The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #1,231 of 9,131
So this is as good as it gets so far for digitally delivered sq. Does anyone have any further insight into what Neil Young has got going with his Pono system reportedly heading to the marketplace this March?

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,232 of 9,131
So this is as good as it gets so far for digitally delivered sq. Does anyone have any further insight into what Neil Young has got going with his Pono system reportedly heading to the marketplace this March?

bs prob...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #1,238 of 9,131

Oh that made me laugh this Sunday morning, Youngs player has been heading this way for at least two years! :wink:

Oh, and that scratching video made me cringe. Did you notice though that it was the metal from the key that was coming off.. Word of warning kiddies, don't scratch the 240 with your keys, they may not work in your lock when you get home !:D
And as for doing that with a 2.4k player, heck I saw someone do that on the sapphire crystal of a Patek complication to show is resilience to scratching. I asked the dealer (for I was at an event showcasing them at a local watch store) how much the crystal would be to replace. He reckoned about 3K as it was a complication so not many are made and the crystal is specific to the watch.. Makes the player seem cheap now eh !:wink: :D

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,239 of 9,131
I know. I know. But he just announced publicly that it will be fully unveiled at this year's SXSW Festival in early March. He's got major recorded labels on board and Meridian is a partner in the hardware. The thing I find most intriguing is that it seems nobody knows or at least is talking about the specifics if how it works, what type of equipment will be involved and whether it's pricing will be in reach for anyone other than the 1% elite and wealthy.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,240 of 9,131
I know. I know. But he just announced publicly that it will be fully unveiled at this year's SXSW Festival in early March. He's got major recorded labels on board and Meridian is a partner in the hardware. The thing I find most intriguing is that it seems nobody knows or at least is talking about the specifics if how it works, what type of equipment will be involved and whether it's pricing will be in reach for anyone other than the 1% elite and wealthy.

Hopefully it doesn't still resemble a Toblerone bar. I wish him the best - few people put their money where their mouth is like Neil.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,242 of 9,131
Personally I applaud market forces, if enough people by the AK240 at the going rate, good luck to AK/I-river, if it fails, it fails, either way, well done market forces...

Some people thought I was barking when I spent a little under £600 (UK money), but it's coming up to 2 years now and I don't think I've spent a single minute regretting the expense...

The thought of spending around three times that amount does make my eyes water, but I get the same feeling seeing some car prices, or house prices, or restaurant prices for that matter, each potential customer needs to make up their own mind and I don't either of us will be spending our cash on the AK240, but I'm looking forward to hearing from those who do...

Consumerism is all just a game. Most people into hi fi are middle class, middle of the road kind of guys...it's the nature of the developed world...we like our toys.some have bigger ones than others. Nobody said it was equal...but diversity is usually a good thing. What is expensive today, is often cheap tomorrow. As long as AK are innovating, then we all stand to gain.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,243 of 9,131
Consumerism is all just a game. Most people into hi fi are middle class, middle of the road kind of guys...it's the nature of the developed world...we like our toys.some have bigger ones than others. Nobody said it was equal...but diversity is usually a good thing. What is expensive today, is often cheap tomorrow. As long as AK are innovating, then we all stand to gain.

not necessarily, in high-end you will be glued to your equipment if it sounds to your wish. i am often afraid to change components in my rig unless i am very sure and so new gear will not excite me personally unless sound improvements stellar. i am still debating digital media players usibility vs. old school Mac+DAC+USB bridge to Spdif solution and i am in No rush despite good offers. i will hate to upgrade if there no audible sound improvement and i would be pissed off if hear a sign of digitis artifacts which unfortunately come too oft. same goes about Macs, i use 24' iMac because silly Apple skipped DVD drive from later editions and i need buy and connect it extra which decreases reliability copying IMHO... so i gave a new 27' to my daughter and kept older 24' to me. oh, and i keep Snow Leopard on all my Macs because this is most reliable best OS i ever had.

coming to ak240 issue i want a DAP which i use on the go, which can offer me front end rig quality sound and so i forget about upgrades for next five years. i already found an IEM 1plus2 which i believe is the end game for me and so if i buy a new one will be the same 1plus2, and i could not care less what competition offers because i found my sound. now issue is finding a DAP which will be similar to 1p2 in offering stellar musicality and real stage sensation.

PS :p

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,244 of 9,131

Neil has a mouth for sure... just ask Lynyrd Skynyd...
wink_face.gif

definition of irony... complain about the quality of music reproduction but allow your music to be sold on iTunes in mp3 format.

Such is life when you don't have your own record label - he could have started his own if he wanted to, but for whatever reason, didn't. I guess he likes model trains more...

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,245 of 9,131
Truditional hi end has been shrinking for a few years now.
And I feel this is the new Hi end now.
I have had speaker rigs for all my life but the past ten years
I now have both speakers and this , weather headphones or IEM s or both

What i see in this is this market is growing fast
And not the nish market people here will say it is

I do not know overall how many tens or 100 ,s
Of millions it is now. But just looking at how the hi end shops
Have been steadtiy going away while the cyber companies just keep coming.
As such there will be winners and loosers
But this is big business for us here and now
It allows the class we all are to obtain a 100k
System for about 1/5 of that now.
Any thoughts on this ??

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back