gets wicker will I river replace it for free?
2.Do you regret buying it,does it really worth that price?
3.Do you think the sound is the best ever in a portable dap?
4.How does compare with the Tera Player SQ?
Many thanks guys.

1. Battery life shouldn't really be a concern as even laptops at that price will have the same issue. Basically any electronic item would.
2. & 3. No regrets here as for the price, I don't need a stack or a listening station. I get to carry more music than I can listen to and it looks great. If you actually compare other daps, there's none that are finished in the same detail and good materials as the ak240. They get a check for Ergonomics, aesthetics(not to everyone's taste but it's actually nicer than the photos), functionality (UI), sound quality. It's a high price, but a good package nonetheless as it satisfies all the criterial needed for a good portable.

Think about it, Would you pay 1k++ for a solidly engineered product with an ugly volume knob that's probably worth $15 plus a stupid plastic case that houses plastic buttons and a buggy UI (mimicking old school styling just coz they can't design worth a damn)? Fiio at least tried something different though looks like an apple knock off, but their price is great.
I've held other products but their price justification for something that looks so bad doesn't justify the price. (AK100 actually is in that list as well. Fail for the exposed volume knob)
I'd gladly buy the dx90 as per price/design/functionality..but then their UI and sound is still bested by the Ak240. It's not just about one thing, for me at least, it has to be an amalgamation of good things. So yeah the price is okay. (Not including the 6k really ugly blue note edition, that one is just pure bad taste)

4. Terra player looks really ugly and hard to use. I wouldn't give it a second look. Plus a 1k++ price tag for something so poorly manufactured..it looks like a mod you build w a few bucks.
It sounds harsh I'm sorry but I've seen craziness in this hobby but at least they justify it with great materials and a solid foundation of materials/design/considerations and basically well rounded product.. You know? Diff colored led indicators for diff file types, a window of sorts to see your circuits, carbon fiber housing, Golden tweeters, nautilus inspired housings, blah blah blah they all cost a bomb but they make sure at least it just doesn't sound nice, it looks professionally done. That at least is worth spending for if you have the urge to buy it.. At least when people look at you funny you can say, "try making one yourself".

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #5,574 of 9,131
Hi, community,

I just got my AK240 and so far I'm loving it. I do have a few questions about it, and I would appreciate if someone could take a minute to answer them:

1- The volume button seems wiggly. This is hard to explain, but here it goes: I can visibly rotate it a bit back and forth, and only after that initial movement I feel the "bump" that triggers the actual volume up/down. It feels like its 5 years old, not brand new out of the box. Is this a known issue, is it supposed to be like this, or do I have a faulty unit?
2- I am considering buying the docking station and, so far, I've only seen pictures with it without the leather case. Does anyone know if it will fit in the dock with the case?
3- I have a pair of Shure SE846 with the stock cable, and I am considering getting a balanced cable. Any suggestions which to get?
4- I also read that the battery will last up to 8h, which can be a problem sometimes. I am considering getting an external usb battery, like the ones used for phones, but I have absolutely no clue if that will work, and what I should look for spec-wise (I don't wanna fry my shiny new player). Has anyone tried this, or can give me an idea about what I should look for / avoid?

thanks

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #5,575 of 9,131
Tiagojsag, let me try to share my experience in response to your questions:

1.  It seems to depend on the unit but most seem to move very freely.  Mine is not as tight as one would expect but works well for one handed use.  

2.  Don't know, don't have one, never felt I needed it. Suspect that it needs to be out of the case.

3.  I also have the Shure SE846.  Bought balanced Silver Dragon cable from Moon Audio.  The plug lost connection if rotated certain ways.  When I complained to Moon Audio the response was that the female receptor on the AK240 is unreliable.  I have read from others who have not had the experience with other suppliers.  In view of the problem and response I would not recommend that you order a balanced cable for the AK240 from Moon Audio.  

4.  External batteries work fine.   I have the Jockery.

Stingo

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #5,576 of 9,131
  Tiagojsag, let me try to share my experience in response to your questions:

1.  It seems to depend on the unit but most seem to move very freely.  Mine is not as tight as one would expect but works well for one handed use.  

2.  Don't know, don't have one, never felt I needed it. Suspect that it needs to be out of the case.

3.  I also have the Shure SE846.  Bought balanced Silver Dragon cable from Moon Audio.  The plug lost connection if rotated certain ways.  When I complained to Moon Audio the response was that the female receptor on the AK240 is unreliable.  I have read from others who have not had the experience with other suppliers.  In view of the problem and response I would not recommend that you order a balanced cable for the AK240 from Moon Audio.  

4.  External batteries work fine.   I have the Jockery.

Stingo

Thanks for taking the time to answer :) I was actually considering the Moon Audio, since they were pretty much the only ones I found when I googled this (didn't look very hard, tbh). Guess I'll have to look a bit more into the subject, and find an alternative.

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #5,577 of 9,131
Thanks for taking the time to answer :) I was actually considering the Moon Audio, since they were pretty much the only ones I found when I googled this (didn't look very hard, tbh). Guess I'll have to look a bit more into the subject, and find an alternative.

I got my silver balanced cable from Ted's Headphone Lounge, see the thread. Cheap and great build quality.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,580 of 9,131

Or .....

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back