The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 30, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,411 of 9,131
DMA Audio in Kowloon *might* have a demo (soon) but most likely they're closing early today since it's CNY tomorrow

http://www.post76.com/x2/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=180139

HK$20,800 for sure

http://www.dma-audio.com/product_detail.php?id=2318

Would really like to see a review first before deciding whether to get it or not...

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #1,412 of 9,131
Hi all,

Just to let you know i've had a sample of the AK240 for just over a week now, and have already had 3 OTA firmware updates. They are continuously working to make this a flawless and seamless operating system that makes it pleasurable to use. so expect more frequent updates with this model than the previous A&K units.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,413 of 9,131
  Hi all,

Just to let you know i've had a sample of the AK240 for just over a week now, and have already had 3 OTA firmware updates. They are continuously working to make this a flawless and seamless operating system that makes it pleasurable to use. so expect more frequent updates with this model than the previous A&K units.

Good to know at least they are committed to this one, guess AK120 is going to be probably neglected for a long while.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #1,414 of 9,131
  Good to know at least they are committed to this one, guess AK120 is going to be probably neglected for a long while.

Hi,

Although they are focusing their efforts on the AK240 - they will continue to support and update firmware for the AK100 and AK120 as both models will continue to be manufactured and sold.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #1,415 of 9,131
As long as i have been on this forum there have been people saying lesser priced things are giant killers, i have yet to experience any of them that actually were! The classic are the JDS labs products. People go one about them being technically perfect and so they think that makes it sound better but each piece I have heard have sounded good but no where near as good as people make out unless you think measuring well means good sound quality.

I found them to have zero musical emotional involvement.

haha..... Ian, you know Calyx is in no way a "smaller thing" at least in terms of reputation in high-end world... check their site and you will understand why i feel so excited.
name wise and quality wise iRiver to Calyx is like simple Brut to Roederer Cristal
tongue.gif

so i will be surprised if M does not sound as good as AK240.
feature wise AK240 will defeat M easily but i am looking for ultimate sound and do not care about DSD and else gimmicks for which i have proper sized front end.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,416 of 9,131
When I was younger ( and richer :)  ... ) I had a megalomane  era in hifi   , but let me say you : some system costs $300.000,- does NOT sounds better and does not worth 10 times than some  "cheapo" for $30.000,-.... It's all about business ! Of course it's no problem . If there is a market where you can sell your product - do that! For everybody else : enjoy the music on your rig what you have and like!

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #1,417 of 9,131
  When I was younger ( and richer :)  ...

haha... normally you would say - when i was younger and poorer
biggrin.gif

some system costs $300.000,- does NOT sounds better and does not worth 10 times than some "cheapo" for $30.000,-....

no disagreement here, it's all about personal preferences and synergy. some cheaper equipment can have amazing synergy and some megabuck equipment might not go together. i would also add that a well played 30K grand piano will always sound better than a 100K grand so-so played. while casual listener will be unable to tell apart a Yamaha grand from Steinway grand
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,418 of 9,131
When I was younger ( and richer :)  ... ) I had a megalomane  era in hifi   , but let me say you : some system costs $300.000,- does NOT sounds better and does not worth 10 times than some  "cheapo" for $30.000,-.... It's all about business ! Of course it's no problem . If there is a market where you can sell your product - do that! For everybody else : enjoy the music on your rig what you have and like!

You can always pay more than what you get.
However you will never get more than what you pay!

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,419 of 9,131

haha... normally you would say - when i was younger and poorer
biggrin.gif

no disagreement here, it's all about personal preferences and synergy. some cheaper equipment can have amazing synergy and some megabuck equipment might not go together. i would also add that a well played 30K grand piano will always sound better than a 100K grand so-so played. while casual listener will be unable to tell apart a Yamaha grand from Steinway grand
tongue.gif

yes its lol, i had 300k high end equipment before some 40-45 years ago , its very lol.  
wink.gif

you're a musician - if i understand well... 

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,420 of 9,131
  yes its lol, i had 300k high end equipment before some 40-45 years ago , its very lol.  
wink.gif

you're a musician - if i understand well...

no, i am amateur, played time ago in school and DJing but have many friends from music world.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,421 of 9,131
I think the fault there lays entirely with the mastering. Genuinely neutral gear should amplify the sound exactly as recorded and replay it exactly as recorded. The boredom is a result of the mastering. Or the performance..

Disagree completely with this statement. Part of my work is in a recording studio. We want neutrality in there so as to create a good mix. At home the last thing you want is that! When I listen in the studio i listen for faults in the recording process. When I listen at home I want to be entertained just as the performer wants me entertained. Listening to a pure signal through equipment that is neutral is not listening to a musical performance I feel.

This is where people who say they want to hear it how we hear it in the studio get it wrong. None of us (least all the people i know in the industry) would ever want to listen to music at home through the systems we have in the studio. That is an analytical tool to make sure the end product is correct. Most of the people I know in the industry listen through equipment that the designers at JDS or those on the SS forum would deride in a heart beat.

Remember, music is an emotional experience, not analysis!

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #1,422 of 9,131
  Hi all,

That's all great - but until we see some real details on the differences between 120 and 240 in usability...

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #1,423 of 9,131

That's all great - but until we see some real details on the differences between 120 and 240 in usability...

What would you like to know? I have a unit to hand and am more than happy to offer specifics.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,425 of 9,131
Well specifically how long would it take for you to ship this particular unit to me in Shanghai? Just for comparison purposes of course. I would take no pleasure in it.

Lol Mimouille, I suggest you contact a local dealer or distributor in order to audition an AK240 and get to know the interface :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back