The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 10, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #5,551 of 9,131
Hi, I need some help with my new 240. When I use it as a USB DAC connected to a MacBook and the headphone output is connected to a Fosgate signature amp the volume is low and I have the unit set to Line Out.
When I use it as a DAP with a pair of Grado's plugged in and the Line Out is turned off I have to turn the volume up to 70-75 to achieve a decent volume. am I missing something? Thanks

Which grado?   Some are easy to drive and others are hard and really need to be amped.

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #5,555 of 9,131
Yes, I tried them with my LCD2's and it definitely had more output. I've ordered some balanced jacks and I'm going to terminate the LCD2 with a balanced jack.

jack   plug    
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #5,556 of 9,131
I have few questions for those who own the AK 240.Please try to replay as honest as you can
:
1,Have you thought what will you do after two years when battery gets wicker will I river replace it for free?
2.Do you regret buying it,does it really worth that price?
3.Do you think the sound is the best ever in a portable dap?
4.How does compare with the Tera Player SQ?
Many thanks guys.

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #5,557 of 9,131
I have few questions for those who own the AK 240.Please try to replay as honest as you can
:
1,Have you thought what will you do after two years when battery gets wicker will I river replace it for free?
Many thanks guys.

1. No, it won't be for free, but I recharge it only a few times per week on average so I am not too worried
2. No, it is actually more than worth the price IMO
3. Absolutely yes
4. Don't care

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #5,558 of 9,131
:
Many thanks guys.
I doubt I will have to worry about the battery. I do not regret buying it and use it most of all my DAPs but still find it overpriced. The sound is on par or slightly below 901 but thr overall package is better. The Tera sounds very different. More natural while ak240 is more neutral and detailed, easier to pair.

I really like my RWAK240, but people thinking a DAP at 2500$ is more than worth the price mean they would have paid 3k for it. Get real people. It is overpriced. We accept it because it is the best all rounder but that's it. You can get an incredible LED TV or a used car at that price.

Oct 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #5,559 of 9,131
Oct 11, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #5,563 of 9,131
:
Many thanks guys.

1. Today's battery could last longer than 2 years.  But with my frequency of usage (Mon-Fri, +/- 5 hours), it might have a much lower performance after 2 years.  Don't think iRiver will replace it for free (or they are bother to replace it for us?).

2. Answer your question differently...if AK launched the 3 new models at the same time I might make a different choice.  The good thing for the 240 is that you won't have some after thought on craving for another TOTL DAP as it is as good as it is and there is not too many competition (at the moment).

3. Everyone has their preference and 240 suits my taste and I'm happy with it.

4. 240's Sound stage, details all better than the TP.  As mentioned by other fellow headfiers, TP is more analog but is much more picky in matching the right IEM (I don't comment on headphones and I don't own many only one).

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #5,564 of 9,131
I really like my RWAK240, but people thinking a DAP at 2500$ is more than worth the price mean they would have paid 3k for it. Get real people. It is overpriced. We accept it because it is the best all rounder but that's it. You can get an incredible LED TV or a used car at that price.

I paid 2499 EURO for it. That is still way more than $3k, and I accept it because I have listened to an incredible LED TV and a used car, but neither one of those sounded better than my AK240, so...
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #5,565 of 9,131

Talk about apples and oranges. Comparing a car or TV to a DAP? Hellsbells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back