The Astell & Kern AK240
Jul 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #4,366 of 9,131
  Hi Guy,

When i rotate my 2.5mm jack, the jack get pushed out by a little bit and caused the right channel got no sound. I tried 3 AK240 gold version they all same, I also tried with 2 other grey version and they are ok. Anyone with Gold version having the same issue? P/S: i tried 2 different adapter, 2 others cable (Toxic & Wagnus) all having the same problem. 

Thanks in advance. 

Me and my friend's are the gold version and we have the same problem when using the balanced cables of AKR03 Roxanne. On mine, when i rotate the 2.5mm TRRS 90degree bend facing out of the screen, one channel no sound while my friend's need to physically push up the 90degree bend cable to have sound on both channels. So we requested replacement balanced cable of which we have yet to receive. Hopefully its the AKR03 cable problem, else we would need to sent it back for warranty claim. Was told its very common problem and JHA has problem wiring 8cables to the tiny 2.5mm TRRS 90degree bend socket. I was thinking if the problem will go away if we change the 2.5mm TRRS socket to those straight ones instead of 90degree bend. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #4,368 of 9,131
  Me and my friend's are the gold version and we have the same problem when using the balanced cables of AKR03 Roxanne. On mine, when i rotate the 2.5mm TRRS 90degree bend facing out of the screen, one channel no sound while my friend's need to physically push up the 90degree bend cable to have sound on both channels. So we requested replacement balanced cable of which we have yet to receive. Hopefully its the AKR03 cable problem, else we would need to sent it back for warranty claim. Was told its very common problem and JHA has problem wiring 8cables to the tiny 2.5mm TRRS 90degree bend socket. I was thinking if the problem will go away if we change the 2.5mm TRRS socket to those straight ones instead of 90degree bend. 

Hi Thx.

Seem like your having issue with the connector and your friend likely problem with the cable. You may want to check if the 2.5mm jack get push out of you rotate the connector slightly, less than 1mm.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #4,369 of 9,131
I've heard this may be a problem with early units shipped to the Japan region. Craig over at Whiplash mentioned it to me. I posted his responce here about a month ago.

Thx, i didn't follow this thread closely until recent. Should have search for it.

Jul 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #4,370 of 9,131
  Hi Thx.

Seem like your having issue with the connector and your friend likely problem with the cable. You may want to check if the 2.5mm jack get push out of you rotate the connector slightly, less than 1mm.

I did check by slowly rotating the connector. somehow its not 100% inline, seems like a little bit slanting. and yes, upon certain position, it seems to be push out a little bit. making me nervous now. i wonder how long it takes to get a replacement if the new replacement cable still gives the same problem. 

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #4,371 of 9,131
I did check by slowly rotating the connector. somehow its not 100% inline, seems like a little bit slanting. and yes, upon certain position, it seems to be push out a little bit. making me nervous now. i wonder how long it takes to get a replacement if the new replacement cable still gives the same problem. 

My is exactly like what you describe. I believe your case is the player rather than cable., I hope I'm wrong.

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #4,372 of 9,131
frown.gif
 shall post up the result once i got my hands on the replacement cable.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #4,373 of 9,131
  True, but I'm talking about the general population as a whole... most people don't go around buying $7000 phones.  In today's market, new phones are amazing and they keep getting better -- even with the trend towards subsidized phones, $600-$800 is still not that unreasonable for a multipurpose item.  I think DAPs will have to evolve quickly, become a lot cheaper and better, or they soon be displaced by... dare I say the phone?  Phones have already displaced watches, cameras, video cameras (HD video soon too -- goodbye Gopro...lol).  Perhaps some phone makers will upgrade their audio portions of their phones and for the majority of us, these new phone will be good enough given the convenience of carrying a single item that does everything.  I'm sure like everything else, there will always be market for specialized devices such as DAPs, cameras, etc. that offer amazing performance, but with a limited population to sell to innovation will be slow (like now), items will still be somewhat clunky, we'll all be beta-testers and prices will remain high.       

Absolutely right...in this digital world everything moves so quickly.  Life span of tech might only last for 2-3 years and there will be new stuff displacing the old.

Hopeful my time pieces still appreciating over time.

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #4,374 of 9,131

Not to cause any worry for those who got the first batch of 240s, but I heard from a source that there is an issue with the 2.5mm jack in the early production models that may cause a channel to drop out. Current production models do not have this problem.

I haven't had this issue with either of the 240s I've owned. My first one was one of the first off the boat, but it later developed a volume control issue. It was replaced by iriver, and since I got it a couple months ago, I  purchased a DHC cable for the balanced out ... no problems so far. Since I didn't have my DHC cable when I had my first 240, I never tried the balanced output.

I got one of the first units in Hong Kong and never had the 2.5mm drop out issue my two 2.5mm trrs terminated cables.  One used the Ranko jack, and the other one the same "Sennheiser" jack that was used by Whiplash (in quotes as I highly doubt these chinese made 2.5mm jacks branded as "Sennheiser" has anything to do with Sennheiser).

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #4,375 of 9,131

I got one of the first units in Hong Kong and never had the 2.5mm drop out issue my two 2.5mm trrs terminated cables.  One used the Ranko jack, and the other one the same "Sennheiser" jack that was used by Whiplash (in quotes as I highly doubt these chinese made 2.5mm jacks branded as "Sennheiser" has anything to do with Sennheiser).

I think all Asian AK240 Gold Limited Editions x300units are all from ECT HK (if i am not wrong). So maybe we should cross check on the serial numbers on our units. really do hope its not the AK 2.5mm TRRS socket problem.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #4,376 of 9,131

I'm glad your 240 is fine. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #4,377 of 9,131

I have the Ranko and did it DIY and never had any problems with the 240.

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #4,378 of 9,131
I think all Asian AK240 Gold Limited Editions x300units are all from ECT HK (if i am not wrong). So maybe we should cross check on the serial numbers on our units. really do hope its not the AK 2.5mm TRRS socket problem.

here my SN for the 1st unit, will update my 2nd unit SN late.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #4,379 of 9,131
I can't transfer music onto the ak240. It says the device has stopped working or has been disconnected. But when I rename the folder name it can transfer without problems.

I deleted the same music folder from the ak240 while it was playing. Could this have caused a glitch?

I am using Windows.

Help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back