The Astell & Kern AK240
Jul 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #4,021 of 9,131
Frank I, I'm just reading your review now, I assume the references to the ak240 II are an oversight, or is my new ak240 the old model already?
smily_headphones1.gif

That has been corrected- there is only one ak240. LOL I only write them and send them in. There was a change to the ak100 and 120 and the 11 designation and needed  to be added so when it was changed the ak240 which was listed correctly got changed also. It is fixed now

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #4,022 of 9,131
Could some of the people here who have tinnitus let me know more how they got it?

I'm just trying to be precautious. I generally do my listening at 30 up to 50 (I use Pico Slim and Westone ES5+iPod). Sometimes I may go higher, but for 3 - 5 minutes max.

I'm sorry if this question is uncomfortable for you and I won't mind if you don't want to answer it.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #4,024 of 9,131
  Could some of the people here who have tinnitus let me know more how they got it?

I'm just trying to be precautious. I generally do my listening at 30 up to 50 (I use Pico Slim and Westone ES5+iPod). Sometimes I may go higher, but for 3 - 5 minutes max.

I'm sorry if this question is uncomfortable for you and I won't mind if you don't want to answer it.

I'm sure that it had to do with too many loud concerts and blasting my music at home.  I'm much more cautious about protecting my hearing these days - earplugs at concerts, lower listening levels.  I wish I had been more aware in the past!

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #4,027 of 9,131

Like Solude and Frank, loud concerts without protection. I can actually remember leaning against loudspeakers in clubs, walking out of many shows with my ears ringing for hours and hours.

The other way I caused it, was riding motorcycles at high speeds without a helmet. Let me tell you, at 70 mph, the wind in your ears is LOUD. And for a while I ran pipes without baffles........

Its funny that this is coming up now, here. I am a member of the Jeff Beck blog and we were just talking about it there. BTW,  I am trying to find our what brand IEM Jeff uses if anyone knows.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #4,028 of 9,131

Aging will do it. My audiologist proffered that as I aged, and my hearing deteriorated, I was straining to hear. That stress caused the tinnitus. Hearing aids really helped, but there's no real cure. Allergies can do it. Avoiding prolonged loud listening is a great idea. But as others have said, ultimately you learn to ignore.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4,029 of 9,131
Not sure where mine came from, I think just generally playing loud music too often when I was a student, and half a year doing a DJ slot at the local club in my early 20s.  It seems common in our family though, while the condition itself isn't hereditary I expect having ears that damage fairly easily could be.

I notice it more when I'm tired or stressed and especially when I have a headache.

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #4,030 of 9,131
  That has been corrected- there is only one ak240. LOL I only write them and send them in. There was a change to the ak100 and 120 and the 11 designation and needed  to be added so when it was changed the ak240 which was listed correctly got changed also. It is fixed now

Believe it or not, after 100's of rock shows and literally 1,000's more hours of listening to music louder than I should have, my tinnitus developed when I spent 12-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week for about 6 months in a computer Data Center without hearing protection, noise level was around 70-80 db, but it was continuous. I wish I had that to do over again. A couple hours of really loud music is much safer than several hours of constant moderate levels. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #4,031 of 9,131
  Believe it or not, after 100's of rock shows and literally 1,000's more hours of listening to music louder than I should have, my tinnitus developed when I spent 12-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week for about 6 months in a computer Data Center without hearing protection, noise level was around 70-80 db, but it was continuous. I wish I had that to do over again. A couple hours of really loud music is much safer than several hours of constant moderate levels. 

Yep. Likely where I got mine.  While the noise isn't what it used to be in data centers with the old water cooled mainframes it's still noisy.  We now give our operations staff ER ear plugs.  

Jul 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #4,032 of 9,131
  Yep. Likely where I got mine.  While the noise isn't what it used to be in data centers with the old water cooled mainframes it's still noisy.  We now give our operations staff ER ear plugs.  

Yeah I wish I had thought of it at the time, live and learn I suppose. I try to spread the wisdom I learned to the younger guys so that they are at least mindful of it.

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #4,033 of 9,131

Mine is a permanent side effect of the chemotherapy I had 4 years ago.  I suggest avoiding chemo if at all possible!!
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back