The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #2,161 of 9,131
To be honest, the AK240 hasn't really excited me the way it has to the crowd here very simply that for the asking price I (like everyone else) have high expectations from it. I have no doubt it may well be "the best DAP in the market now" but that really doesn't mean much to me.

If I come across it, I'll give it a listen. If not, it hasn't really been a big deal.
I feel more or less the same...just wish there was another complete offer for half the price.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2,162 of 9,131
I feel more or less the same...just wish there was another complete offer for half the price.

I had the opportunity to listen to the 240 for a few minutes but I did not have my RWAK at the time to compare. However, it seems to me that the SQ difference is not that much. I would rely on some other comparison that could provide more specific conclusions. Functionality aside, I am interested in the best SQ. I hope someone can provide any feedback about this...

Best

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #2,164 of 9,131
I think it depends on location. I saw US posters saying available for $115 but not posting outside states!!

In Hong Kong I've seen for $899 HK dollers which about 115 US and 68 gbp from jd.com. They may ship but site in Chinese. I will get my wife to translate for me.

The site will ship to HK but the prices are in RMB not HKD  so RMB899 is about HKD1135

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #2,165 of 9,131
I had the opportunity to listen to the 240 for a few minutes but I did not have my RWAK at the time to compare. However, it seems to me that the SQ difference is not that much. I would rely on some other comparison that could provide more specific conclusions. Functionality aside, I am interested in the best SQ. I hope someone can provide any feedback about this...

Best

Even if equal, if it's a one piece solution that's would be a reason for me to change

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #2,166 of 9,131
  Is there balanced out?

Yes, the 240 has Balanced Out...but, it's an odd-ball, as in good luck finding a high quality 2.5mm (!) TRRS. 

Come to think of it...why the fluck didn't Astell & Kern include a suitably high quality (non-magnetic) 2.5mm TRRS plug with their "Master Quality AK240".

It's like: "Here's your balanced connection, but we here at AK, used the lowest quality iPhone/Mp3 style connector made....isn't that great?...
frown.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #2,167 of 9,131

Yes, the 240 has Balanced Out...but, it's an odd-ball, as in good luck finding a high quality 2.5mm (!) TRRS. 

Come to think of it...why the fluck didn't Astell & Kern include a suitably high quality (non-magnetic) 2.5mm TRRS plug with their "Master Quality AK240".

It's like: "Here's your balanced connection, but we here at AK, used the lowest quality iPhone/Mp3 style connector made....isn't that great?...
frown.gif

How could their partner ALO Audio make money if they include it?
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #2,168 of 9,131
Personally, I like the look!

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,171 of 9,131
  http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/SanDisk/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Android-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Class-10-UHS-1-30MB_s

128GB card available from the above. Wondered if paying £85 is too much for it?

Amazon UK have Transcend 128GB £72 and SanDisk 128GB £85 both recommended by A&K in Owner Manual. Both Class 10.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #2,172 of 9,131

frown.gif

Yes I agree. I was convinced I needed 'something special' when I ordered my balance cable from Teds Headfood. It took him an age to explain that it was just a normal (very) plug. Ho Hum.
BTW ALO said, and I quote, if I wanted a balanced cable 'special' for my IE800 that they 'would ask the guys to CONSIDER doing it'. Jess, are they retired Merchant Bankers. Nearly did a typo there.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #2,173 of 9,131

Maybe you can help me with the issue I'm having with the Windows version? It just doesn't start, gives me an error related to c:\Windows\System32\urlmon.dll (can't find access point AppCacheLookup in that dll). I'm on Windows 8.1 x64.

And I second another poster...will that XLR adapter block be sold soon?

I've ran into that problem myself recently on a recently purchased Dell Venue Pro 8 (Win 8.1 x86) when trying to install the MQS Streaming Server program.

I've reported to the dev team and I'm hopeful an update will address this issue. I'll keep you guys updated.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #2,174 of 9,131
After watching Jude's little UI video this thing seems to really rock.  The streaming stuff is very cool!  Since we will all probably still have our phones on us, would anyone be willing to see how streaming performance is over a 3G and/or LTE hotspot from their phone (which would have to be VPNed to your home network)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back