The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #5,401 of 9,131
Did you also adjust the "sound" app on the Mac to play via ak240. You don't need an amp, I have same setup, but once it's running, only way to adjust the volume is by making sure the screen is on when u adjust volume when used as dac.

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #5,402 of 9,131
Did you also adjust the "sound" app on the Mac to play via ak240. You don't need an amp, I have same setup, but once it's running, only way to adjust the volume is by making sure the screen is on when u adjust volume when used as dac.

Thanks.

What's the "sound" app on the Mac?

I've configured: use the AK240 for sound output in the Audio MIDI Setup...

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #5,403 of 9,131
Ok. It's working! Thanks!!

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #5,404 of 9,131
The higher up the chain you go the more issues there are. That is a general rule for all Hifi and indeed for most tech.
If you pay a fortune for a Ferrari you will find it spends a lot more time in the garage being fixed than would a cheap Ford.

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #5,405 of 9,131
I tried another remastered old recording from 1961 and some parts were totally unlistenable on 1.16.

Downgraded to 1.15 and now all good again.:)

Hi my-2000 hing,
I have exactly the same feeling as you have after upgrade my AK240 to v1.16 firmware.
I really want to change back to v1.15 for my AK240, could you share with me how to do.
Thanks
Vincent

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #5,406 of 9,131
The higher up the chain you go the more issues there are. That is a general rule for all Hifi and indeed for most tech.
If you pay a fortune for a Ferrari you will find it spends a lot more time in the garage being fixed than would a cheap Ford.

This is not true anymore Ferrari of old yes like jag and some others newer ones no not as much very reliable and great to drive ....most tech? No not most anymore Apple set the bar pretty high in quality and AK would do something to learn from that i owns 2 AK 240 they said well from what I kept hearing the volume issue would be taken care of this update ......not just that I really feel as I've wrote before they need to get the issues ironed out before going to another model not saying they're working on one but still...you demand more money but you don't finish what it is you set out to do before moving on this is not good .....and I've made comparisons with Apple before .....since you mentioned tech all tech companies today especially ones who make hardware or even having it made by someone else is having to step it up in quality if they want to sell in the top end no one wants to settle for half *ss quality anymore and pay premium prices ....no one....the AK240 is great but if you look at the latest smartphones and other devices and what can come close, I was using the Onkyo high res player app on my iPod touch before and still do sometimes its a great app now if you add a Hugo or other top end small amp you have a very capable player ...AK and others need to start thinking and being real when it comes to what they're putting out you can no longer just put yourself in the high end and expect to be all.... you gonna have to show it .....there are going to be more and more products coming out in the future and if you don't put out great well made things you will eventually be put out ......I'm not ranting just making facts be known about how things are headed in the not to near future ☺️

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #5,407 of 9,131
Hi my-2000 hing,
I have exactly the same feeling as you have after upgrade my AK240 to v1.16 firmware.
I really want to change back to v1.15 for my AK240, could you share with me how to do.
Thanks
Vincent

For SQ,  1.16 is obviously less refined and smooth . 3d and layering is not as beautiful as 1.15. I don't know why Iriver has to alter the sq so much
mad.gif

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #5,410 of 9,131
iriver should allow user to select different firmware for their preference of sound character on choice.

I don't understand why A&K changes the timbre with some of the firmware updates. Whose to say which version sounds best since we all have different preferences. If the tonal change is due to extracting greater resolution from source material, I suppose I could then understand why there might be a subtle change, but I'm not reading any posts that suggest enhanced resolution.

I'm holding off on the update because I love the way my 240 sounds with my XCs. If anyone has any commentary about any resolution differences and whether the update impacts all file formats equally, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #5,411 of 9,131
I just switched back to 1.15
The new release clearly changed the sound. I don't think it's a placebo effect. I have Shure se846 with peptide v2 balanced cables. I have the feeling 1.16 gives more details on meds. Voices are more detailed, bass are more neutral but... I have simply less pleasure than 1.15 ! The sound is less rich, "fat", less emotions. Maybe 1.16 with some adjustments on the EQ plus be the choice to do but I loved 1.15 sound signature and was really disappointed with 1.16
My feelings, my perception
1.16 : more neutral, more details, less pleasure.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #5,412 of 9,131
have taken some time and was goving forward and backwards with the firmware with 2 of my headphones
and my sure se846. in short, 1.15 has for me more a live character, soundstage more in front, punchy bass,
neutral mids, highs are perfect, 1.16 is more a studio character, soundstage no so in the front, little less
punchy bass but better structured, neutral mid with a great sense for voices, highs a little bit to bright for
my taste.

1.16 reminds me the soundsignature of my sr-009, at the beginning it was hard to listen to music no to the
details, also the bass could be punchyer for my taste, the highs on the brighter side. after a half year i
realised that these headphones are the perfects off all i have - but, that means a lot of my albums don't sound
good with these headphones, if the record is bad ore bad mastered its sounds bad. if i could only have one
headphones the sr-009 is for me a no go.

i like 1.15 better with my th-900, 1.16 brightness is a no go with the fostex. 1.15 is fun to hear even if the bass
is to strong with the fostex. with the se846 i like 1.16 more, for me the se846 are overpowered in the bass, thats
fit with 1.16, the highs are on the slim side so a good fit for 1.16. with my ath-w3000 both firmware played well,
1.16 is here great with the voices, 1.15 great for the slim bass of the ath-w3000.

overall, i think 1.16 is more correct in the measure department, the highs have a real problem on some head-
phones, mids are great. 1.15 is a better fit to a wide range of headphones. if you find the right partner the
questions is at the end if you like more a live or a studio soundsignature.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #5,413 of 9,131
Anyone know any techies over at iriver to see if the sound changes are deliberate or just some strange side effect? Would be a pain to have this for every update.....like Russian roulette!!

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #5,414 of 9,131
Hi koub78 & rumina,

Thank you for your observations. Since my XCs have tremendous clarity in the mids/upper mids and bass performance that is a tad on the lean side, I think I'll stick with v1.15 for now.

Sep 22, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #5,415 of 9,131
I've searched through the thread but can't find an answer to this.

Does anyone know how to clear the automatically generated playlists on the AK? Since I did all my music transfers this weekend I now have a "Recently added" playlist with 11,000 tracks on it. I'd like to clear this away so that as I add actual "new" tracks I can easily get to them.

I tried tap/hold to see if the trash interface would come up, but no joy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back